Repairing Scratches on Formica

Over time your laminate countertops can get scratched. The appearance of minor scratches can be repaired. This is a guide about repairing scratches on Formica.

Formica countertop.

I have a vintage table (50s?) chrome with a red top, Formica I believe. It has some small/thin scratches on the surface. What products might work well to cover scratches and not damage the finish?

Thanks!

By Al

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had a similar problem with cream colored formica counter tops. Here is how I camouflaged the scratches: I build dollhouses, so I have a large assortment of small bottles of acrylic paints. They are water-based, and come in many colors. You can get them in AC Moores or Michaels craft stores for about a dollar a bottle. Here's what you do: find a red color (mix and match till you are happy with the match with your table color) and then squeeze a small amount of paint right on your table scratches. Spread it around with a soft cloth til you see the color being absorbed into the scratches. Wait a few seconds and buff the paint areas briskly with a clean cloth. You may see a dullness on the table. simply take a cloth, dampen it and wipe the area, using a gentle touch. You don't want to remove the color from the now filled-in scratches. However, this will remove any unwanted color from the non-damaged areas. It worked perfectly on my cream kitchen counters. something tells me it will make your table look great. It just fools the eye, and using water based paint makes this a very safe thing to try. Good luck! Tell me if it works for you. P.S. you may need to re-apply the paint periodically. Just repeat the steps I outlined. There is no chance of a build-up.

Home and Garden Repair Home MiscellaneousFebruary 14, 2013
Repairing Scratches on Wood Furniture
Repairing Scratches on Wood Furniture
hot coffee pot placed on counter by waitress
Removing Heat Stains and Burn Marks on Formica
Bottle of Clorox bleach.
Repairing Bleach Stains on Formica
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 1, 2016 at 4:57:37 PM on 10.0.0.137 in 364 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.