Browsing: Tips for Graying Hair

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Tips for Graying Hair

Many woman choose to maintain their gray hair naturally. This page contains tips for graying hair.

woman with graying hair
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 30, 2015 Flag

Several years ago, my husband and I went through several months of treatment and recuperation with my husband's colon cancer. While he was recuperating at home, I started doing his haircuts. Now that he has been "clean" for several years, I still do it because it is more economically feasible. Both he and I are completely silver, or so I thought. This morning, I was doing his cut and I saw a little black dot with a little thread-like thing sticking out. On closer inspection, I found ONE black root with ONE dark brown hair sticking up! We laughed and laughed about it so I thought I'd better share.

April 6, 2010 Flag

I am getting grey hair. What can I do?

By Joan from Roswell, NM

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

FLAUNT IT! Grey hair is beautiful! Look at Paula Deen, EmmyLou Harris, Heloise, just to name a few. Look for hair products specifically designed to make grey hair more beautiful. I get compliments on my grey hair! Maybe you will too. Besides, I hear it's all the rage now, and people are even asking for grey hair at salons. I just read that yesterday.

Deeli, oh Deeli, I wish that were so. For if it worked as you declare, there'd be no place for my tweezers to go. But alack and alas, I have to say that my chin gets attention most every day!

Life is cussid like that - I have very sparse eyebrows.

Joan, there are enough expenses in life without wasting money - we all recognize "dyed" hair when we see it sand anyway Sharmayla has a very good point, though I may be biased speaking as a gray/white non colored!

Popet, oh Popet ;-) Chin, nose and ear hairs arrive in females because of hormonal changes and just keep a comin' ;-) Not to be mean but I'll venture to bet you were an eyebrow plucker and that's why yours are now sparse. The same thing happens to the hairs on our head as happens with the eyebrows that are continually plucked. I know from whence I speak having been a hairstylist for 35 years and a second generation hairstylist at that ;-)

I do like your poem though and agree about natural color :-)

Sorry, and ya'll can call me vain if you like but grey is not ALWAYS beautiful. There is nothing more unattractive when we all walk out of the salon looking just alike, grey with a VERY short neckline cut or tight permed. When I have to find a new hairdresser if I walk out looking like everyone else I don't go back. I colored for years and when I decided to let it all grow off I looked tired and dull and my hair had no body. When I colored it again people raved at how attractive it was. I'll probably go to my grave as a blonde. Yes, grey can be beautiful on some but not all. The right color job can do wonders.

Read More Answers...

February 27, 2011 Flag

I need to know how to naturally let my gray grow out faster, but healthy and shiny!

By Ann

Hi Ann, I'm in my 50's and grey hair set in when I was in my late 20's. It runs in our family. I tried dying it for awhile, years ago (hated all that trouble) and one day my husband asked me to leave it grey.He loves it and I always get a lot of compliments on it. Be proud of that grey. I'm sure you worked hard for it! I only use hair products specifically made for grey hair. The shampoos are usually a purple shade.They also make conditioner and if you have a hard time finding them, any good hair dresser will carry products for grey hair. About once a month I use a cleansing shampoo like Nutragena(might have spelled that wrong).It will take away any built up residue. Good luck. We "grey" women have to stick together!

Just shampoo and condition. Grey hair goes through lots of stages of greying, and each one is full of interest. In no other colour do you get such depth and varying shades. Enjoy!

Congratulations. My hair was very dark (almost black) and I colored it for years. Hated the idea of putting those chemicals on my head. Finally decided last year to let it grow out. I cut it short and it took me 3 months. Actually my husband was not too crazy about the idea since he is blond and you cannot see the gray in his hair. Everyone else loved it and I got lots of compliments. I always had healthy, shiny hair but the gray is definitely different. Naturally, the hair has lost it's pigments so keeping it shiny is a challenge. I do not wash it every day although I do rinse it in the shower. My hair is also thick and very straight and has it's share of cowlicks. All in all, I love my gray hair which grew in salt and pepper. I don't recall seeing any senior citizens with natural dark hair. I will turn 65 next month and I'm thrilled that I don't have to put that junk on my hair every 4 weeks.

