Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Saving Money On Dishwashing

You can save money on dishwashing, by employing a few tried and true techniques. This is a guide about saving money on dishwashing.

October 19, 2011 Flag

I don't have a dishwasher. And standing on bad knees and hips isn't my idea of the best way to end a day, either. So, in the kitchen, I try and work smarter not harder. While my tea or coffee is nuking, I draw a container of hot soapy water and during the day, soak my eating and cooking utensils in it.

Of course the water doesn't stay hot. But by the end of the day, I simply have to rinse what is inside. It saves a lot of time standing in front of the sink.

I hope this helps.

By Sandi from Salem, OR

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Very good idea!

October 11, 2011 Flag

When I have a saucepan that needs soaking, after scooping out the contents I fill with water, heat til hot, take off heat, squirt in a little dish detergent, and set in sink. Using a long handled dish brush, I wash each dish, rinse, and drain.

Also, when the dish detergent is almost gone, I fill it with water and use it for washing hands at the sink. It doesn't have that strong perfumey smell that some soaps have, and you use up every last little bit of detergent!

By virginnyb65 from Charles City, IA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 27, 2009 Flag

We all have those nylon bags that potatoes and onions come in. One day after returning from the grocery it occurred to me to cut them in squares and use them to scrub with.

They can also be thrown in the microwave to quickly sanitize, and you can use them over and over again. I often use one in the bathroom to scour the sink, etc. They really do come in handy.

Just a thought!

By Nunley from Huntington, WV

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 18, 2009 Flag

Use baking soda/vinegar to clean dishes. I have seen tips on using baking soda as a substitute for dish washing liquid or powder but they usually involved adding some other cleaning element as well, and I have seen the use of vinegar for many cleaning uses but I have not yet seen these two in combination.

I had dish powder left over still to use, but I had become frustrated with finding my dishes not clean and the rather expensive dish powder clumped in the receptacle. So, I thought I would give this a try. I loaded the dishwasher with my dishes, and used generic dollar store brand baking soda in the receptacle in the same amount as I would have dish powder and in the rinse receptacle I used plain white distilled vinegar.

My dishes came out sparkling clean, no spots, and no clumps of undissolved cleaner, or residue. No weird chemical smell on my dishes either. I will never go back to the chemical way again. The baking soda and vinegar combo works great. It is much better for my family and the environment as well and the fact that it costs a lot less is just the icing on the cake!

By Cheryl from Smithsburg, MD

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thanks for sharing. I'll be trying this.

When visiting my elderly father recently, I noticed that his dishes, glasses and everything in his kitchen were covered with a grimy film. He explained that to save money he was cutting his dishwashing liquid with water and using much less than the recommended amount of dishwasher detergent.

I love clean dishes! I use a little bleach in my dish water. Not only does it help sanitize them, the dishes actually dry faster!

If you are doing a lot of baking (especially around the holidays) and are making several batches of muffins or mini loaves, you will find yourself having to wash and very completely dry pans in between batches.

Home and Garden Cleaning DishesMarch 30, 2013
hands washing a cup
Saving Money on Dish Soap
Wii console and controllers
Saving Money on a Wii
Mare and Foal in a Corral
Saving Money on Horse Boarding
Homemade Dish Soap Recipes, Man Washing Dishes
Saving Money on Dishwashing Liquid
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 22, 2017 at 11:19:55 AM on 10.0.2.231 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.