Storing Avocados

Knowing how to best store your avocados will ensure that you fully enjoy these delicious fruit. This is a guide about storing avocados.

Avocados from Florida
Filter Sort

Tip: Keep Avocados from Turning Brown

By Donna 309 325

To keep your avocados from turning brown, seal them together with a cut onion. I have a little plastic container, but you can also place them in a ziplock bag. The onion will keep the avocado green longer!

avocado half with onion slice

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Storing Cut Avocados

By Laure Sullivan 8 58

Does anyone have any tips for storing avocados after they have been cut into? Should they be refrigerated? Is it best to leave the pit in, or take it out?

Laure from Maryland

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

The absolute failsafe way to store a cut avocado and stop it discolouring is to wrap it in tin foil and put it in the fridge. My brother is a chef and all the restaurants store them that way. Wrapping any vege in foil will keep it longer too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Using Only Part of an Avocado

By Trixie Pettman-South 2 1

When using avocado for sandwiches or on crackers, I cut off the top like an egg. I use the pulp from the top and a little bit around the tip inside. Then, I lightly squeeze the top and put the top back on just inside the avocado, leaving a much smaller area exposed. I can do this several times leaving the seed in until the last sandwich or cracker.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Garden: Florida Avocados

By Debra 4 4

My sister has a grove of Avocados in Homestead, Florida, (just south of Miami) and she brought me some beautiful Butter Avocados and just could not resist sharing this picture. These are smaller than normal if you can believe that!

By whiitewolf from Fort Pierce Florida

Avocados from Florida

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Storing Fresh Avocados

By Myrna 6 7

How can I keep avocados fresh? Will wrapping them and refrigerating them keep them from turning brown and last longer?

By Myrna

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By thintieguy 12 13 Flag

Avocados are sometimes fickle: I've had some that never ripen, and I've also had some that just stay hard on the outside, but rot on the inside.

That aside, you can speed up the ripening process by putting them in paper bags. That allows the natural off-gassing of the fruit (methane?...I don't know exactly what gas it gives off) and will help it self-ripen. Once they get a bit pliant (they have a bit of 'give' if you squeeze them with your thumb) I put them in the fridge and there they can last as long as a couple of weeks. I don't wrap them at this point: they are fine just sitting on the shelf as is.

Please note that if you put an avocado in the fridge too early - before it ripens, it will stop the ripening process altogether and they will never get soft. Again, I'm not sure why, but that would be the source for another question on this forum (any takers?).

Also, if you like avocados, try avocado shakes! Add a half an avocado to some soy milk, add agave nectar to taste and, boy, do you have one killer beverage!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Preventing Avocados from Turning Brown

For an avocado that's ripe when cut into, how long will the avocado keep with the lemon juice? It is just cut in half, not sliced or mashed. One side has the pit in it yet. The other will have the lemon. How long will it keep without turning brown?

By Nancymae C.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Food and Recipes StorageOctober 2, 2012
      ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
      Canning Green Beans, Freezing Green Beans, Growing Green Beans, Storing Green Beans, Drying Green Beans
      Storing Green Beans
      Grapfruit wedge with grapefruits in the background.
      Storing Grapefruit
      Avocados cut in half.
      Using Avocados
      Halved avocado on top of pile of avocados.
      Freezing Avocados
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 6, 2016 at 5:24:12 PM on 10.0.1.133 in 924 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsPhotos
      NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
      Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
      BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
      CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings