Storing Avocados

Knowing how to best store your avocados will ensure that you fully enjoy these delicious fruit. This is a guide about storing avocados.

Avocados from Florida
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 17, 2015 Flag

To keep your avocados from turning brown, seal them together with a cut onion. I have a little plastic container, but you can also place them in a ziplock bag. The onion will keep the avocado green longer!

avocado half with onion slice
    Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 15, 2007 Flag

Does anyone have any tips for storing avocados after they have been cut into? Should they be refrigerated? Is it best to leave the pit in, or take it out?

Laure from Maryland

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The best way I've found to store them once they are cut is, either with or without the pit (I remove it) wrap it in Saran or other plastic wrap and press it close to the flesh, admitting no air. You can brush it first with citrus juice but as others have noted that will mess with the texture. I very seldom have any left over; I just fill 'em with mayo (somebody mentioned "Best Foods" and I believe that is the same as "Hellmans" here in the Southeast, and unless I make my own that is all I use), sprinkle with paprika and maybe a touch of garlic powder, and woof it down! I love those things. (And I'm gettin' hungry!)

Oh, and yes, by all means if you're going to keep it put it in the fridge. The idea is to keep air off of it, but it will also need to be kept cool. I wonder... I haven't tried this, but I wonder how it would work to put a thin film of olive oil on the cut parts before putting the plastic wrap on them. Has anybody tried this?

I agree the best way to store avocados is to splash with lemon juice with the pit still intact, put in a plastic bag and in the fridge. Another good way to enjoy avocados is make a wrap with hummus, avocado covered with some lemon juice and salt and pepper. Yummm!! Warning: you'll get addicted!!

The absolute failsafe way to store a cut avocado and stop it discolouring is to wrap it in tin foil and put it in the fridge. My brother is a chef and all the restaurants store them that way. Wrapping any vege in foil will keep it longer too.

Read More Answers...

January 22, 2014 Flag

When using avocado for sandwiches or on crackers, I cut off the top like an egg. I use the pulp from the top and a little bit around the tip inside. Then, I lightly squeeze the top and put the top back on just inside the avocado, leaving a much smaller area exposed. I can do this several times leaving the seed in until the last sandwich or cracker.

September 2, 2009 Flag

My sister has a grove of Avocados in Homestead, Florida, (just south of Miami) and she brought me some beautiful Butter Avocados and just could not resist sharing this picture. These are smaller than normal if you can believe that!

By whiitewolf from Fort Pierce Florida

Avocados from Florida

April 16, 2012 Flag

How can I keep avocados fresh? Will wrapping them and refrigerating them keep them from turning brown and last longer?

By Myrna

Avocados are sometimes fickle: I've had some that never ripen, and I've also had some that just stay hard on the outside, but rot on the inside.

That aside, you can speed up the ripening process by putting them in paper bags. That allows the natural off-gassing of the fruit (methane?...I don't know exactly what gas it gives off) and will help it self-ripen. Once they get a bit pliant (they have a bit of 'give' if you squeeze them with your thumb) I put them in the fridge and there they can last as long as a couple of weeks. I don't wrap them at this point: they are fine just sitting on the shelf as is.

Please note that if you put an avocado in the fridge too early - before it ripens, it will stop the ripening process altogether and they will never get soft. Again, I'm not sure why, but that would be the source for another question on this forum (any takers?).

Also, if you like avocados, try avocado shakes! Add a half an avocado to some soy milk, add agave nectar to taste and, boy, do you have one killer beverage!

Food and Recipes StorageOctober 2, 2012
      Canning Green Beans, Freezing Green Beans, Growing Green Beans, Storing Green Beans, Drying Green Beans
      Storing Green Beans
      Grapfruit wedge with grapefruits in the background.
      Storing Grapefruit
      Avocados cut in half.
      Using Avocados
      Halved avocado on top of pile of avocados.
      Freezing Avocados
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 1:12:14 AM on 10.0.0.6 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.