Starting an In-Home Daycare

A young boy in an In-Home Daycare.
Having a child care service in your home requires proper business licenses and permits, as well as, safe and secure facilities. This guide is about starting an in-home daycare.

I'm starting a daily daycare business and I want to spend my money wisely. I need advice on how to make sure I'm not wasting any on unnecessary stuff. I also need to know how to build a management system that will make the daycare succeed.

By H.A.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I have run a home day care for 35 years. When buying stuff, think safety first! You need smoke detectors, a carbon dioxide detector, and a couple of fire extinguishers, one in the kitchen and one near the sleeping area. You need outlet covers and garbage cans with tight lids. You need childproof covers on your door handles, locks on cupboards, and gates in front of all stairs.

As for toys, you need art and craft supplies, building blocks, vehicles, dolls, doll house, a climber, a slide, and some child swings. Make sure everything is sturdy, non-toxic, hard to break, has no sharp edges, and won't fit into children's mouths. And children love books!

I am starting a new in home daycare. I need program ideas and help with contracts or any other forms you need to use. Thank you.

Mel from Oregon City

Answers

Wow, thank you all for your response. Such great ideas. I am happy I used this web site.

Aloha to all.

A friend of mine provided daycare in her home for years, she received reimbursement from the state she lived in for the food she provided for the children she cared for. She had to have all the receipts then once a month she wold submit her receipts then receive a check from the state. I believe she contact the local county Dept. of Human Services to find out how to participate in this. I believe she had to be state certified but I am not sure of what all she had to do to qualify. Just some info thought you might find helpful. Good Luck!

One thing that I did not think of was how my own kids would feel about sharing me, their home, and all the stuff that goes along with it. My DD, 12, always loved having the other kids around and didn't really mind. My son, 11 really did not like to share me and his world as a toddler. They both have their favorite kids and have others that they dislike as they have grown older. Also, My DH would love for me to work outside "his house" after 12 years but I cannot afford to start over at this point.

So, consider the effect that it will have on your family. That is something I didn't even consider when I embarked on this journey.

The USDA food program gives you $ amount per meal per child so you don't have to keep receipts. You do need to enroll. The impact on your family is HUGE so think it through. this is best thing I could have done as while my kids have to "share" me, I am home and the evenings and weekends are all "free time" as I have got all my cooking, cleaning etc done while they nap.