Stain Remover For Set-In Stains

I used the following method to get out some set-in stains. (Red jello and spaghetti sauce mashed in and dried in the dryer, other unidentifiable stains noticed after clothes were dried.)

Make a paste out of Shout gel (or your favorite stain remover or detergent) and baking soda. Scrub this on stain with a firm toothbrush until as much is gone as possible with scrubbing. Then splash on a little white vinegar and let it foam for a couple minutes. Rinse with water as hot as is safe for fabric. Pre-treat again with a little more stain remover or detergent and toss into regular wash cycle immediately.

This saved several of my toddler's outfits.

By LynnB

Stain Remover For Set-In Stains

Thanks Lynn. I'm going to try this with a shirt of my husband's that is almost brand new and has set in stain spots on it. Hope it works for me too. Thanks again. (08/04/2005)

By evlevo85

Stain Remover For Set-In Stains

My daughter came in from school yesterday with her brand new pale pink blouse spotted with apple that had turned brown. I tried your method (it took three times), and it almost completely removed the stain! Thanks so much! (02/23/2006)

By Pamm

blue shirt red stain

Thanks Lynn. My grand daughter was over at my house and spilled red jello on her clothes. We tried your advice and it really worked. Her parents didn't get mad because they couldn't see it! (06/25/2006)

By Terry

Stain Remover For Set-In Stains

Ahh, thank you so much. This really worked. I didn't even have the vinegar, and it worked on a stain that went through the wash twice. (02/11/2008)

By Jill

Stain Remover For Set-In Stains

I used the Shout/baking powder paste followed by vinegar method on a red jello stain. It worked great. I would also recommend doing a double wash on stains (catch your machine before it starts the rinse cycle and set it back to wash again). The sooner you can get to a stain, the better! (06/02/2008)

By Lisa

Stain Remover For Set-In Stains

I once dropped bright red nail polish on a very delicate white blouse. I tried everything to get rid of the red without ruining the blouse, but nothing worked, so I figured I had nothing to lose when I tried a stain remover which called for me to boil the garment in water for several minutes, and presto; it worked. The blouse survived and looks great.

I'm not sure of the name of the product, but check in the stores for the small boxes of dye for clothing and among them you will find the stain remover. I believe it is a blue and white box, but I could be wrong. (10/11/2008)

By Sal

Stain Remover For Set-In Stains

For anyone looking for the box of stain remover that requires boiling the clothing item, I believe it is called "Rit". It is part of a line of clothing dyes and is used for removing colors from fabrics. (11/30/2008)

By H.G.

Had a new pair of white and blue striped cotton shorts on my daughter when she had a #2 blow out. It took me two days to get around to doing laundry so I forgot they needed pretreated. I pulled them out of the dryer and there it was. A dark brown stain. The oxyclean, bakingsoda and vinegar did the trick. I let it set for about 20 min, scrubbed it with a toothbrush, twice. Washed it once and the stain was effectively gone. Thanks for the tip!

Stain Remover For Set-In Stains
Nail Polish Remover Stain on Leather
Fixing Nail Polish Remover Stains on Leather
Using Kerosene for Stains
Laundry supplies.
Homemade Stain Remover Recipes
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors