Scotland Frugal Travel Guide

Traveling can be expensive, but once you arrive there are many ways to save while enjoying the sights. This page contains Scotland frugal travel guide information.

November 12, 2009 Flag

We visited this 'Clootie' Well when we were on holiday. A 'clootie or cloot' in Scotland is a cloth. Legend has it that if you or someone you know has an illness, you hang a cloth of theirs at the well and they should get better. As you can see, many people have tried this ancient remedy! This was only a fraction of the cloths all around the well. They varied from sweatshirts, dresses, scarves and even pants!Legend also has it that if you remove one of the cloths, then you take on that person's affliction!

Source: Photograph I took near Munlochy in the Black Isle, Scotland

By Marion from Scotland

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

October 13, 2009 Flag

Clouds reflected on Loch Carron.
I took this photo on a recent holiday in the Scottish Highlands. Left of centre, at the edge of the Loch, is the village of Loch Carron.

By lanky liz from Scotland

Scenery: Loch Carron, Scotland

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 6 Comments

December 21, 2010 Flag

This is a view of the north east coast of Scotland after one of our recent snow storms, it was taken from my brother and sister in law's garden. They are fortunate to have spectacular views of the North Sea from their windows.

Source: Photo taken by my brother

By Elizabeth

Snow on the Coast of Scotland

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 3 Comments

May 19, 2011 Flag

Whilst traveling round Scotland, I had the great fortune to witness these neap tides at Gairloch on the west coast. The waves were about 8 feet high and like a washing machine - continually crashing but only going up the beach about 20 feet - such power was fantastic to watch and capture as they only lasted a couple of hours. They were the highest neap tides ever recorded for forty years according to locals.

Editor's Note: "A tide that occurs when the difference between high and low tide is least; the lowest level of high tide. Neap tide comes twice a month, in the first and third quarters of the moon."- from the Free Dictionary

By Graeme M.

High tides in Scotland.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 4 Comments

May 20, 2011 Flag

Right place - right time - right equipment, and a super shot if I say so myself! I saw this little chap darting round the tree in a wild woodland near Aviemore in Scotland. He paused for a moment looking as if he would make this jump from tree to tree (approximately 4 meters apart).

It was just perfect timing and framing it as it flew over to the other tree. The back lighting and his tail are stunningly beautiful to see, as the leap was over in a second.

By Graeme M.

A red squirrel jumping to a tree.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 3 Comments

January 21, 2011 Flag

Thought you might be interested to see a photo of the public toilets at the Kyle of Lochalsh in the Highlands of Scotland. The toilets have won awards for cleanliness and uniqueness and have become something of a tourist attraction!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 21, 2010 Flag

This is a photo of Red Castle in Lunan, Scotland that I took this spring. The earliest structure was built in the 12th century. It passed through several hands until the 16th century.

Red Castle (Lunan, Scotland)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 8, 2010 Flag

This was a photograph taken on Mid Summer evening from my garden.

Midsummer Sunset (Scotland)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 18, 2013 Flag

My niece works as a reindeer herder in the Cairngorm mountains in Scotland. This is a photo of some of the mothers and calves being herded up to higher ground, where they will spend the summer months.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 28, 2012 Flag

My niece has been working with the reindeer in Scotland's Cairngorm Mountains. They are very tame and a popular tourist attraction all year round.

Reindeer Herd in snow

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 28, 2010 Flag

We are so lucky to live within walking distance of our beach. The town can be seen in the distance and off to the right there is a small river flows out to sea; the dunes and golf course are adjacent and provide such varied walks.

NE Scotland

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 2, 2011 Flag

I love how they blend into their surroundings. I find that now some of them take on their own personalities. I have a different species that lives in my hut and a much smaller one, again a different kind again, that likes to eat bits of my gluten free chocolate chip cookies.

Lizard on concrete wall.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 15, 2012 Flag

My niece is working in the Cairngorms, herding reindeer. This is one of the many spectacular views she encounters on a daily basis.

Travel: The Cairngorms, Scotland

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 30, 2009 Flag

Loch Ussie in the Highlands of Scotland. I took this photo from the top of Knockfarrel, near the cottage we had rented for our holiday.

Scenery: Loch Ussie (Scotland)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 3, 2011 Flag

This memorial was unveiled last year at Fraserburgh in NE Scotland, and dedicated to the local lifeboatmen who have lost their lives endeavouring to save others. Brave men who go out in the stormiest of weather, with no regard for their own safety.

Memorial to Lifeboatmen

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 8, 2011 Flag

Toward Lighthouse located on the Isle of Bute in Scotland. The lightkeepers house is privately owned, however the lighthouse is still owned by the Council and still operates.

Lighthouse on Isle of Bute in Scotland With Grey Cloud in Background

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Travel and Recreation Travel Guides Europe United KingdomNovember 4, 2013
Sky Blue Retro Travel Trailer 3
Buying a Used Travel Trailer
Hong Kong, Victoria Harbour
Hong Kong Frugal Travel Guide
Family in Car Leaving in Winter
Saving Money on Holiday Travel
Business Travel Tips, Business Woman on Laptop in Airport
Business Travel Tips
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 2:29:16 PM on 10.0.0.148 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.