Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Sending College Care Packages

College students enjoy getting those care packages from home, whether goodies or necessities. This is a guide about sending college care packages.

August 30, 2005 Flag

Care packages are always welcomed by college students, but they are expensive to ship. Instead, I recommend trying gift cards or money. Then the student can get whatever he or she needs or wants. Also, Wal-Mart has a reloadable shopping card now that a parent can put money on and the student can have it within just a few minutes to use for whatever they need.

By Robin

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

You are right it is cheaper to give your student a gift card but as a college student going to the mail room to find a care package, especially after a tough week is worth the shipping cost. Also my university sells care packages that parents can give their students. They distribute them the week before finals and deliver them right to your dorm room! The post office also has flat rate shipping boxes that you can use to place all of your students favorite goodies in.

Some suggestions for what to place in your care package...

Easy mac (if they don't have access to a full kitchen I recommend the individual serving kind that can be cooked in the container it comes in, just add water and microwave).

Oatmeal in a similar container to above. You would be surprised how many students skip breakfast.

Gift certificate to something on campus or right near the campus. For example to the campus book store to buy a university sweatshirt, or to a food place on campus (we have jamba juice etc). All students like to get off campus and out of the dorms, this allows them to do it without working about the cost.

Junk Food, as a parent (or grand parent) I know it's painful to hear this but college kids love junk food. Chips, candy, cookies, sugary drinks etc. But it's a nice treat to get, especially during midterms and finals when you are going to be up late studying.

Most importantly think of the person who is receiving the gift. Do they love coffee? Get them a starbucks gift card. Do they love your homemade cookies? Bake some and ship them in tupperware. Are they going to school in a different region of the country and are craving BBQ sauce, hot sauce, or special food from home? That would be a welcome break to the monotony of dorm food.

Hope that helps! I will never forget the care packages my mom sent me when I was a freshman. She would go to Target once a month and get me candy, and room decorations (for halloween, christmas, valentines day etc), as well as pajama bottoms or socks. The packages also included a check and a card. We also used to send these packages to my older sister when she was at college. Even though I love about 100 miles from where I went to college it was still a welcome reminder that someone was thinking of me. It is also great to time these around finals and midterms when students are huddled up in the library and in need of a spirit boost!

Hope that helps!

M.

December 10, 2007 Flag

My sister-in-law and I both have kids in college this year and decided to pare down a little by purchasing consumable gifts for $15 or less. These Lifesavers Gift Packs are what I am planning to give everyone on that list. Some of the items in each pack are similar, but I tried to personalize each one a little, including alphabet shaped sitcky notes, for example. I made vinyl bags because I thought they would be more durable, but zipper bags would work just as well or holiday treat bags with a design on the front and clear on the back.

Approximate Time: 20 minutes plus shopping time

Supplies

Instructions

1. Sew bags from vinyl or use zipper bags of desired size--sandwich size for purse, larger for in the car.
  2. Divide small items into containers, such as pins, cough drops, nails, etc.
  3. Make sewing Kits with 2 or 3 thread spools and 2 or 3 needles which have been to a section of ribbon or foil gift wrap.
  4. Fill pack as desired.
  5. Make label: "__________'s Lifesavers. Open in Everyday Emergency." Attach to pack with strapping tape. Attach roll candy the same way or just make sure it's visible from the inside, next to the label, so the person "gets" the pun.
  6. Add Christmas stickers to pack or drop in a few pieces of sparkly confetti to dress it up.
  7. Tie top of bag with tinsel pipe cleaner.

By Cindy from Waynesburg, PA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When my daughter was away from home for the first time and living with a total stranger roomy. I took a page from my Amish friends and made them each a "Sunshine Box." Whenever an Amish person is ill or down about something, the community and family make a Sunshine Box.

Education College Life Tips for ParentsMarch 18, 2016
Friendship Gift Package
Making a Friendship Gift Package
Care Packages for Troops
Sending Care Packages to Troops
Pink piggy bank wearing graduation cap with money in the slot.
Saving Money for College
thank you note ideas
Sending Thank You Notes
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 27, 2017 at 9:27:37 AM on 10.0.2.242 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.