Saving Money on Balloons

Balloons add a fun, festive air to parties, picnics, and are also a great gift. However, they can be quite expensive. This is a guide about saving money on balloons.

January 7, 2011 Flag

When you have to inflate a bunch of balloons for a party, use a nebulizer with the tubing attached. Just remove the mask and voila, you have your own balloon inflater. Quick, easy and saves a whole lot of breath.

By tammie from Auburn, GA

Really good idea but I think it depends on the type of nebulizer you have because some have more powerful airflow pressure than others. ;-)

September 30, 2012 Flag

Helium balloons to decorate a party are expensive, and you have to get or fill them on the day of the party. Mylar lasts longer, but is way more expensive. Instead, buy a bag or 2 of latex balloons and a spool of curling ribbon, fill the balloons ahead of time, tie with ribbon, curl the ribbon that hangs down. Then make a circle of Scotch tape, put it on the top of the balloon and stick it on the ceiling.

This works best with standard height ceilings, of course. I did this at a vacation condo the day before the birthday girl arrived to find balloons "floating" all over the unit. Quite a hit! It looked very festive for the cost of a few bags of balloons, some ribbon and tape (under $10, if I remember).

By Linda from Vista, CA

April 22, 2011 Flag

How do I make homemade balloon weights for graduation?

By Pam from MT

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can use almost anything as a weight. Small candy bars, small rocks that you can leave natural or paint with craft paints. You could even use unlit tea light candles, that you wrap in tissue paper to conceal what they are. You could even use play dough and work it into funky shapes and let them harden. You can probably think up more ideas without having to make something that looks like what comes with the balloons.

Anything can be used as a weight as redhatterb said. Check with your Dad or other male relative who may have a workshop & tools. Ask if they have any spare metal washers. This can be found in hardware stores for very little cost and is a metal disc with a hole in the center. Use several if one is not heavy enough,

For my daughters graduation I went to Home Depot and purchased the largest (and heaviest) washers that I could find. Also went to the paint department and purchased some black spray paint ($1.00), then on to Michael's to purchase silver glitter. After spraying the washers, while the paint is still wet, sprinkle glitter (on both sides) and you not only have a baloon weight, but a pretty one at that. Have fun. The kids all loved theirs.

I would find a smooth, nice looking rock, paint a face on it, and wrap it with shiny wrapping paper. Then tie tie balloons string to it along with some curling ribbon or other decorations. When the balloon has lived out it's usefulness the rock can become a "pet" rock.

February 23, 2005 Flag

A pal, who has several parties a year, told me it's cheaper in the long run to buy a tank of helium and your own balloons, than to have the store blow up the balloons for you or to rent a helium tank.

<p>When you're finished with the tank, just sit it out on the curbside with your trash for pickup, as they're not returnable like the ones you rent.

By Terri H.

instead of having helium balloons just tie them in bunches and hang them with curling ribbon. i decorated my for my sisters party with only a little over $10. i bought 6 different colors of streamers all for under a dollar each and a huge roll of curling ribbon was only a dollar too. a pack of 72 balloons was around $4.

January 16, 2005 Flag

For my husbands 40th birthday, we were on a tight budget. Instead of purchasing weights for the dozen balloons that I bought, we tied them to water glasses with a stem, and put a bit of foil confetti in the bottom of each glass, and then sprinkled some on the table as well. The effect was elegant, yet cost very little. The party was huge success! By Katharine Barrett

August 31, 2005 Flag
Craftbits0 found this helpful

Making your own balloon weights allows you to customize the look of them. You can choose the design and the colors to match the event.

Homemade balloon weight.

December 12, 2004 Flag

For a party take blown up balloons and using a sponge or foam stamp (circles, triangles, spirals, hearts) dipped in glitter paint, dot the outside of the balloon to give it a more detailed look.

Holidays and Parties Parties DecorationsOctober 2, 2012
ballon barrette
Making a Balloon Bouquet Barrette
Wii console and controllers
Saving Money on a Wii
Mare and Foal in a Corral
Saving Money on Horse Boarding
Photo of three star shaped mylar balloons.
Reusing Mylar Balloons