Storage Ideas For Small Kitchen Appliances

Category Kitchen
Kitchen with many Small Kitchen Appliances
Small kitchen appliances can be a challenge to store. They take up a lot of space on your countertop and can be bulky and require too much space in your cabinets. This is a guide about storage ideas for small kitchen appliances.

I have several small kitchen cooking appliances (2 crock pots, 2 electric skillets, large mixer, etc.) that I don't have room for in my kitchen cabinets. Just wondering if anyone has any cleaver ideas on where and how to store these while not being used.

Linda from Alabaster, Alabama

Best Answer

Works for me. Went to Home Depot, bought a big

2 door storage cabinet. Put it my garage.

Now all my big platters, small apliances that

I don't use often, bread machine, extra coffee pots,

all those hundreds of cake pans and pie tins we

somehow accumulate, have a home, and my

cabinets are not loaded. You would be surprised

how much I can put in it. Even some seasonal

decorations. Cost less tha $100 and worth every

cent. IMA3

Best Answer

To eliminate clutter in the kitchen drawers, I keep the large cooking spoons, ladles, spatulas... in old dishwasher silverware baskets on my kitchen counter along the wall. Hey, that dishwasher cost a lot of money and it's still being used, even if only the non-motorized parts!

I also hung 2 metal chain baskets from the ceiling and put some of the cluttering misc. items in there. Helped to tidy things up a bit. Stuff like the gravy strainer, the pasta strainer, accumulated mail for son who no longer lives at home because he was transferred to another city, ... on the outside of the baskets, I have S hooks from which metal mixing bowls with loop handles hang. Had my Dh add a hook that is very sturdily attached to the ceiling for these baskets because they are so heavy.

No, it's not cute nor pretty, but it gets the job done. This is a working kitchen that prepares nutritiously balanced meals, not a take out food type of family.

My only repetitious extravagance was owning 2 Farberware Open Hearths. This is for when the BBQ runs out of gas (usually when it's raining and I am in a hurry). One is in the attic and the other in the kitchen. I bought 2 because I didn't know that these were still available (found 'em on ebay) and one is a replacement for the other as each came with different accessories. My main concern was burning out the heating element. So I got a replacement element and some other stuff for a little bit more than the cost of just the element.

Bought the 3 tiered baskets at Wal-Mart and Bed, Bath & Beyond. Have seen them at K-Mart also.

Best Answer

I was raised up north, where all homes had basements and attics with usable space, which was great for added storage. For the last 27 years I have live in a southern state that has little top soil and mainly rock, so few homes have basements and little attic storage. (We know a family that built their new home with an extra room just for storage.) Our home doesn't even have an attached garage. Storage space is at a premium. I cook all meals at home, can, have several appliances, and it is extremely hard to find space to store them. One of everything is NOT an option. Just yesterday, I was canning and using two dutch ovens, a large 12 qt stockpot, and my large pressure canner. I've gotten creative in my storage of these items. We built cupboards in our utility room. We also have those shelves that attach to the door back for added storage. We have a small breeze-through where our kitchen exits into the back yard that has our hot water tank and freezer in it, and now the other wall is a full pantry. I also have a large buffet in my dining room that I keep kitchen stuff in, all enclosed. Under our stairs, we have a closet where we've built some shelves up high. We've also taken the soffits out (above kitchen cabinets), and I keep some things there. A crock on my counter holds cooking utensils. My grandmother's old Hoosier cabinet holds all spices, my mixer, cake pans, and baking stuff. Barrister bookcases in our entryway hold my cookbooks. It's not ideal, but everything is still close to the kitchen. My dream home will have a large kitchen with lots of storage. I don't care is the other rooms are small, I just want storage!

You can use the space under your oven if you have one, or you can also put pots and pans under your bed or store in your closet, think outside the box. Just because we have been taught kitchen stuff stays inside the kitchen, it doesnt have to , we can store our stuff any place we have room. Put your thinking cap on and I am sure you can think of some place that you have space that is not in the way.

jamish