Does Neutering a Dog Reduce Aggression?

Many pet owners look to neutering their dog as a way to reduce aggression. It may help to some extent, but it is not a cure for aggressive behavior. This is a guide about, "Does neutering a dog reduce aggression?".

My daughter has a 2 yr. old Pit bull. If she has him neutered now will it calm him down any? He is beginning to show some aggression.

Judy from Leighton, Al

Answers

Best Answer

Neutering almost always calms them down, I don't believe it's ever caused a male to become more aggressive. It decreases the amount of testosterone in the animal's body, and that chemical is responsible for aggression. It will take a while after he is neutered to become calmer, maybe a month or so, so don't wait!

Best Answer

My husband is a vet and he tells people the only thing a neuter ALWAYS does is keep them from making babies! It does sometimes calm them down but you shouldn't count too much on it.

Best Answer

I neutered my dogs at five months old in the hopes it would calm them down and it did not. I've been managing them for ten years now and wish I had invested more time in strenuous training instead of depending on the neuter to do the job. We all would have been happier. Train, train, train!

Best Answer

I would never, never force a pet to go through life unaltered unless I was a top breeder, it is not fair to them. You will have a much happier companion pet with neutering and spaying.

Aggression is one of the dangers of some un-neutered breeds, but I would suggest, in addition to neutering, to have a talk with the vet and a trainer.

Best Answer

Neuter the dog regardless of whether he will calm down. With the growing number of Pits (and dogs in general) in shelters (most of whom are destroyed), it's simply the responsible thing to do. If you cannot afford to get him neutered through your vet, there are less expensive "clinics" (or call your local Humane Society, SPCA, or local rescue group to see if they will do it for a nominal fee).

Will neutering my 4 year old extremely aggressive male toy Poodle stop him from being aggressive toward me and my family? He is sweet one moment, letting me pet him on my lap and the next moment he is stiff, growling and snapping at me.

By Tammy

Answers

Best Answer

Sounds like he is hurting somewhere. Yes, it is a very good idea to neuter. He will be healthier in the long run and hormones will stabilize. It will take a while to see if hormones could be the problem but spay and neuter is always healthier.

I have a male 2 year old Pit Bull and I recently got two Pit Bull puppies (male and female). My 2 year old has been attacking them and won't let them near us. I've heard neutering animals makes them less aggressive. Is this true? Is there any other suggestions I can try? I need all of them to get along, but my two year old won't give them a chance.
Please help!

Answers

Best Answer

Neutering will reduce aggressive behavior caused by a dog's sex drive. If two males are fighting over a female dog and one gets neutered, the neutered dog won't fight. If the aggressiveness is because of something else,neutering won't help.

Best Answer

It might help. Neutering the dog lowers the testosterone levels. Dogs and other mammals with lower testosterone levels tend to be calmer and less aggressive.