Removing Stains on Clothing

Awesome cleaner from the Dollar Store works great on every stain there is. From grease to grass stains on fabric, and will not affect the color of fabric! It is great for cleaning everything from lawn furniture to stove tops. It is well worth a dollar!

By beverly capece from Hanover TWP., PA

30 More Solutions

I have on several occasions used the hand cleaner Goop as a spot remover. I have used it on items that have gone through the washer and dryer with grease spots. Put Goop on the stain and rub it in. Leave it on from 5 minutes to a day or two before washing.

Each of my laundry baskets has either a handle or holes on sides. If I see an item in the laundry pile that needs special attention such as pre-treatment, I will thread that item through the handle or holes.

I spilled red jello all over the front of my white pants. It had dried before I could get home. No remedy seemed to work so I tried carpet spot and stain remover.

I keep a spray bottle of laundry stain remover by our dirty basket so when there is a stain, I spray it on the item of clothing before putting it in the laundry basket. This way it has a longer time to work and I don't have to remember which item has the stain.

I wanted to get stains out of my kids clothes and of course my family, I tried everything. So to get the water in Nebraska to soften more, I used Cascade with bleach, then to protect all colors in our clothes I used Clorox II.

Here is a tip for keeping clothes nice longer! I have had to throw out clothes with small stains, because we didn't notice them soon enough to treat the stain. I have started keeping a laundry stain stick next to each of my hampers.

To get those horrible red koolaide, ketchup or any color stain out of your white countertop - spray on Dawn Power Dissolver - let sit a few minutes, if stubborn use Dawns twirling dish brush and wash up. That easy. It has been wonderful find. Love Dawn. By Prov31Wise

When trying to remove a stain from clothing, use an old battery operated toothbrush to work the pretreatment into the fabric. If the stain is small, you can dip the toothbrush in the pretreatment solution and keep your hands clean.

This tip is for removing purple stains (Pedialyte) on white cotton shirts.

I bought a really cute top at the thrift store last week. It looked to be in terrific condition. I washed it (of course) and decided to wear it a few days later. When I looked in the mirror, there were two large, but light stains on the front. I treated them with a stain stick and rewashed. They are still there.

While it was still wet I used Spray and Wash Max and Stanley degreaser (just what I had). Still not gone. I have no idea what these stains are, just that they are light orange in color. The fabric is 60% cotton and 40% modal. Help! I only paid a dollar for it, but it is really cute.

Answers

Best Answer

Have you thought about possibly dying it darker than what it is now? That might cover up the stains and make the whole top
the same color, but I don't think it would accept the dye color if the top has stains made from oils.

Sometimes when a stain won't come out of something we really like a lot, that's the only thing left to do, unless you're able to get those stains out, but they could be set in with the dryer for instance, or other products that have been applied.

Best Answer

Try soaking it in a 5 gallon pain of hot water to which you have added 2 tablespoons each of hydrogen peroxide and powdered dishwasher detergent. Soak overnight and machine wash the next morning

Best Answer

There is a new product that I've been trying called Zout. It works very well, but you have no idea how set in the stains are so it may need some soaking. One thing that I have done if it is color fast, is to soak the item in Biz. That works well. And one last thing that works well for light colors is to lay the item in the sun for a day or a few hours at minimum. The UV rays from the sun "kills" stains and makes things crisp and bright looking again.

Best Answer

Have you ever heard of Awesome? Im trying that now. If that doesnt work, your suggestions sound great. Thanks!

Best Answer

Dawn dish soap. Squirt spots, let sit for a few hours before washing.

Best Answer

I am glad you were able to remove the spots as it is disappointing to find a bargain only to find flaws later.

• I use Awesome but it can be too strong for some fabrics as it will sometimes leave a "tint" that is also difficult to remove. I'm sure this has something to do with the type of material.
  • I would suggest with clothing, it may be a good idea to test it on an inconspicuous place before applying on other areas.
Answer this Question

I have a spot that somehow got on the front of my t-shirt that I really like. It doesn't seem to come out. I don't have any idea what it was.

I've tried 409 and some other spot removers that I have and nothing seems to work. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Answers

Best Answer

the older the stain, the more established it will be

if you soak a garment in cold water immediately after a stain, that usually will get rid of most stains

I have had a good experience with straight up hydrogen peroxide, though at times it can dye the fibres next to the stain

Best Answer

Since you do not say if this is a white shirt or a colored shirt it is difficult to give a good suggestion.
If it has been in the dryer you may not be able to remove the spot.
Also, if the shirt is anything but 100% cotton you may have a difficult time removing it.

Have you tried soaking wetting the stain with blue Dawn or any liquid soap and waiting 30 minutes then add water to more than cover, swish around and let soak all night; wash in normal load and see if that helps.

do not put in dryer until you know the spot is gone..

There are some different suggestions here:

www.thriftyfun.com/tf642217.tip.html

Answer this Question

My husband spilled coffee on his new cotton robe and then put in by the washer and drier. I was not told of the stain and when I came across the stain it was approximately 3 hours later. I sprayed the stain with Shout, let it sit for 5 minutes and then laundered as usual with warm water. I did not notice the light stain when I removed the robe from the washer and then dried it. Now I have a light stain and a not happy husband; so how do I remove a set in coffee stain on a cotton robe?

By Cathy

I made a French hand sewn dress for my daughter, 26 years ago. It is a light lavender color and cotton. A small light brown spot is on it. How can I get it out for my granddaughter to wear?

By Melinda from MS

I love Gymboree clothing, however as you know Gymboree stains really badly. I tried everything but nothing works. Any suggestions?

Maria

Answers

By jean (Guest Post)

Have you tried soaking in dish washer detergent and warm water? If you haven't, try 1/4 cup detergent in a bucket of water. Make sure the clothes are covered in the solution. Soak for 2 days, then pour into your washer and wash as usual. You may want to try one piece first to see if it works as well for you as it has for me.

Can anybody help me? I was at a glow in the dark party and got fluorescent dye on my favourite t-shirt. How can I get out? Thanks guys.

By Mel

I have a coat that has a very strong green water stain. What can I use to get it out? I hope you can help. Thanks.

While using liquid Tide detergent to rub a stain on some clothes before putting them in the washer, I got a splash of Tide detergent on my London Fog brown coat (that I was wearing while doing that). Now I have a dark brown, almost black spot on the sleeve.

How can I get it out? The coat is 56% biconstituent fiber (81% polyester 19% nylon) and 44% polyester.

One spot has been there for weeks. It happened before and I didn't try anything to remove it. The other spot is from today.

By Michael O.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsMarch 13, 2012
😷
🎄
🎉
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf892050.tip.html