Sending College Care Packages

College students enjoy getting those care packages from home, whether goodies or necessities. This is a guide about sending college care packages.

August 30, 2005 Flag

Care packages are always welcomed by college students, but they are expensive to ship. Instead, I recommend trying gift cards or money. Then the student can get whatever he or she needs or wants. Also, Wal-Mart has a reloadable shopping card now that a parent can put money on and the student can have it within just a few minutes to use for whatever they need.

By Robin

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments

May 19, 2005 Flag

When my daughter went away to college, she was away from home for the first time and living with a total stranger roomy. I took a page from my Amish friends and made them each a "Sunshine Box." Whenever an Amish person needs a boost with a long recovery from illness or is down about something, the community and family make a Sunshine Box. There is a little gift to open each day for a month.

That is a small gift every day for a month. I wrapped up anything from a couple of packs of gum for each girl to Ramen noodles or spiced cider to pens, mechanical pencils and scratch pads. I put them all in plastic milk crates and they had a little shelf unit after the gifts were finished. It really helped break the ice between the two girls, helped with the homesickness, and they confessed that on bad days they unwrapped more than one little gift.

Though I pretty much did this on my own, the Amish have all of the friends and relatives contribute a little something to the boxes so the person who is a little down or doesn't feel good due to illness or an operation has something to open every day of the recovery. I just wanted to let the girls know how proud we were of them, and that we missed them, too.

It really seemed to help them over a big hump, and helped them to bond for the rest of the year.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 6 Comments

December 10, 2007 Flag

My sister-in-law and I both have kids in college this year and decided to pare down a little by purchasing consumable gifts for $15 or less. These Lifesavers Gift Packs are what I am planning to give everyone on that list. Some of the items in each pack are similar, but I tried to personalize each one a little, including alphabet shaped sitcky notes, for example. I made vinyl bags because I thought they would be more durable, but zipper bags would work just as well or holiday treat bags with a design on the front and clear on the back.

Approximate Time: 20 minutes plus shopping time

Supplies

Instructions

1. Sew bags from vinyl or use zipper bags of desired size--sandwich size for purse, larger for in the car.
  2. Divide small items into containers, such as pins, cough drops, nails, etc.
  3. Make sewing Kits with 2 or 3 thread spools and 2 or 3 needles which have been to a section of ribbon or foil gift wrap.
  4. Fill pack as desired.
  5. Make label: "__________'s Lifesavers. Open in Everyday Emergency." Attach to pack with strapping tape. Attach roll candy the same way or just make sure it's visible from the inside, next to the label, so the person "gets" the pun.
  6. Add Christmas stickers to pack or drop in a few pieces of sparkly confetti to dress it up.
  7. Tie top of bag with tinsel pipe cleaner.

By Cindy from Waynesburg, PA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Education College Life Tips for ParentsMarch 18, 2016
Friendship Gift Package
Making a Friendship Gift Package
Care Packages for Troops
Sending Care Packages to Troops
Pink piggy bank wearing graduation cap with money in the slot.
Saving Money for College
thank you note ideas
Sending Thank You Notes
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 14, 2017 at 12:47:49 PM on 10.0.2.191 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.