Repairing Slate Steps

I have a slate patio on my house and slate steps in my front and back yard. The slate has been coming loose from what I believe is the concrete beneath them. I have tried repairing them with masonry compound and even gorilla glue. The masonry compound did not work at all, the gorilla glue worked temporarily.

Any advice?

Repairing Slate Steps

Slate is not strong enough to safely support railings and the reasonable use and abuse you have to expect. The leverages involved are way too high for anything that fragile, and you may have some building code violations there, which could invalidate your insurance.

Patch the cracks with liquid stone, a rock-dust filled epoxy, and move the railing supports to just beside the steps. The cheapest fix usually is to drive 1 inch galvanized pipes 3-4 feet into the ground and welding the railing stanchions to them.

When patching the stone, make sure it is warm through and through, otherwise you are wasting expensive epoxy.

Have FUN!

By DearWebby

Repairing Slate Steps

Sounds like you have a moisture/temperature issue. A good epoxy should be able to re-adhere these tiles. Unfortunately, a good epoxy can fail if it is too cold, or too wet. Ideally you need to have a few fair weather days in a row to properly cure the epoxy. If the weather doesn't work in your favor, shield the repair work from rain or moisture as best you can until a week has passed. (10/04/2005)

By Chelsea

Repairing Slate Steps
Make Steps From Cinder Blocks
Making Steps with Cinder Blocks
Man Repairing a Shoe
Repairing Shoes
slate stairs
Repairing Slate Steps
Slate Floor
Cleaning a Slate Floor