Single Senior on a Limited Budget

A senior woman discussing her finances with her daughter.
This is a guide about single senior on a limited budget. When you are on your own, buying just the right amount of food to eat well can be challenging.

I'm a single "senior" so grocery shopping is a challenge at times, especially when it comes to milk, bread and other staples that will spoil before I can use them up. Buying smaller amounts of milk isn't an economical solution, so I buy a gallon and freeze two quarts (in quart jars). With bread, I freezer six slices at a time in gallon freezer bags for later use. I've also found that it's actually cheaper to buy a salad from somewhere than it is to buy all the ingredients fresh, unless you eat salad every day.

When I eat out (about once a week), I usually eat at a place that offers "meat and veggie" meals. I ask for a carry out box when they bring my food and put half in that before I start eating. That way, I get two meals for one price.

I'd love to hear about ways other single people on limited budgets with limited freezer space manage the grocery angle.

Top Comment

I grow vegetables each year. I don't grow near as much as I could and would like to. I don't because I don't have freezer space to keep the harvest. By the same token, I don't buy as much frozen food when on sale as I would like to for the same reason.

It looks like we both could benefit from a freezer. I have been looking around for one. They really don't cost much to operate. When I find a small upright freezer at a good price (they're about the height of kitchen counter tops), I will buy one.

One bargain I look for is Walmart French bread. It's only a dollar a loaf and doesn't taste like soy bean oil as some other brands do. You can often find it sliced. I buy as many loaves as I think my freezer will hold because I don't grocery shop very often.

I actually had no idea you could freeze milk. Sectioning off half the meal at the start is a great idea!

I have a single senior friend and we split the cost on things, like meat that neither of us will use before it's too old. Also when I cook a casserole I always share with her. Works for us! When she cooks stew, she shares with me.

I didn't know you could freeze milk either. Won't it separate? A great idea though.