Travel: Kyle of Lochalsh Public Toilets (Scotland)

Thought you might be interested to see a photo of the public toilets at the Kyle of Lochalsh in the Highlands of Scotland. The toilets have won awards for cleanliness and uniqueness and have become something of a tourist attraction! The toilets and hand basins are sparkling clean. There are flowers and pictures from ceiling to floor. The 20 pence entrance fee is money well spent. This is the Ladies but I have it on good authority that the Gents are just as nice!

Source: Taken while on holiday last year

By elizabeth thom

I thought the ones in Biggar in the Borders were great but these surpass them!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Maybe if enough people make a big deal of it, more locations will maintain their toilet facilities this wonderfully. Hey, a gal can hope! Our park system toilets in my small area of Ohio (USA) are shameful!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

True enough the facility is garlanded with plants and flowers and disabled access is indicated, but yesterday I met the rudest man I have encountered in Scotland who was managing it. I am traveling with my dad from Buckie to Skye (where I live) next week and needed to plan out toilet stops for him. Dad had a stroke several months ago and finds enormous difficulty bending and therefore I needed to check the disabled toilet was raised (it was not, in fact it was the lowest I have seen). I politely asked the man managing the toilets if it was possible to just see the disabled access to ensure my husband and I could toilet my dad there and he was so unpleasant I left shaking.

He glared his disbelief at me flung open the toilet door and ranted on that he had never before been asked if the toilet could be viewed. He thumped several times at the awards above the entrance and stared at me until I walked away with a shout of 'They are all the same!' from him ringing in my ears. Mr Rude man, no they are not, yours differs considerably from most and any amount of flora will not make up for an aggressive and clearly unfriendly disabled attitude. We won't be going near the place again and I'd advise others with a disabled need to avoid it too. It certainly is unique! One star for the facility existing.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Photos SceneryJanuary 21, 2011
💘
🍀