Storing Garlic

Does anyone have any advice on prolonging the shelf life of whole garlic. My mother-in-law just gave us an entire bag. We usually only buy bulbs as needed and thus store them in a bowl in the pantry. However, we have discovered in the past that if they are not used they seem to dehydrate and become bad after a few weeks.

David from Birmingham, AL

Answers:

Storing Garlic Cloves

I found this page and thought it might help you store the garlic.

http://cecalaveras.ucdavis.edu/garlic.htm (07/18/2005)

By Joan415

Storing Garlic Cloves

Toss them in a ziploc freezer bag & put in the freezer. Bring out how many you need when cooking. (07/18/2005)

By badwater

Storing Garlic

According to a cooking show I saw quite a while ago, you can keep fresh garlic in the freezer. First, take the outer skin off the garlic and separate the cloves. I leave the thin skin on the individual cloves at this point. Stick the cloves in a zipoc bag, where I believe the show stated they can be stored for up to three months. When I need some garlic, I take whatever quantity I need out of the freezer and let it defrost for about 20 to 30 minutes. Then, I peel off the thin skin and cut it up however I wish for my recipe. Garlic this way tastes almost as good as fresh garlic. Just a note, though, the garlic turns a bit golden-yellow from the freezing and thawing, but its taste is still good. (12/06/2005)

By truerblue

Storing Garlic

After I pick my garlic from the garden. I cut the tops off & then i string them & hang them too dry. When they are dry hang them in a cool place. You are going too have too leave the skins on the garlic. My garlic lasts all winter long & i eat a lot of garlic. If the garlic is dry i would just sting them & hang them up. (12/07/2005)

By Joyce wis

Garlic Bulbs
Preserving Garlic
Garlic Salt
Homemade Garlic Salt Recipes
Making Garlic Powder
Making Garlic Powder
Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
Storing Garlic
Storing Garlic
🎉
🎄