Using Dawn Dish Soap as a Stain Remover

Category Stains
In addition to being an excellent grease cutting detergent for washing dishes, Dawn is also a very effective stain remover for your laundry, carpet, or other fabric items. This is a guide about using Dawn dish soap as a stain remover.

I really can't take any credit for this tip at all, except to tell you that it works. I used it to remove human urine from the decorative contour rug around our commode. Recently, someone from ThriftyFun suggested it and all credit to her.

I'd never been able to fully remove these urine stains. And believe me, I used everything. I used so much bleach that the rugs faded. In fact, I just got into the habit of buying new rugs regularly. This time, I wet a white rag with water and sprinkled a few drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid on it and rubbed it into the stain. I did work it in very well, but not for a long time.

I washed the mat with the highest setting of hot water, bleach (I don't measure bleach; I just count as I pour it, so I counted to 10 for the bleach). I use the cheapest laundry detergent I can find, but always less than they suggest. For the first time in ten years of marriage the stain came out. I couldn't believe it. No more Resolve or anything else for me. I'm going to try Dawn on every single stain and see what happens. Next time, I'm not going to use any bleach either.

Just one more thing. I threw away the rag I used to rub the Dawn into the urine spot. I only use white rags anyway to clean and I have a ton of them so if they get ratty or stained badly I throw them out. Sorry, but I can't stand dirty rags! They're just plain white bar towels or washcloths, the kind you get at Walmart 10 for $3.00. When I wash my rags I "count" the bleach to about 20, add my cheap detergent, but always less than they recommend.

I always, always use lots of water and less laundry. My mother taught me that the secret to clean bright laundry is lots of water and less soap. It always works for me. When the laundry and bleach are agitated together, I keep the lid open on the washing machine and let them soak in the bleach water, sometimes for most of the day. Then I close the lid and let the cycle finish. My rags are glowing white. I'm so proud! I hope you'll try Dawn and post your results.

Source: ThriftyFun.com

By metroplex from Houston, TX

I had a cat go on the carpet in my boy's bedroom. I was out of carpet cleaner, so I got an old tea towel. I made it wet with hot water and put Dawn dish soap on it. The stain came out and then I tried it on other stains in the room that I had already tried all kinds of cleaning products on that had never came out.

The stains were gone and the carpet looks new again. I am going to use Dawn dish soap on all my carpet spills, and stains. With 3 kids, a dog and 2 cats I will always be needing it.

By Kristie from Glen Rock, PA

Answers:

Use Dawn Dishsoap as a Stain Remover

Be sure to test a small spot first. I used Dawn to get out dog poop stains and it ruined my carpet and now has to be replaced. (04/27/2009)

By imaqt1962

Use Dawn Dishsoap as a Stain Remover

However, you didn't specify what KIND of Dawn DishSoap. I would think that would matter. Was it just the normal/original scent or was it another scent?

Editor's Note: I would use the most basic version of Dawn or any generic dish soap. (04/03/2010)

By cbar577329

Use Dawn Dishsoap as a Stain Remover

I used regular Dawn. I washed then used a damp sponge. will see if it works. Got an old dog who forgets to bark when he needs out some times. (04/03/2010)

By TENKILL

Use Dawn Dishsoap as a Stain Remover

I use Dawn to get greasy stains out of clothing. I had gotten chicken grease on a shirt, washed and dried it, and it still wasn't out. I then put Dawn on the stain, let it sit for a few hours, washed it, and it came out perfect. (04/03/2010)

By EJDCJ

Use Dawn Dishsoap as a Stain Remover

I have used Dawn to clean spots on my carpet, car seats, and clothes. Works great. I use the original Dawn - blue one. Not the oxy-clean one.
(04/03/2010)

By dvg

Use Dawn Dishsoap as a Stain Remover

Be careful what color you use it on. I put some on a brick colored jersey to remove a grease stain and it faded the color. I don't know what looks worse, the grease stain or the missing color! I would suggest not to leave it on too long before laundering. (04/05/2010)

By jabsgram

Use Dawn Dish Soap as a Stain Remover

It may get the stain out but will create a bigger dirt problem in the end. I once had a carpet professional tell me to never use anything but water on my carpet. It's impossible to remove ALL of the soap in the carpet and the leftover soap attracts more dirt. (05/01/2010)

By liknmylife

Use Dawn Dish Soap as a Stain Remover

Works even better on nice blouses that have grease stains on them, even if they have been put through the dryer. Also put the straight stuff on spots on your knit shirts. (05/01/2010)

By mgw10146

Use Dawn Dish Soap as a Stain Remover

I have heard from several sources that Dawn dish soap will also kill fleas instantly on pets, if you bathe them with it. It is going to be my new pet shampoo! (05/01/2010)

By jg2851

Use Dawn Dish Soap as a Stain Remover

Dish soap can also be good for cleaning spots on walls. Be careful, though, that your soap doesn't have coloring that will stain - that happened once when I used a cheaper, green tinted product. (05/02/2010)

By nettie_d

I have tried all kinds of spot removers for clothes. I had a stain on a white sweater one day and had to change it, so I could go to work. That night as I was doing the laundry, there was my sweater. What could I use. I saw my Dawn dish washing detergent on my kitchen counter, and thought, why not? I put a small dot on the stain, threw it in my washer. and it was gone when I took it out. I use the original one.

By Rita from Springfield, MO

Answers:

Use Dawn Dishsoap As A Spot Remover

What a good idea. Dawn is perfect on grease removing from dishes. I can't wait to try this on my clothes washing. (03/07/2008)

By Ace

Use Dawn Dishsoap As A Spot Remover

I agree that Dawn is good as a spot remover, it has a built in Degreaser. We travel a lot and also have used shampoo in a pinch.
(03/07/2008)

By patti r

Use Dawn Dishsoap As A Spot Remover

I use the Dawn detergent on any spot on any washable item, then throw down my laundry chute. When I do laundry, almost all spots come out, even though the clothes may have waited several days. I repeat the Dawn on the few spots that don't come out, and they do. (03/08/2008)

By jean

Use Dawn Dishsoap As A Spot Remover

Thanks for the tip! (12/04/2008)

By autumnjoy6