Snowball Bush Won't Bloom

I've had it for several years and have only seen one or two blooms on it. The bush looks healthy. I planted another one in a different location in my yard and it doesn't bloom either. It's been there a few years, too. Could there be something missing in my soil?

By Karen L

Have you tried fertilizing at all? Try giving it some super phosphate. It probably won't bloom anymore this year but next year it should. Ask at a nursery that sells fertilizers and talk to someone knowledgable and they can show you where it is.

Is your snowball bush a hydrangea or a viburnum? I've heard the common name "Snowball Bush" used for both. Either way, I'd bet either the buds are getting cut off before they can bloom or they are not making it through the winter.

Viburnums bloom on the previous year's growth, so they should only be pruned, if needed, right after as they are finishing bloom, otherwise you will be cutting of developing buds without even realizing it. This can also be happening with a hydrangea, as many bloom on old wood as well.

It may also have something to do with lack of sun. I really don't think it has anything to do with the soil, but a topdressing of compost around the plant in spring and fall won't hurt.

If you have really harsh winters, you may want to protect the bush with burlap as it's possible the buds are getting damaged by harsh winter winds.

Oh, and one other thought. If it's a young plant, it may not be mature enough to bloom. It's taken me 7 years for some shrubs to bloom.

Home and Garden Gardening ShrubsJune 21, 2011
Balloon Snowball Fight
Having a Balloon Snowball Fight
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush