Tips for Graying Hair

Many woman choose to maintain their gray hair naturally. This page contains tips for graying hair.

June 30, 2015 Flag

Several years ago, my husband and I went through several months of treatment and recuperation with my husband's colon cancer. While he was recuperating at home, I started doing his haircuts. Now that he has been "clean" for several years, I still do it because it is more economically feasible. Both he and I are completely silver, or so I thought. This morning, I was doing his cut and I saw a little black dot with a little thread-like thing sticking out. On closer inspection, I found ONE black root with ONE dark brown hair sticking up! We laughed and laughed about it so I thought I'd better share.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments

May 22, 2004 Flag

I homeschool my daughter, and in one of the stories that we were reading (Neighbor Rosicky by Willa Cather), a 1920's frontier woman covered her graying hair with a brew of strong tea. I tried it, and it works! It doesn't completely cover the gray, but it does make it less noticable, and only costs the price of a tea bag per day. Nancy from PA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 3 Comments

April 6, 2010 Flag

I am getting grey hair. What can I do?

By Joan from Roswell, NM

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I like henna, and use Light Mountain brand, which I buy at a local food co-op. It isn't that expensive, and I only use 1/2 package at a time. I usually apply it every 3 months or so, and I have quite dark brown hair. It is messy, though, so just put newspaper everywhere in the bathroom, and be sure to wipe up any spots if they splatter. It works well to put the mixed henna in an old ketchup squeeze bottle (not the bottle from the store) and a small paintbrush helps, too.

I do not recommend plucking the gray hair out unless you have so much extra hair that you don't care if it permanently thins out! Plucking 'any' hair on your body continually over time damages that hair follicle to the point where the hair will no longer grow from it :-o

I go to the hairdresser every four weeks and have color put on. My hair grows fast and I do not like any light roots showing. If your hair does not grow fast, you can go longer. If you just have a few greys, get some product that only colors the grey. If you have a perm, hair color done at home seems to darken more on the ends than at the roots.

FLAUNT IT! Grey hair is beautiful! Look at Paula Deen, EmmyLou Harris, Heloise, just to name a few. Look for hair products specifically designed to make grey hair more beautiful. I get compliments on my grey hair! Maybe you will too. Besides, I hear it's all the rage now, and people are even asking for grey hair at salons. I just read that yesterday.

Deeli, oh Deeli, I wish that were so. For if it worked as you declare, there'd be no place for my tweezers to go. But alack and alas, I have to say that my chin gets attention most every day!

Life is cussid like that - I have very sparse eyebrows.

Joan, there are enough expenses in life without wasting money - we all recognize "dyed" hair when we see it sand anyway Sharmayla has a very good point, though I may be biased speaking as a gray/white non colored!

Popet, oh Popet ;-) Chin, nose and ear hairs arrive in females because of hormonal changes and just keep a comin' ;-) Not to be mean but I'll venture to bet you were an eyebrow plucker and that's why yours are now sparse. The same thing happens to the hairs on our head as happens with the eyebrows that are continually plucked. I know from whence I speak having been a hairstylist for 35 years and a second generation hairstylist at that ;-)

I do like your poem though and agree about natural color :-)

February 27, 2011 Flag

I need to know how to naturally let my gray grow out faster, but healthy and shiny!

By Ann

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Depending on your water, you may need to use a shampoo for gray or blond hair. I use one called Silver Fox and there are others out there. Gray hair must be kept clean to look nice. I wear mine in a bun or a braid, or twisted around somehow. I use Tate's conditioner to keep it under control. Good luck--it will certainly look better than dyed. You will need to change your make up too so you don't look too washed out. I have found I can wear colors I could never wear before, but look awdful in some of my old favorite colors.

To make your hair to grow faster is massaging your scalp to open up the pores. You can get scalp massages and the beauty shop or do it your self. Just use what ever you want, like olive oil or look around for scalp massage cream. It's so relaxing and it really works if you keep doing it and you'll see new hair growth. You need to work on your scalp where the hair grows from.

I started having scalp problems with hair color and decided to go grey. When the color grew off I looked washed out and tired. I used Roux for a while which gave it some shine but it still wasn't what I wanted and I still looked washed out. And I got tired of putting that on my hair every time I shampooed. I went to the beauty supply store and bought a demi color in light blonde. It's not as harsh as it has no ammonia in it and washes out in a few weeks. I didn't want the color to touch my scalp so I mixed it in a bowl and painted sections on my hair with a brush I also got at the beauty supply store. I painted a few sections on my bangs with an old, washed mascara brush. I now love my hair again; it looks like low-lights and I still have a lot of grey. I actually like my grey just not a full head of it. Now I don't look so washed out and I've gotten some good comments. I got this idea from a web site.

Hi Ann, I'm in my 50's and grey hair set in when I was in my late 20's. It runs in our family. I tried dying it for awhile, years ago (hated all that trouble) and one day my husband asked me to leave it grey.He loves it and I always get a lot of compliments on it. Be proud of that grey. I'm sure you worked hard for it! I only use hair products specifically made for grey hair. The shampoos are usually a purple shade.They also make conditioner and if you have a hard time finding them, any good hair dresser will carry products for grey hair. About once a month I use a cleansing shampoo like Nutragena(might have spelled that wrong).It will take away any built up residue. Good luck. We "grey" women have to stick together!

Just shampoo and condition. Grey hair goes through lots of stages of greying, and each one is full of interest. In no other colour do you get such depth and varying shades. Enjoy!

Congratulations. My hair was very dark (almost black) and I colored it for years. Hated the idea of putting those chemicals on my head. Finally decided last year to let it grow out. I cut it short and it took me 3 months. Actually my husband was not too crazy about the idea since he is blond and you cannot see the gray in his hair. Everyone else loved it and I got lots of compliments. I always had healthy, shiny hair but the gray is definitely different. Naturally, the hair has lost it's pigments so keeping it shiny is a challenge. I do not wash it every day although I do rinse it in the shower. My hair is also thick and very straight and has it's share of cowlicks. All in all, I love my gray hair which grew in salt and pepper. I don't recall seeing any senior citizens with natural dark hair. I will turn 65 next month and I'm thrilled that I don't have to put that junk on my hair every 4 weeks.

August 21, 2010 Flag

What can you do for grey hair that is starting to yellow?

By Velma

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use Generic Conditioning Shampoo from Sally's. Compare it to: Clairol Shimmer Lights Original Conditioning Shampoo. Takes away the yellow. Adds sparkle and shine. So the bottle says. I use it once a week and it keeps my gray hair from getting dull. Works for me.

Silver Fox shampoo works well also. Pantene had one for extremely bleached hair that left beautiful silver highlights.

There is a shampoo/conditioner called Pure Blonde. It is in a tube and looks purple but does not color your hair purple.

I think I got it at a hair supply store. My hairdresser recommended it and it does the job.

Do you smoke? The nicotene will make your hair yellow. My mom had the prettiest silver & white hair when she stopped smoking for awhile & it went right back to nicotene yellow when she started smoking again!

Use a bluing shampoo and/or conditioner as already recommended. A clarifying shampoo once or twice a week will help greatly to remove chemical buildup too :-) Sometimes medications will yellow hair but a lot of times it can be caused from the environment from bad air quality (smog) and, of course, smoking or being around the smoke from other people smoking around you.

You can also use a couple of drops of Mrs. Stewart's Bluing which is used to brighten whites in the washing machine. Just add it to your normal shampoo. My husband's grey hair started yellowing this summer from being in the sun. I have also used the generic brand of Shimmering Lights from Sally's. I too am a blonde but a bottle blonde and I use a couple of drops of a purple solution I buy at Sally's to put in my hair color to prevent brassiness.

I have never been able to find the "purple shampoo" as I call it except at Sally's. I sell Avon and they used to carry it, but don't anymore.

February 12, 2011 Flag

Have you used color enhancing shampoos on your virgin gray/white hair? Do they add color and do you have to use it for a number of shampoos in order to see results?

By Betty

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ask your hairdresser to add in lowlights to the bottom layers of your grey hair. While the first instinct of many people is to add highlights, lowlights will create depth in the color and enhance its natural beauty. Wash your hair with shampoo formulated specifically for grey hair. This shampoo enhances the natural color and protects it from yellowing.

Condition your grey hair with conditioner formulated just for grey hair. This conditioner not only protects it from yellowing but combats dryness as well. Use a purifying shampoo once a month to remove any buildup on your hair. The trick to enhancing grey hair is to keep its natural tone and not allow it to be altered by yellow and brown buildup caused by polluted air. Keep your hair trimmed. Trimming hair prevents breakage and helps it grow in healthier, enhancing its beauty.

Go to a beauty supply store to purchase shampoo especially made for grey hair.

September 13, 2009 Flag

Does anyone have any tips for long gray hair? I would like suggestions for attractive styles for older women and tips for keeping it looking healthy. Thanks.

By Rose1953 from Greer, SC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The best suggestion I can give as I was a hairdresser is to find a good straight on face picture of yourself that you can cut up. After you cut the picture out completely only leaving your face and shoulders but no hair other than if you have bangs, then take the photo and start browsing magazines, newspapers, etc for hairstyles even look on line for them and dont discount wigs as an option for this. When you find a photo of a hair style that you like take the photo of yourself and lay it over the face of the model in the picture. This may not be a "perfect fit" but it will give you a pretty good idea of what you will look like with that specific style. This seems to work well using the computer as you are able to pull up wigs and hairstyles alike to " try out " your new style.

Once you find something pretty close to what you like and that will fit your lifestyle try going to a wig shop and trying on some wigs, this will give you a very good idea of the look on you. Once you do find a style make sure to get a picture as there is nothing worse than trying to describe a hairstyle to a hairdresser that has never seen the style as well as how to cut it in for you so the photo is the best and if it is a wig that you like the style of use your cell phone or digital camera and take a picture of it on you to show your stylist. Hope this helps and good luck on your new look.

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips TipsApril 23, 2013
A woman with long hair.
Growing Hair Faster
Woman holding a dog in arms.
Removing Pet Hair from Clothing
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 3, 2017 at 4:23:16 PM on 10.0.0.236 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.