Scroll Saw Craft Ideas

If you have a jig saw or scrolling saw then you can make some very beautiful crafts to give as gifts or use as decorations around your home. This is a guide about scroll saw craft ideas.

October 18, 2011 Flag

I have found a great new hobby, it is called photo cutouts. I have had a pile of pieces of acrylic taking up room in my garage. So the other day while I was moving the pile once again, I asked myself, "What can I do this stuff?". Then it hit me, I remembered a long time ago there was a store that sold photo cutouts, that is where you take a photograph glue in onto the plastic then cut out the main subject with a scroll saw.

Well I took it one step further I printed two copies of the same photograph. One on just regular paper, the other on glossy paper, I glued the plain paper photograph onto a blank piece of wood, which I found at a garage sale for $.50. Then I cut out the photograph on the glossy paper and glued it to the one on the wood blank, and presto I have pop out photograph which looks 3D.

Hope you enjoy. Oh by the way, the pitcher in the photograph is my grandson Brady McCoy from Sedan, Kansas.

By John from Haysville, KS

Nice work!

June 11, 2012 Flag

These are scroll sawed trees with real bark.

Approximate Time: 4 - 5 hours

Instructions:

1. Cut tree shapes to your height and own pattern.
  2. Sand the rough edges.
  3. Drill a hole for the dowel in both the tree shape and the log.
  4. Put glue in holes and add dowel.
  5. Paint the light color on each tree.
  6. Stand up the trees and spray paint (outside) the edges and outer part of tree leaving the lighter color inside.
  7. Find bark from an old branch or purchase from a craft store. Glue on bark. The bark is glued around a cylinder of wood (branch).
  8. Stand and enjoy.

By Louella from Billings, MT

Love it! Can't wait to give this project a try. I can see these being used almost anywhere....covered porch, empty corner, etc. Great idea.

April 26, 2010 Flag

This is a woodworking project. Great gift for dad for Father's Day. Just slip that list of projects into the clothespin. And don't forget to put at the end of the list something like, "There's a piece of apple pie in the fridge with your name on it!"

"Honey Do" Hammer

August 7, 2008 Flag
Harlean Greathouse0 found this helpful
This little wooden bear has a magnet to be used for displaying a child's drawings. Made of wood, but this pattern could also be used with craft foam.

Tools and Materials:

• scroll saw
  • black Sharpie
  • acrylic paints: red, white, and brown
  • scrap of ribbon
  • round craft magnet

Directions:

1. Trace pattern onto light cardboard, transfer to 1/4 inch plywood and cut with scroll saw.
  2. Dilute brown paint: 1 part paint to 4 parts water. Dip bear into paint covering all sides. Let excess drain and wipe gently with a soft cloth.
  3. Using the picture at the top of this page as a guide, draw the features with the black Sharpie. Use the Sharpie also to personalize with "See what ______ Did" or "See What ___ Made".

4. Glue a round craft magnet to the center back of the bear, and glue a small bow to the ear.
  5. Use the red paint for the mouth and the white for the dot in the eye.

Use it to hold the child's artwork on the refrigerator. This is a craft that a child can help make.

An adult should cut the bear from the wood. Note: If you don't have a scroll saw, you could make this with a piece of art foam instead.

Use a toothpick dipped in the white paint to put the dot in the eyes.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, AR

The instructions are also in a PDF file for which you may need Acrobat Reader to view. Download Acrobat Reader

Click Here to download the Teddy Magnet for Fridge Instructions in PDF format.

Harlean...

how absolutley adorable !! I just love it.

thank you for sharing this cute craft with us. I can't wait to make some for the grandchildren

May 4, 2010 Flag

This duck is sure to delight the little ones. It is a wood project, and does require either a scroll saw or a jig saw, but the smiles of those little ones is a great reward in return for time spent on the project.

A yellow duck push toy made out of wood.

person using a handsaw
Using a Hand Saw
Votive Wrapped in Twine
Candle Craft Ideas
A man using a circular saw.
Using a Circular Saw
Rusty Saw Blade
Removing Rust from Saw Blades
🎄