Starting a Vegetable Garden

My wife and I are starting a garden this year for the first time. We were wondering what kind of vegetables thrive near each other? What would be good to grow for our area? Any advice would be much appreciated, and put to good use. Thank you all very much.

By greengreenthumb from Detroit, MI

Answers:

Starting a Vegetable Garden

I am sending this link which tells which vegetables "not" to plant next to each other.
http://garden.lifetips.com/cat/63413/vegetable-gardens/index.html

I always started a "scrap" garden off to the side of the house and I buried potatoes that were growing roots and emptied tomatoes out there that went too soft. They were sometimes better than the store bought seeded plants with the exception of the yellow tomatoes and you can't beat those for taste! (05/08/2009)

By Robyn Fed

6a zone

Here is a link I found for your garden question: http://growingtaste.com/intro.shtml

Have fun with your garden. I forgot, in my scrap garden some of the best green beans are made out of burying plain pinto beans in the ground. They grow like crazy, but you have to look inside the leaves, the green beans will hide there. Have fun! (05/08/2009)

By Robyn Fed

Starting a Vegetable Garden

Here is a link to Michigan State Extension. In the upper right hand box there are links for gardening in your state, plus tips. Enjoy!

http://www.msue.msu.edu/portal/default.cfm?pageset_id=25658andpage_id=25720andmsue_portal_id=25643 (05/08/2009)

By lah34a

Starting a Vegetable Garden

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/1992-02-01/Carrots-Love-Tomatoes.aspx

There's actually a book called "Carrots Love Tomatoes" that you could either buy, or see if your local library has it. Good luck! (05/16/2009)

By Maryeileen

Starting a Vegetable Garden

Marigolds and nasturtiums are good companion flowers to repel bugs that are nasty. They must be the large marigolds that have the smelly leaves. The little dwarf ones don't seem to be effective.

There is lots of information on this. Google "companion planting" or something like that. I also recommend the "Carrots Love Tomatoes" book. (05/17/2009)

By louel53

Starting a Vegetable Garden

Hello, and good for you. There is a great book you should read, "The Back Yard Homestead" edited by Carlene Madigan. It's very good and has lots of information for the new gardener. Goodluck. (05/17/2009)

By debit4857

Starting a Vegetable Garden

For a summer and spring garden you can plant peas, corn, snap beans (green beans), butter beans, okra, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, and squash of all kinds.

I grow all kinds of greens, turnips, mustard, lettuce, rutabagas, collards, cabbage, also onions and garlic. I share with our neighbors and friends. You can call your county extension office for a free vegetable guide. Good luck.
(06/11/2009)

By kffrmw88

Starting a Vegetable Garden

Here's picture of part of my garden, a raised bed is the best way to go. You don't have to make it any more, just ad more composted manure to it as needed, about once a year, good luck. (06/11/2009)

By kffrmw88

RE: Starting a Vegetable Garden

Starting a Vegetable Garden

Only plant what you will eat. If you like it and it grows in your area, plant it. You don't have to grow everything the first time. Talk to a gardener in your area or a friend who has a veggie garden.
Jump in, just know you will have a learning curve of some kind.
The healthiest people have a garden and eat from it. (04/29/2010)

By oldlinda

Starting a Vegetable Garden

Years ago we had vegetable gardens, big ones, and I remember all of the hours we spent weeding, watering, etc. But I still wanted to plant a garden so I could have fresh vegetables.

I bought "Square Foot Gardening" by Bartholomew for $5 at the Dollar Store. It was worth every penny. I put in one 4x4 box and planted tomatoes and bell peppers. Then I added four 1x3 boxes for petunias. Last, a week ago, I added another 4x4 with beets, yellow wax beans, sweet corn, Kentucky Wonder pole beans, carrots, and radishes. Everything is coming up. The rows are close, but I can reach the center of the box for weeding; that's the only reason for having rows.

The initial cost was there because I purchased good soil, cow manure compost, and peat moss. This was laid down on the plastic that prevents weeds and grass from growing, but water will drain out. I just used enough seeds to plant the rows and saved the rest. As soon as these vegetables have been harvested I can immediately put more seeds in. I will add compost, but there will be no chemicals of any sort.

I strongly recommend you get the book, it's really good.

This picture is of the garden one week old.
(05/01/2010)

By clynnaltemus

RE: Starting a Vegetable Garden

A basket of late summer vegetables and herbs from the garden.
Growing Vegetables
Kale after snow has fallen.
Vegetables That Taste Better After Frost
beautifully designed kitchen
Starting an Interior Design Business
Watering plants in a vegetable garden.
Troubleshooting Your Vegetable Garden
Variety of garden vegetables and fruits in and surrounding a basket on a table.
Harvesting Common Garden Vegetables
🎄