As we age, this suggestion is an important one. Do not wash your hair daily but rinse it when you shower and add a conditioner daily. It makes your hair shiny and manageable and look fresh.

My friend decided she was done being a natural redhead that was done often. Her natural red gave way to grey. It was a couple months of frequent hair cuts (short) that had her hair where she wanted in short time. What reside had stayed after the first 6 weeks looked like natural highlights. The next cut took that growth out too.

I am 56. My hair still grows about 1 inch a month, so no more than 2 months goes by without a proper razor cut. Still a natural red head but the frequent trims keep it red, the grey stays in as high lights.

One thing, hair length and certain colors at certain ages needs to be watched closer. Some styles of grey will age you past your grandmother. If you have a youthful style but the grey color screams 30 years older, you don't want that!

Read More Answers...

August 21, 2010 Flag

What can you do for grey hair that is starting to yellow?

By Velma

Do you smoke? The nicotene will make your hair yellow. My mom had the prettiest silver & white hair when she stopped smoking for awhile & it went right back to nicotene yellow when she started smoking again!

Use a bluing shampoo and/or conditioner as already recommended. A clarifying shampoo once or twice a week will help greatly to remove chemical buildup too :-) Sometimes medications will yellow hair but a lot of times it can be caused from the environment from bad air quality (smog) and, of course, smoking or being around the smoke from other people smoking around you.

You can also use a couple of drops of Mrs. Stewart's Bluing which is used to brighten whites in the washing machine. Just add it to your normal shampoo. My husband's grey hair started yellowing this summer from being in the sun. I have also used the generic brand of Shimmering Lights from Sally's. I too am a blonde but a bottle blonde and I use a couple of drops of a purple solution I buy at Sally's to put in my hair color to prevent brassiness.

I have never been able to find the "purple shampoo" as I call it except at Sally's. I sell Avon and they used to carry it, but don't anymore.

I use yellow out. You can buy it at a beauty supply store. If that do not work use Shimmering Light, but don't leave it on more than four or five minuetes or it will leave you hair purple.

Read More Answers...

May 22, 2004 Flag

I homeschool my daughter, and in one of the stories that we were reading (Neighbor Rosicky by Willa Cather), a 1920's frontier woman covered her graying hair with a brew of strong tea. I tried it, and it works! It doesn't completely cover the gray, but it does make it less noticable, and only costs the price of a tea bag per day. Nancy from PA

February 12, 2011 Flag

Have you used color enhancing shampoos on your virgin gray/white hair? Do they add color and do you have to use it for a number of shampoos in order to see results?

By Betty

Ask your hairdresser to add in lowlights to the bottom layers of your grey hair. While the first instinct of many people is to add highlights, lowlights will create depth in the color and enhance its natural beauty. Wash your hair with shampoo formulated specifically for grey hair. This shampoo enhances the natural color and protects it from yellowing.

Condition your grey hair with conditioner formulated just for grey hair. This conditioner not only protects it from yellowing but combats dryness as well. Use a purifying shampoo once a month to remove any buildup on your hair. The trick to enhancing grey hair is to keep its natural tone and not allow it to be altered by yellow and brown buildup caused by polluted air. Keep your hair trimmed. Trimming hair prevents breakage and helps it grow in healthier, enhancing its beauty.

Go to a beauty supply store to purchase shampoo especially made for grey hair.

September 13, 2009 Flag

Does anyone have any tips for long gray hair? I would like suggestions for attractive styles for older women and tips for keeping it looking healthy. Thanks.

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips TipsApril 23, 2013
A woman with long hair.
Growing Hair Faster
Woman holding a dog in arms.
Removing Pet Hair from Clothing
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 6:37:54 PM on 10.0.2.241 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.