Starting a Cleaning Business

Category Business
Starting your own cleaning business is a good way to work a flexible schedule and make a decent living, without a large outlay for supplies and equipment. This is a guide about starting a cleaning business.

A professional cleaner with his cleaning supplies.

Part of running a successful cleaning business is being able to estimate the job and charge a reasonable rate that will meet your financial needs and attract customers. This is a guide about setting rates for cleaning services.

How can I start cleaning foreclosed homes and businesses?

You might want to start by talking to your banking representative, ladinedunn. Bankers are the ones who take ownership, right? Make a list of questions: is your suggested service required, who would pay, do they have a rate in mind? You might also want to talk to at least one realtor and ask the same questions. The answers you get will probably spark more questions, but the more information you have the better understanding you'll have of whether it's a viable business.

If you decide to proceed (and I do think it's a great idea, by the way), print some business cards to give to realtors and bankers and perhaps think a bit outside the box? People who have to move out of a house because it's been reclaimed by the bank may not be the happiest and the possibility exists they've done some damage to the property. Before providing a quote to clean, inspect each one and take pen and paper with you. Make note of damages which need to be fixed before the place can be sold?

Good luck!

Have been in Alabama 2 years now from London, England and have been cleaning houses. I do windows, walls, housework and takes me 4 hours. I move things around to clean, they have 7 kids, and I really work hard nonstop. I get $40 dollars for the 4 hours. Their friends want their houses cleaned too and they all live in big houses. I don't think they are paying me enough. I don't know what to do about asking for more money. They will not have anyone else to clean their place, they say I do a GREAT job and I do.

I clean everything that needs cleaning. I have undercut myself somewhere and being new to America, my hubby think I'm not being paid enough. What do you think? Thank you.

Nina from Alabama.

It is a good idea to check your area to see how much other cleaners charge. In our area, the price is about $10-12 an hour but where my sister lives, about 60 miles away, cleaners get twice that amount. Good luck to you.

I think day care workers/babysitters and house cleaners are taken for granted. Both of these jobs are hard work. And of course, caring for children is more important than anything. I am surprised how much people will pay to have their lawn maintained but usual hesitate to pay for the care of their child/children.

I like to say a BIG thank you to everyone who sent me feedback, i'm going to have to try and ask for more money, i need a rise and they know i do a bloody good job.

I will put a add in the Gadsden Times and try and get new people to clean for.

Once again THANK YOU very much for your feedback.

Nina xx

I live in Alabama also. I never charge by the hour. I charge a flat rate depending on the size of the house and what my duties will include.

I am currently a stay at home mum going to college and would like to start a cleaning houses. What are the rates around Bordentown and do I need a license to do that? I really need help in figuring it out as I am ready to start working. I am very hard working and reliable. Just send me a mail and I will be there.

By Gloria from Bordentown, NJ

Answer Was this helpful? 2

A friend does house and office cleaning but not as a business per se. She did apply for the bank cleaning job, but had plenty of experience from cleaning at a motel. The few houses she does is by word of mouth. She's good and very thorough and with house cleaning charges $5 over minimum wage and a kenneled of 4 hours.

I pay twenty an hour to someone who does more and better in less time than expected. I am so happy with the sparkle she brings to the home.

I have been trying to get my cleaning business up and off the ground, but I seem to have a little trouble with getting people to engage! I have a Facebook page and post things all the time, but no one seems to pay attention. I had a post reach over 300 people, but not one messaged me or called wanting to schedule a cosulation with me! What am I doing wrong? I named it "A Helping Hand" something I thought sounded helpful and professional. I need opinions and help. Thanks in advance!.

Your name sounds great. I used to get clients by dropping flyers in paper boxes or door steps. I would print business cards and attach them to 1/2 sheet flyers that I made on the computer. For some reason people would keep those business cards and call 6 months to a year later wanting a bid. I had to drop 150 flyers to get a call. I kept track. I would get a friend to drop the flyers in paper boxes as I drove slowly through the neighborhood. It worked. Other things I tried did not. I made a good living at it.

I mainly clean homes. I have had a call to do an apartment complex. They want me to do the clubhouse 3 times a week and do the model homes about the same. What would I charge for that? Should I charge by the sq. ft. or the amount of time? For cleaning houses I charge $22 an hour. So what would I charge for something like that in Indiana?

By Janikawa from IN

If it were me in your shoes, I would state $22.00 per hour for the jobs if that's what you make in your area. You're the professional, they sought you out and now it's your call. You can still negotiate the price if they think it's too steep and you want to.

Or, ask for a couple dollars more and see if they're agreeable; if not, drop it to what you do make. You're in the business to make money and favors are for family.

My niece does cleaning, she charges by the hour.

Get each unit in good shape quickly, with the agreement that you get to take whatever was left behind by whomever moved out, to use or sell. It's really hard to get more when there are so many folks out of work that would do it for much less. God bless. : )

I wanted to know if my cleaning business needs to be registered?

By Stephanie

I replied to an ad on Craigslist and the person is saying I need to get enough supplies for 5 different houses. The homes are single family houses between 1800 sq. feet and 1916 sq. feet. They have 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, hardwood floors, carpet, and tile. They were built in 2006/2007. He asked me to send him the total cost for supplies, but I don't know a reasonable price for the supplies.

Can anyone help?

By Jon

How much would it cost to clean factories in South Africa?

By Matome

What are the cleaning companies charging per square foot for cleaning?

By Ernestine

I am living in Uganda and am a student in my last year at university. What ways can I go through to be able to start a cleaning service with minimal capital? Also how do I invite those that would support me financially? Thanks.

By Edwin

What should I charge for cleaning at apartment complex in Jacksonville,North Carolina? I was told the number of rooms for the apartments and they accepted that price I charged, 17 cents per sq ft. Now they have asked that I clean the main offices and club house, a weight room, tanning room, and a full sized basketball court and two common restrooms the average size of a basket ball court is 94 x 50. I will have 2 workers. They want the basket ball court cleaned once a month. What should I charge?

By Michele

I'm going to be cleaning a whole house. It's going to be a completely empty because they're renting it out. The job includes: bathrooms, bedrooms, window sills, stove, tile/wood floors, vacuum/shampoo carpets, and maybe garage. It's an average size house possible 2 story house.

By ssoto2