Scotland Frugal Travel Guide

Traveling can be expensive, but once you arrive there are many ways to save while enjoying the sights. This page contains Scotland frugal travel guide information.

November 12, 2009 Flag

We visited this 'Clootie' Well when we were on holiday. A 'clootie or cloot' in Scotland is a cloth. Legend has it that if you or someone you know has an illness, you hang a cloth of theirs at the well and they should get better. As you can see, many people have tried this ancient remedy! This was only a fraction of the cloths all around the well. They varied from sweatshirts, dresses, scarves and even pants!Legend also has it that if you remove one of the cloths, then you take on that person's affliction!

Source: Photograph I took near Munlochy in the Black Isle, Scotland

By Marion from Scotland

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thanks for sharing. What an interesting thing. I am partly Scotch & will remember this.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

October 13, 2009 Flag

Clouds reflected on Loch Carron.
I took this photo on a recent holiday in the Scottish Highlands. Left of centre, at the edge of the Loch, is the village of Loch Carron.

By lanky liz from Scotland

Scenery: Loch Carron, Scotland

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

Thanks for bringing back some wonderful memories! I lived in Scotland during the 70's. My oldest son Andrew was born there. I miss it so much.

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

December 21, 2010 Flag

This is a view of the north east coast of Scotland after one of our recent snow storms, it was taken from my brother and sister in law's garden. They are fortunate to have spectacular views of the North Sea from their windows.

Source: Photo taken by my brother

By Elizabeth

Snow on the Coast of Scotland

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

This is a beautiful photo and what amazing scenery to look at every day! I would love to visit there someday!

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

May 19, 2011 Flag

Whilst traveling round Scotland, I had the great fortune to witness these neap tides at Gairloch on the west coast. The waves were about 8 feet high and like a washing machine - continually crashing but only going up the beach about 20 feet - such power was fantastic to watch and capture as they only lasted a couple of hours. They were the highest neap tides ever recorded for forty years according to locals.

Editor's Note: "A tide that occurs when the difference between high and low tide is least; the lowest level of high tide. Neap tide comes twice a month, in the first and third quarters of the moon."- from the Free Dictionary

By Graeme M.

High tides in Scotland.

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

Stunningly beautiful!

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

January 21, 2011 Flag

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

Thought you might be interested to see a photo of the public toilets at the Kyle of Lochalsh in the Highlands of Scotland. The toilets have won awards for cleanliness and uniqueness and have become something of a tourist attraction!

November 21, 2010 Flag

Red Castle (Lunan, Scotland)

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

This is a photo of Red Castle in Lunan, Scotland that I took this spring. The earliest structure was built in the 12th century. It passed through several hands until the 16th century.

July 8, 2010 Flag

Midsummer Sunset (Scotland)

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

This was a photograph taken on Mid Summer evening from my garden.

June 18, 2013 Flag

My niece works as a reindeer herder in the Cairngorm mountains in Scotland. This is a photo of some of the mothers and calves being herded up to higher ground, where they will spend the summer months.

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

March 28, 2012 Flag

Reindeer Herd in snow

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

My niece has been working with the reindeer in Scotland's Cairngorm Mountains. They are very tame and a popular tourist attraction all year round.

June 28, 2010 Flag

NE Scotland

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

We are so lucky to live within walking distance of our beach. The town can be seen in the distance and off to the right there is a small river flows out to sea; the dunes and golf course are adjacent and provide such varied walks.

February 15, 2012 Flag

Travel: The Cairngorms, Scotland

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

My niece is working in the Cairngorms, herding reindeer. This is one of the many spectacular views she encounters on a daily basis.

September 30, 2009 Flag

Scenery: Loch Ussie (Scotland)

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

Loch Ussie in the Highlands of Scotland. I took this photo from the top of Knockfarrel, near the cottage we had rented for our holiday.

March 3, 2011 Flag

Memorial to Lifeboatmen

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

This memorial was unveiled last year at Fraserburgh in NE Scotland, and dedicated to the local lifeboatmen who have lost their lives endeavouring to save others. Brave men who go out in the stormiest of weather, with no regard for their own safety.

August 8, 2011 Flag

Lighthouse on Isle of Bute in Scotland With Grey Cloud in Background

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

Toward Lighthouse located on the Isle of Bute in Scotland. The lightkeepers house is privately owned, however the lighthouse is still owned by the Council and still operates.

Travel and Recreation Travel Guides Europe United KingdomNovember 4, 2013
Sky Blue Retro Travel Trailer 3
Buying a Used Travel Trailer
Hong Kong, Victoria Harbour
Hong Kong Frugal Travel Guide
Family in Car Leaving in Winter
Saving Money on Holiday Travel
Business Travel Tips, Business Woman on Laptop in Airport
Business Travel Tips
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 16, 2017 at 4:29:42 PM on 10.0.2.108 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.