Reusing Laundry Detergent Boxes

Category Reusing
A box of laundry detergent
The avid recycler/repurposer will see many uses for cardboard laundry detergent boxes. This is a guide about reusing laundry detergent boxes.

Sturdy laundry detergent boxes are easy to 'rehab' and use for your organizational needs. I keep all of my scrapbook magazines in the one I made, but you could put just about anything in there. It's super-simple to do:
  1. Cut off top/lid of laundry box (including handle).

2. Use fabric, paper, embellishments, ribbon, etc. to decorate your box. I used a commercial grade glue gun (very hot!) and the box held up just fine.

By April from Albany, GA

Top Comment

I don't decorate mine (Yours looks so nice), but I set a plastic bag inside to hold used dryer sheets and lint.

Top Comment

This is such a cute idea, and you did such a beautiful job with this one! I like the idea of leaving the handle on for some things, but I think yours looks perfect for its purpose.

When my daughter was in high school she made a note keeper out of one of the smaller boxes. She decorated the outside of the box, and it was just perfect, and so personal. Thanks for sharing this idea!

Top Comment

Oh, and forgot to mention that I love the plastic bag in one for laundry room garbage! You could even use one without the garbage bag and then just throw the whole thing away, replacing it with the next empty box. The reason I suggest this is because chances are, everything you place in the box from the laundry room is biodegradable. When you place the plastic bag inside, it negates that, as they take close to 100 years to breakdown, and even then, they have some chemicals in them that aren't good for our earth and water.

I transformed a family size Tide detergent box into a file box. I attached teabag envelopes to the outside to indicate the contents of the box. I put ribbons through the handle.

8 x 11 size file folders and paper will fit perfectly in the box. It sits on the floor next to my desk.

By WandaJo from Tennessee

Editor's Note: Many readers requested a picture after WandoJo posted the instructions. She kindly sent this one in. To read the instructions for making this, look in the feedback forum below.

Top Comment

WoW what a great idea , love it will definitely try this one . You did such a good job , I think a liner inside would also be great.

Top Comment

To make a liner, why couldn't you use contact paper? Easy to apply and clean.

I needed a file box for my tea information, recipes, etc. I took a Tide Detergent (family size) box with the handle on it. I painted it black and put red accents on it. I threaded a pretty ribbon through the holes in the handle with "streamer ribbons" on each side of the handle. Wallpaper or contact paper could be used. The box will hold file folders which are the regular size (8 1/2 x 11).

This file box could be used to organize:

• Recipes
  • Holiday ideas
  • Bill paying organization
  • Children's books
  • Sunday School lessons
  • Craft ideas
  • Greeting Cards and stationary/envelopes
  • Memory Box with files to hold pictures, writings, etc. from loved ones
  • Baby Memory Box

There are endless ideas that this box could be used for.

This decorated Tide detergent box looks nice sitting on the floor next to my desk.

By WanJoy from Collierville

Feedback:
Reusing Detergent Boxes 05/24/2006
Great idea. Thanks

By anna (Guest Post)
Reusing Detergent Boxes 05/24/2006
I read this somewhere about a year ago. These are so sturdy and look so nice. You can paint them, use wallpaper or wrapping paper on them, ribbons, stickers, etc. I have 4 of them in my house for different things all decorated differently. My husband has used them for his fishing reels in the garage. The uses for them are unlimited. Each of my granddaughters have them for crayons and pencils and small toys, and the list goes on.
By Kathy (Guest Post)
Reusing Detergent Boxes 05/24/2006
I decoupaged mine with old calendar pictures. Wonderful for saving last years paid bills from the overfull filebox, and old greeting cards which can be used for hobbies.
By siris (Guest Post)
Reusing Detergent Boxes 05/24/2006
I had the same idea except I glued a piece of flowered material on my box. I save special letters and photos in the boxes and they can used for just about anything.
By Donita
Reusing Detergent Boxes 05/25/2006
One of the teacher at the grade school my kids go to, uses cereal boxes for the same idea, but she uses them for the kids reading book, and papers.
By dsbaby14
Reusing Detergent Boxes 05/25/2006
Yes, I agree, a pic would be nice. I know this is retro, but what about shellac (spelling?) would that work. Children's photos, or photos of vacations... you know, what about photos (duplicates) pasted on the outside, and papers, report cards, pictures, and those other special things kids make. Have one box for each child. Or perhaps for a bride, do the box in delicate bridal motif and maybe some lingerie inside. If she is a bit more shy about receiving such personal items, maybe her brides maids, maid of honor and matron of honour can sign a homemade 'I wish for you...' book. It can be like a journal, or a small book with blank pages, have each person sign what they wish for them. Have the wishes be funny, serious or whatever, but something the bride can look back on
By KLS8800@aol.com (Guest Post)
Reusing Detergent Boxes 06/07/2006
I made one with spray glue and wrapping paper. Then, I covered it with clear contact paper. They are great for teachers to make small activities for children when they get thier work done early. I LOVE the smell!
By scruggle