ContainerGardening

Spinach Grown In Containers

I hope I have persuaded some of you to look into the possibilities of using concrete mixing tubs as containers for plants. Once you fill the container with soil, that's it!

After a couple years use, you can amend the spent soil with a rich compost top dressing. After harvest, you can keep the tub covered with plastic. This will keep down weeds and help the soil warm up faster come spring.

I've grown lots of different shallow rooted vegetables in these tubs. One year, I grew about 10-12 different varieties of lettuce in them. I had some very nice salads that year.

I detest cooked spinach, but I discovered a few years back that most sandwiches are far better when made with cold, crisp spinach than they ever were when made with near tasteless iceberg lettuce and healthier, too. Iceburg lettuce has few nutrients.

If you have a hankering to grow stuff, but feel you don't want to be a full fledged gardener, consider some loose leaf lettuce or spinach in one of these tubs. I think you will be pleased.

I should have added that these tubs, especially the larger, make ideal raised beds for strawberries. Here is a shot of my strawberries growing in them. These are the berries nearly wiped out by a cold snap. They're making a full recovery.

Well I did buy several containers and have been getting them ready to place around a very large crepe myrtle - each filled with different flowers. I love fresh spinach but have never tried growing it but since you brought it up - this might be the time to experiment. Thanks

Betty

If you plant spinach now, then good. If you wait much longer, it will be too hot and it will bolt before you can get a good crop.

All planted and looking good.