Rooting Christmas Cactus

What is the best potting soil for a Christmas cactus? I have cuttings from my Mom's plant from last year. The ones I planted in regular potting soil are alive, but that's all. The one cutting I left in water sprouted a flower, but I would like to use decorative pots.

By Gayle from Rochester, NY

Rooting Christmas Cactus

You can grow Christmas cactus in any commercial potting soil. They root very easily from the nodes at the base of each segment. Your cutting in water probably bloomed because it felt stressed (lack of nutrients) and sometimes flowering is the plant's attempt to go to seed to reproduce.

Christmas cactus will bloom right on schedule every year once you find a spot where it is happy. This is usually where there is fairly bright, indirect light (an eastern facing window?) or anywhere you may have happy African violet, they like the same conditions. Fertilize after blooming when they send out lots of new growth. Good luck.

By msspider

Rooting Christmas Cactus
Pink Christmas Cactus
Getting a Christmas Cactus to Bloom
Rooting Hormone
Make Your Own Rooting Hormone
Christmas Cactus
Starting a Christmas Cactus from Cuttings
spider plant in flask
Rooting Plants in Water