Scroll Saw Craft Ideas

Scroll Saw Craft Ideas
If you have a jig saw or scrolling saw then you can make some very beautiful crafts to give as gifts or use as decorations around your home. This is a guide about scroll saw craft ideas.

I have found a great new hobby, it is called photo cutouts. I have had a pile of pieces of acrylic taking up room in my garage. So the other day while I was moving the pile once again, I asked myself, "What can I do this stuff?". Then it hit me, I remembered a long time ago there was a store that sold photo cutouts, that is where you take a photograph glue in onto the plastic then cut out the main subject with a scroll saw.

Well I took it one step further I printed two copies of the same photograph. One on just regular paper, the other on glossy paper, I glued the plain paper photograph onto a blank piece of wood, which I found at a garage sale for $.50. Then I cut out the photograph on the glossy paper and glued it to the one on the wood blank, and presto I have pop out photograph which looks 3D.

Hope you enjoy. Oh by the way, the pitcher in the photograph is my grandson Brady McCoy from Sedan, Kansas.

By John from Haysville, KS

This duck is sure to delight the little ones. It is a wood project, and does require either a scroll saw or a jig saw, but the smiles of those little ones is a great reward in return for time spent on the project.

Instructions:

The instructions are also in a PDF file for which you may need Acrobat Reader to view. Download Acrobat Reader

Click here to download the Duck Push Toy Instructions in PDF format, including the full size pattern templates.

1. Trace patterns of the duck and the wheel from page 2 of the PDF onto your pine board and cut out with a scroll saw. Sand edges lightly.
  2. Mix 1 part yellow paint with 5 parts water in a shallow pan. A paint roller tray will work for this.
  3. Dip the duck into the mixture or apply to both sides and the edge with a sponge. Let this stand for a minute or two then wipe dry with a soft cloth. Set aside, and repeat the process with the wheels, using orange paint for the mixture.
    If you are planning to make more toys, you may save the paint in covered containers.
  4. Using the photo as a guide, add the features. Paint the beak orange, draw the eye and outline the beak with the Sharpie.
  5. Dip a toothpick in white paint and put a dot in the middle of the eye for a highlight.
  6. Repeat the details on the other side of the duck.
  7. Drill a hole in the center of each wheel, using a 3/8 inch bit, and cut a 1/2 inch slit in the edge for the feet. Drill a 16/32 inch hole in the body as indicated on the pattern.
  8. Cut a 2 1/2 inch piece from the dowel for the wheel axle. Pass the wheel axle through the body of the duck, and glue a wheel on each end of the axle. Position the wheel flush with the end of the axle and the slits for the feet with one foot up and the other foot down.
  9. Ad

10. Glue the feet into the slits, taking care that the flat side of the foot is against the body of the duck.
  11. Cut the remainder at 30 inches for the handle.
  12. To attach the handle, see the detail sketch for angle of the hole to drill in the duck's back. Use a 3/8 inch bit and drill the hole about an inch deep at the determined angle.
  13. Apply glue and insert the dowel, tapping it into place if necessary. You can dress the end of the handle as you wish.
  14. We used an inexpensive birch cabinet drawer pull and drilled out the center to allow the insertion of the dowel. Glue into place.
  15. Using the bandanna pattern on page 3 and a pair of pinking shears, cut the bandanna and tie loosely around the duck's neck.
  16. Pull down slightly on the side opposite the knot. Attach the straw hat to the top of the duck's head with hot glue. Hold in place until it cools enough to stay put. If you like, add a feather to the hat.

Harlean Greathouse0 found this helpful
This little wooden bear has a magnet to be used for displaying a child's drawings. Made of wood, but this pattern could also be used with craft foam.

Tools and Materials:

• scroll saw
  • black Sharpie
  • acrylic paints: red, white, and brown
  • scrap of ribbon
  • round craft magnet

Directions:

1. Trace pattern onto light cardboard, transfer to 1/4 inch plywood and cut with scroll saw.
  2. Dilute brown paint: 1 part paint to 4 parts water. Dip bear into paint covering all sides. Let excess drain and wipe gently with a soft cloth.
  3. Using the picture at the top of this page as a guide, draw the features with the black Sharpie. Use the Sharpie also to personalize with "See what ______ Did" or "See What ___ Made".

4. Glue a round craft magnet to the center back of the bear, and glue a small bow to the ear.
  5. Use the red paint for the mouth and the white for the dot in the eye.

Use it to hold the child's artwork on the refrigerator. This is a craft that a child can help make.

An adult should cut the bear from the wood. Note: If you don't have a scroll saw, you could make this with a piece of art foam instead.

Use a toothpick dipped in the white paint to put the dot in the eyes.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, AR

Click Here to download the Teddy Magnet for Fridge Instructions in PDF format.

This woodworking project creates the perfect gift for Father's Day or dad's birthday. This is a guide about making a "Honey Do" hammer.

wooden cutout of a hammer with a clothespin to hold a list of "to do projects"

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making trees using a scroll saw. A scroll saw allows you to cut intricate curves in wood more delicately than using a power jigsaw. It is the perfect tool for making decorative wooden trees.

Painted trees standing in corner.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes