Starting a Cleaning Business

I'm planning to start a house cleaning business in southern California. What type of licenses/other start ups do I need and where do I do this? How much will it cost. I'm just starting slow doing a few houses per week.

By puffinsmom from RSM, CA

Answers:

Starting a Cleaning Business

When starting a small business you need to go to the county office building for a license. A little FYI you need to be bonded in case you break something. I paid 30.00 for my license for jewelry making. Also go to a tax office and find out what you can deduct on your taxes: your car, mileage or general (repairs, oil changes, etc.) a room in your home that you own, where you store your business items.

Car deduction is tricky you have to have a base than your mileage is counted from base to the job, for example I do catering for a restaurant not my own business. I drive 30 miles to pick up the food and deliver it with my own car. On my taxes I can only count the miles from the restaurant to the venue, so I charge my boss a delivery fee.

I am also tax exempt when I buy my product to make my jewelry, but then have to pay taxes on the finished product that I sell. All this is a little different than what you are doing, but it is a wise idea to look into. (10/16/2010)

By leekelly