Rooster Information and Photos

Category Birds
Photo of a rooster in the grass.
These cocks can be very handsome and often become yard pets. This guide contains rooster information and photos.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Phoenix the Great is a 9 month old mixed breed long haired rooster. We put a request on freecycle.org for a baby chick, since the school's chickens had not incubated because the electric went out one day. The kids were disappointed, so we went out of our way to a place where they breed birds and take care of them.

This one, which we did not know if it was male or female, was no bigger than a minute in a brooder that was made out of a dog carrier with a light. The chicks were so happy in there; so happy in the living room of the lady who owned the farm.

He likes to play with stuffed animals, and he likes to laugh at jokes and watch TV. He lives in our room most of the time, and spends some of his time outside. He does not see the outdoors as a normal place, as he was imprinted on humans. His first sight was not a chicken, but the lady at the farm. Then he met me, who has cuddled him and such until now.

He answers coughs and giggles in context. He makes all sorts of gestures with his hands, which have more than the normal amount of toes on them. When he moves his feet, we praise him and say such a good boy. He now waves at me when I have food to get my attention, but only when it is me and him alone in the room.

Phoenix is pretty much kept as a parrot in the house. He has an area on our entertainment center that he was raised in, and refuses to part with. He is amazing. He is very territorial. I would never recommend a rooster for a pet for a child or anyone easily scared of animals which charge you, like most farm animals can do. Phoenix has, however, taken up with my parakeet, Periwinkle, who does not like people. They are meant for each other and enjoy each other very much!

By Robin F.

Phoenix the long haired rooster

Comment Like this photo? 13

Phoenix the Rooster is 6 months or so. I think it is a frizzle mix. I found a sweet person who was willing to share their baby chicken, which had just hatched. Our kids were trying to take care of a chicken egg and then keep it as a pet and the eggs lost their viability when the power went out at the school in the incubator. We drove a long way to get Phoenix!

His favorite thing to do is watch what is going on and talk. He is overwintering here in our bedroom in his incubator which has been turned into his coop for now. He is by a parakeet who he has made really good friends with.

Today I saw Perry the parakeet opening and closing the food door for him on his cage. I have no idea what this is about. LOL Chickens are very smart animals and are social as well. Once they get old you can't hold them on your arm without protection anymore, because of their sharp claws, the same as if you were holding a hawk.

This wonderful rooster talks, sneezed at you when you sneeze and performs for applause and attention. Such a wonderful pet but I cant wait until spring, he is waiting to get his own coop and some other friends; maybe we will have fresh eggs!

By Robyn Fed

Phoenix (Rooster)

Comment Like this photo? 10

My neighbor has a beautiful Silky Bantam rooster (posted with permission). Every morning when I first let my dogs out I always call, "Good Morning Mr. Rooster" and do my own version of a good morning crow. Well, Mr. Rooster always crows back and it is the funniest thing I've ever heard.

He'll crow as long as I crow and one afternoon while talking to my sister on the phone I told her about Mr. Rooster and how I can make him crow. At first she thought I was nuts and then she didn't believe me so I stepped outside crowed and she heard him crow and started laughing. Mr. Rooster is one cool bird!

By CaroleeRose from Madison, Al

Silky Bantam Rooster

Comment Like this photo? 8

I just bought a pumpkin and put it in Phoenix's playpen. He is so happy with it, he walks all around it and talks. He loves to have his pen decorated.

He has all sorts of toys in there with him.

By Robyn from TN

Phoenix With a Pumpkin in Pen

Comment Like this photo? 7

We have Phoenix a nice perch in our room. He likes to play games with the flashlight on the wall at night when he is in the house with us. He has a great affection for his "flashlight games."

Here is a shot I took that I thought turned out so funny. Animals can be so funny!

By Robyn from TN

Phoenix the Rooster and His Shadow

Comment Like this photo? 5

The two thinkers. Here is Phoenix my pet rooster, looking at his statue friend, who seems to be looking right back at him. I couldn't resist taking this photo.

Rooster looking at a hen statue

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

Phoenix, the rooster, enjoys time in his fair weather part of his enclosure. He loves his easy chair!

Rooster on chair outside.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

We have our rooster Phoenix where he can see everything that goes on in the house. He loves to watch the kittens, when we have them. He stares at them, and I wonder what he is thinking. ;)

rooster looking through window at kittens

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 2