Tips for Selling Crafts

If you enjoy crafting, you may be considering trying to sell some of your creations. This is a guide about tips for selling crafts.

March 25, 2010 Flag

Any ideas how to promote my hand crocheted items? I've been doing craft shows and I have a site on Etsy.com. It's notjusthats.etsy.com. I've put a lot of time and money into this, but I'm not seeing the rewards. Maybe I'm being a bit impatient, but it's been about 3 months now. Any suggestions how to get my name out there?

By Sheila from Burlington, NJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I was an eBay seller for several years, and I could sell yard sale finds, small collectibles, clothing items,etc. but had no luck whatsoever in selling my crafts. If you sell them on eBay, you have to be willing to sell them at about 1/3 the price that you can get at a craft show. As a matter of fact, the last craft item that I advertised on eBay was Panoramic Sugar Eggs for Easter. They are large hollow eggs molded from sugar with a peephole in the end and a small figure inside. I started the bid at $4.00 and never got a bid. Craft shows, in my opinion, are the best outlet. And it is a good idea to visit the show and see what kind of attendance they have, take notice of how many people are carrying packages, speak with some of the vendors and ask a few questions before you reserve a space. Another outlet is some areas would be the Farmer's Markets. They primarily sell fresh vegetables, but many also invite you to sell handicraft items. Or another option might be to display your wares in an area that has traffic flow. Perhaps you can find a small business owner who will allow you to set up on the corner of his parking lot. You may have to pay a small fee to interest him, and you will have to check the local laws, because in some cities, you will need a peddler's permit. Depending on what type of crafts you do, you might display them in the beauty shop where you have your hair done. Small items suitable for baby gifts, shower, or wedding gifts would be appropriate. Flea markets and yard sales usually don't work out. People are looking for inexpensive bargains here, and you cannot get a fair price for your goods. I have been crafting for 40 years, and hope some of these tips are helpful to anyone wanting to get started. Many of the patterns that I have submitted to Thrifty Fun are things that I have made and sold at craft shows over the years.

Harlean from Arkansas

Best Answer

Hi Sandy; Have you tried visiting small shops (ie. florists, spas, boutiques) any store that would compliment your craft and ask to display them on consignment? They have nothing to lose and everything to gain if they sell. You can also make a brochure with pictures of your crafts with contact information; and then of course there are the craft fairs and ebay. Good Luck to you!

Best Answer

Have you tried selling them in a yard sale or have a stand at a local flea market?

Read More Answers...

March 8, 2015 Flag

I want to make things to sell, but I am not good on sewing or jewelry making.

By Rebecca L.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

If you want to sell things that you have made, you need to develop the skills and experience in a craft or crafts such as knitting, crochet, painting-oil & watercolor, pottery, woodworking, metalurgy, etc.

Choose a craft and dedicate yourself to the ongoing learning and continual practice it will take to achieve the skill level to produce items to sell. This will require many months, at least, and perhaps years before you can start to sell your crafts. Good Luck!

You don't have to be an expert crafter to get started crafting. Here are some crafts you could sell and get started with fairly easily:

Candles

Soaps

Wreaths

Ribbon angels or doily angels

Christmas ornaments or cards

The internet can be very helpful. Search for something that's not too complicated that you enjoy doing and try selling your finished products. It will be trial and error as you figure out what people want to buy.

February 13, 2014 Flag

If you were making them to sell for a charity, how much would you ask for them? How much do they sell for?

By Brenda

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Depends on the size. If you make the mask ones for headache $5.00, then go up a couple dollars for each one until you get to the big ones. I sell big ones for $15.00 to $20.00. Make sure you have information to send with them for use. Hype it up like it is a new idea or breakthrough and you will sell more.

I was always told, cost of material then half again. Hope this helps! Debre

November 1, 2011 Flag

Wherever I go I take my handy craft bag with me. I do a lot of crafts that include sewing and whenever I am waiting for long periods at a time such as at hospital visits I work on my crafts. I always try to take a completed sample with me if the product is small enough and you wouldn't believe how many times I have sold my sample or taken orders by people seeing my work. My advertising just by working on my craft paid off and cost me nothing.

