Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Starting a Daycare Business

Starting any home based business takes some planning to ensure its ultimate success. This is a guide about starting a daycare business.

August 21, 2015 Flag

I want to start a daycare center at my house. I want to know that is it necessary to get legal permission or a license to start a daycare center. I want to start only a daycare not a preschool. Please advise me as soon as possible as to whether I need to register my daycare center or if it's OK if I start it immediately.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You need to talk to someone at your state's department of human services. They are the ones in most states the regulate daycare centers. In many states the requirement to be certified or licensed depends on the number of children you are going to have in your care. Do not open for business until you have all of your facts and legal requirements in place, or you will face the risk of being closed down quickly.

Be very careful and follow the first responders advise.

ususally anything business/service that has to do with children will have some state regulations and usually anyone working, living etc on the premises will have to go through the state's system to be sure they are no potential harm to the children.

Lots of rules apply and they will/may investigate the facilities to make sure you have everything set up the proper way (their way).

This is a very good way for someone to earn extra money and still stay at home but do try to be well informed before you start.

No one here knows where you live and all states (countries?) have different rules and regulations - even cities and counties may have additional regulations.

Many people do just take care of a child or two in their home and never report to any agency but this can present problems. Neighbor may complain and report you but it still may be okay. Some residential areas do not allow this type of business under any circumstances.

It would be best to follow the law and find out what is required where you live.

Also, don't forget that this is "income" and the IRS will want their share.

June 7, 2015 Flag

How or where can you find churches or organizations looking to get rid of daycare equipment for free or really cheap?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you intend to start a baby/child day care business, cheap or free equipment is definitely not a good start. The equipment you provide must pass all safety requirements and free or cheap equipment may not meet the required standards in your area. The equipment may be too old, designed incorrectly, etc., and may be cheap or free because of this.

I can assure you that an injury or worse involving a child using unsafe equipment will be costly. Your insurance company (your business plan does include insurance?) may refuse to pay for an injury occurring on unsafe equipment. If you do not have the funds or financial backing to buy equipment that meets all safety standards in your area, you must reassess your entire business plan.

If a church or charity doesn't want it, you don't either. Churches and other non-profits use this equipment themselves and since they are often on shoestring budgets their own equipment desperately needs an upgrade. Anything they can no longer use will be falling apart.

Dinah is right about insurance. You need to keep up with product recalls. If anything happens, insurance will not pay out if your equipment is discovered to be on a recall list or not up to recent safety standards. They may just decline to cover you at all.

For instance, in 2011 new safety standards were released for cribs. Any cribs that were not up to those standards became immediately illegal to buy or sell. Many people ignore those laws or just don't know about them, but insurance won't let you off the hook for that.

You can buy gently used equipment, but do a google search for a product recall before you buy, and check for recent safety standards for that category of product and how recently those standards were updated. If the item is older than the standards upgrade, don't buy.

I regularly see nice articles given or thrown away at clothing drops and yard sales and I feel awful that they go to the dumps! Try free ads in Craig's list and local papers and an ad on community bulletin boards and possibly your local library. You may even want to check your local recycling center. Good luck

February 10, 2015 Flag

Can anyone give me advice on what type of curriculum I can I use for toddlers 12 months to 3 yrs old?

By Kym from TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Are you planning to open a state licensed day care business or do you already have a state licensed day care business? Either way, I am concerned that you do not have a curriculum for 3 months to 12 months.

Federal laws require that all states have policies to open a day care center. I suggest that you investigate the federal and state requirements in your area for opening and maintaining a child care center. The day care operators must have the education, training, facilities etc., that each state requires to open a center.

My error re curriculum age 1-3 year olds.

April 22, 2015 Flag

I am planning on starting a new childcare center, serving children from 1 to 5 years old. I have several questions. I need to know how to: find a source of financial assistance, choose a logo, choose uniform colors, and decide what materials and play equipment I need for a start. Thank you for your advice.

By Seiyifa N.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

City of commerce has a lot of the recommendation s to starting new businesses. Internet google it or what ever is your favorites how to. There is the safety toy list on TV or on line.

November 16, 2015 Flag

I'm looking to move to the Murrieta Temecula area in California. I'm trying to find out if there is a need at all for county paid chid care. If so in what areas?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 14, 2014 Flag

I'm currently working on a certificate in Early Childhood Education. I'm hoping this will give me a better chance at getting work in the day care world. Soon I will also get CPR certified and fingerprinted. Sometimes I do find myself wondering, "Is this enough?". If not, what would I actually have to do? I would one day like to open a daycare of my own, but I would like to gain more experience in the field. I know I eventually have to get licensed, but what does that require?

By Jasmine L.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 2, 2014 Flag

How much is a reasonable minimum investment we can do for day care center in India? Here a consultant is asking for about 400000 Lakhs, India rupees. This includes toys, interior design for rooms, banners, pamphlets, and some sort of training for instructors. Does it seem to be a good option to go ahead and work with a consultant?

By Navi1819

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 28, 2012 Flag

I am not sure which is the best route to take. Should I go with a day care, child care, or preschool? Which one is the best choice to go with?

Also what would be a good name for each one? I would like it to be catchy, but also fun and cute. Something playful that will catch peoples' attention. Any suggestions?

By Stephanie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Business and Legal BusinessJuly 5, 2013
beautifully designed kitchen
Starting an Interior Design Business
Children at a daycare.
Saving Money on Daycare
Business Travel Tips, Business Woman on Laptop in Airport
Business Travel Tips
A young boy in an In-Home Daycare.
Starting an In-Home Daycare
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 20, 2017 at 9:55:51 AM on 10.0.0.130 in 575 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.