Solutions for Dog on Dog Aggression

An aggressive dog pulling on its leash.
Dog on dog aggression is a common issue for pet owners. This aggressive behavior can be the result of several factors. This is a guide about solutions for dog on dog aggression.

I'm really worried. I have a Great Pyrenees and she was never aggressive. About 2 years ago she had her first litter of two puppies. She did become overprotective, we couldn't get to near her or the pups. The crazy thing is that the dad of the pups wouldn't approach her or pay attention to her and she would want to attack him even if he was really far away. We moved her into the garage while the pups grew and eventually she let us get close until finally we moved them to the back. We have given the puppies away, although my dog has not been the same since then. She hasn't gotten pregnant anymore because she became too aggressive, she would attack my other dog on sight for no reason. I don't know why, and I don't know what to do because I don't want to put her down. But just recently she attacked him again, take in mind that the male dog is older now so he doesn't do much damage, she would not let go of his neck and hurt his leg. I just don't know what else to do.

I would discuss this with the vet. Dogs, as well as people, sometimes have changes in their brains that cause them to be aggressive. I would get a complete workup on the dog. You cannot live with an aggressive dog.

I think my dog is becoming aggressive! I have a 2yr old Pit Bull mix, he's a lovely dog and loves to play. The problem is he's started to fight back when a dog attacks him or initiates a fight with him. A few months ago he would usually run away from confrontation.

After about 3 times of him being attacked (usually with possessive dogs over something as simple as a stick) he's gradually started to become braver and the other day, when he was playing with a dog he knows quite well, they got into a fight. Mine went to get his ball back from this dog who is very possessive with toys, etc. As soon my dog went to get it the other one lunged at him growling and snarling. My dog just went straight back at him!

Thankfully he never does any damage, he just holds them tightly by the neck with his mouth. I managed to get him off, but the other one went straight for his face and now he's got quite a big wound underneath his eye where the tooth went in.

Why has he suddenly started to fight back when before he would just back off and run in the other direction? Thanks for any answers.

By Lisa

Here is the article list at leerburg.com.

http://leerburg.com/articles.htm

This should help you come to a decision on what kind of training or intervention you might use on your dogs. I love this site!

I have 10 month old Cocker Spaniel. We recently took him to a dog park that we had not been to in a while and he was very aggressive towards other dogs, nipping one on the tail and almost got into a fight with a Pit Bull. Needless to say we put him on a leash and took him to one of the enclosed areas. He is not aggressive towards my daughter's dog whom he has been around 3-4 times.

I am laid off and cannot take him to a trainer at this time, however I would think this is something that can't wait and needs to be addressed now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

By Kelly from Denver, CO

Answers:

Socializing a Dog-Aggressive Dog

Try this web site for tips:

positively.com

It's the site of dog trainer Victoria Stilwell, who has a TV show called "It's Me Or The Dog". She often addresses problems similar to yours, so I'm sure you could find helpful advice there. (08/09/2010)

By WildIrish

Does anyone have any ideas on training a 4 year old Yorkie? He is aggressive when we walk him and he sees other dogs. He hasn't been neutered. We were thinking of getting a muzzle. He's getting a little embarrassing. Please can someone help? Is socialization class the answer?

By kateh09 from Gainesville, FL

Answers:

Socializing a Dog-Aggressive Dog

Here is a link that I use for dog training. It is a great site. Also, I would not put the dog under the stress of going to a class just yet as there is some groundwork training to be done,

leerburg.com Good luck! (07/09/2009)

By Robyn Fed

Socializing a Dog-Aggressive Dog

Socialization is the answer, but you are going to have to accomplish this without the dog hurting or biting another dog and that can be tricky. I think at this point, you should involve a professional trainer to show you exactly how to socialize your dog in a safe way. Good luck. The dog aggression issue can be difficult to fix, but your dog is worth the effort! (07/09/2009)

By Rchinaberr

Socializing a Dog-Aggressive Dog

I would read and watch the Dog Whisperer (Cesar Millan) books and shows or go on his site to get some help or seek some other professional help. There is a lot of stuff on line. (07/09/2009)

By lorijb

Socializing a Dog-Aggressive Dog

Neuter him ASAP. He wants to be the alpha dog. Little dogs also have the "little man syndrome". They always think they are bigger than they are. Neutering is also better for his health. Dogs do get prostate cancer just like people. I work in a vet hospital, so I have some knowledge. Because he is older, it will also take several months for the testosterone to leave his system. Good luck! (07/10/2009)

By Sadielew

I have a 5yo male German Shepherd that can be dog-aggressive but becomes socialized when he's around other dogs routinely. My problem is that when I am out with him for on-leash walks and exercise, that other off-leash dogs frequently attack my dog. Old dogs, young dogs, male or female it doesn't matter.

My understanding of this is that the other dogs perceive my alpha dog as a threat and so attack my dog first. I always fend off these fights and run the other way but it causes me a lot of problems.

I want to socialize my dog but I don't know what to do about other dogs attacking my dog when we are just minding our own business. What I do now is to stay away from other dogs but then that works against socializing my dog. What should I do?

JCustan from Arizona

Answers:

Socializing a Dog-Aggressive Dog

I'm sorry not to be able to offer advice, I just wanted to say I know what it's like to be bothered by some one's off leash dog. Why do people let their animal run all over others' property?
(01/09/2009)

By kimhis

Socializing a Dog-Aggressive Dog

Dogs are often more aggressive on leash because they are tied to you, which makes them less able to move as well as they feel the need to protect you. Also running in the other direction can create prey drive and they will give chase for fun. I'd find a small group class and explain the situation with your dog. They will usually work with you. (01/09/2009)

By stinger

Socializing a Dog-Aggressive Dog

Get a can of citronella spray to spray the other dogs. Will not hurt them, but they will leave. (01/10/2009)

By Toebeanie.

Socializing a Dog-Aggressive Dog

I have to agree with Kimhis. I can't even walk my dogs in my own neighborhood. For some reason, my neighbors think they are exempt from leash laws. I know I could turn them in but then what would they do to retaliate? It's not right. (01/10/2009)

By Artlady

Socializing a Dog-Aggressive Dog

Dog park! That is how I socialize my dogs. The good thing about dog parks is that for the most part (there are exceptions) the owners look after their own dogs so there aren't any real problems. Of course fights happen, but my dog park is normally really good. Plus, your dog can be off his leash and get to enjoy himself more! I would just try it out, it couldn't hurt. (01/12/2009)

By JoniB

Socializing a Dog-Aggressive Dog

Ask your vet, but my best guess is that your dog is challenging them with his eyes. Dogs look at other dogs in ways that mean certain things. I know my German Shep intimidates one of my other dogs by looking at him, and when she does this, he will whimper and not walk past her until I tell her to stop looking at him. Sounds a little crazy, I know, but it's true.

I have a special needs husky that doesn't see very well, so my Shep is probably annoyed that she can't intimidate her :). I love my dogs. They are such fun. My cat doesn't care that much for them, however. They keep stealing her catnip mouse. (01/23/2009)

By stngray

Socializing a Dog-Aggressive Dog

You could also try a loud horn (like an air horn) to use if a strange dog tries to attack. It usually scares them away. You can try to socialize your dog by taking him to an obedience class. This way he gets to be around other dogs in a controlled situation. (02/06/2009)

By kallyc