By Ann from Loup City, NE

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 14, 2015 Flag

I want to share with you a lovely site for handcrafted goods. The admins are a lovely couple and they put a lot of work and time into it. It costs 5 dollars a month and they don't take commission on the items you sell. All they expect is that the items be handcrafted by you, the seller. Check them out, it is handmadeartists.com

I wasn't asked to do this. I just have some strong convictions about sweat shop merchandise.

Link: https://handmadeartists.com

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 4, 2011 Flag

Save colored onion bag netting for small items. If the bag is open ended, simply tie a knot in one end; fill, allowing approximately 6 inch excess; and cut off remainder.

Prepare a label or gift card on your computer, print, and glue to cardboard (it can be a circle, heart, animal shape, etc.). This card will be folded in half, so print accordingly. After folding card in half, use a hole punch to place one hole in the center (if hole punch won't reach, then fold card and punch on edge).

Open card, twist netting, and run the open end through the hole in the card (so it will be on the inside of the folded card). Twist netting again and tie a loose knot. Cut off any excess netting. Fold the card and use one staple to close. This would be great for craft shows or gifts.

By Ann from Mineola, TX

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 4, 2010 Flag

I'm looking for a way to display children's aprons and chef hats at my local market day. I looked into buying a mannequin, but they are very expensive. Is it possible to make one? I plan one having my daughters modeling them. I just don't know how to hang or display what I have for sale. Thanks in advance.

By Kristina from south TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I made hats for my daughter's bridal shower and hung them with clothes pins on garland across my window and then clothespinned the rest right onto the curtains. I am thinking you could find a way to do it on ribbons or cord or rope between two tables. The clothespins made it easy for the guests to take them down to look at them.

I have sold vests and they hang very nicely on the edges of the awning you will (most likely??) have to use. They sway in the breeze and attract attention.

You also asked about keeping the "line" of items the same. This has been successful for others, but that does not mean you can't make some cards and let people know you can and do make other things as well.

In business, just keep this in mind..."fast nickles are better than slow quarters". If you items are smaller, you save time and money making them, and the buyer saves money buying them.

Also, and this is just me, I like to sell things that are flat or can be for ease in shipping. You may not have to ship, but keep in mind, a lot of your customers will. Having a product you can put in a quilted envelope is a real selling point.

Good luck and do display what you are selling?? We would all love to see it!!

Poor But Proud

If you want a head shape blow up a balloon cover it with paper mache, several layers, let dry, let the air out of the balloon. Paint a face on or cover with a cloth. Watch second hand stores for stryrofoam wig stands also.

From personnal experience, too much variety confuses customers, stick with a couple of related items and have a nicer variety. Poor But Proud had great ideas about shipping and ease of handling your product.

Read More Answers...

September 27, 2011 Flag

What crafts are selling these days?

By Annie from NH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A lot will depend on the area you live. Not all things sell equally in all parts of the country. You could go to etsy.com and see what people are selling there.

Good advice. Also ebay and look at handmade or home made. I will help with that right now.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Handcrafted ... _catref=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m1538

If you lose the linc, simply go to ebay and put "crafts" in the both search fields, then "handcrafted finished pieces". Also, fabric squares sell well, granny not as well but you can always try.

If you live in a colder clime, crochet or sew items for smaller dogs, kids, or elderly citizens. Anything for pets and kids or helping people stay organized is a great way to start out. Keep your costs down and sell them for less than they might find them, if they can, at discount stores. The holidays are coming and ornaments sell well.

Good luck and let us know how you did?

January 30, 2008 Flag

Where do you sell handcrafted items? I need some ideas.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I agree with Lisa, Etsy.com is a better and cheap choice. They have a long term to show the product, up to six month for the same ammount and you can received a payments via paypal.

Etsy: Marketplace for handmade products. Buy and sell housewares, clothing, accessories, artwork, needlecraft, and much more.

www.etsy.com

Jmerinka7

Here are several places you can sell some handmades

that I found a link to here:

http://www.primitivecrossroads.com/online_auctions.htm

Please visit SILKFAIR ( http://www.silkfair.com ). We are a new online general goods marketplace, and will be offering a new dedicated indie site shortly. Products for sale at indie site will be listed in our main marketplace.

Currently, we offer free store / listings, and you'll be able to forward your own domain name and be supported by our system. In addition, we support full PayPal and GoogleCheckout integration.

You can test-drive our system in our sandbox, which is accessible from our home page at http://www.silkfair.com .

Read More Answers...

November 14, 2006 Flag

Are there any laws against selling crafts in front of your house? Like a table full of koolaid handbags?

giftsandbags.com from Miami

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would just go through the same procedures your city allows for garage sales. Post signs that say "Sale" instead of garage sale. I have seen many signs that just say "sale". Good Luck!

Better check with your city. Where I live, this would qualify as a yard sale. We are only allowed two per year and you have to buy a license to have one or you will be fined.

I would say how successful you would be would depend on your neighborhood. If it is high traffic you would probably do alright without advertising.

Read More Answers...

January 18, 2012 Flag

What is a good item that I can make to sell at yard sales?

By Debra

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A lot will depend on where you live. Go to some yard sales and see if they have homemade craft ideas and see if they are selling. Where I live homemade craft things just don't sell, even if they are marked dirt cheap. Your best bet might be to get a bunch of things made up and hit flea markets/ art in the park events. You do have to pay a registration fee to sell at these things and you also have to have your own display area to set up.

You can also consult Craigslist and click on Arts and Crafts. It's either going to be supplies or things people make. That will give you an idea of what is selling in your area.

If you belong to a group like at a church, book club, etc, then pick peoples brains and find out if anyone tried and made it or didn't and why.

For instance, I wanted to see if my granny squares would sell well, so I kept track of eBay's sellers. Most didn't sell. But, when I clicked on fabric squares, it was a hole other story. Now, I know what will most likely sell and what is perhaps a waste of time.

If you crochet, you might start out with something simple like scrubbies or dish cloths. These are simple and cheap to make. I wouldn't make a ton, but perhaps 1 of each of the colors of the crayon boxes...red, green, purple, etc. Advertise them on CL and see what happens.

I have found that people are not looking for crafts at yard sales any more than they would look for second hand stuff at a craft shop. The two don't tend to mix. That said, see if you and some of your friends can get together and have a small "craft sale". Does someone have a nice garage? Perhaps a spare room they would rent out? How about a pretty and big porch on a nice busy street? Advertise on CL and facebook, and see what sells. Maybe you can make something, another person can make something else, etc and then find out at the end of the day who's sold.

I can tell you from a small business stand point, that "fast nickles are better than slow quarters". If you make something that takes you 3 hours and cost 30.00 for materials, you will lose money if you sell it for less than 60.00-75.00 dollars.

But, if you make something that costs you .25 and you can make 30 of them in an hour, you can sell them for 1.00 and make a pretty good profit.

Another tip is to leave most of the Holidays alone. In other words, if you do only seasonal, you may be left in the dust with all the craft fairs etc that you find during the Holidays. But, if you pick things that are non seasonal, things that people would either need every day or want for occasions like for gifts and such, you have a wider variety.

Babies are everyday, and so are pets. Personalized items are popular.

I once crocheted a cell phone purse that can also hold id, money and such, for about .50 and it took me 1 hour. I sold it for 15.00 and I was sitting in front of my tv while I was doing it.

Do some research, find a niche and start small. I hope all this helps. Sandi/PBP

August 1, 2011 Flag

I am good in craft work; I produce some craft things, but I don't know what are the best ways to sell my product. Can someone please give me some ideas?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Crafts Selling CraftsFebruary 10, 2013
Glass Block
Selling Glass Block Crafts
Online Shopping
Selling Crafts Online
eBay Logo
Selling On eBay
pink and white bag rug
Selling Recycled Bag Rugs
🎉
🎄