Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Tips for Selling Crafts

0 0EmailFollow
Tips for Selling Crafts

If you enjoy crafting, you may be considering trying to sell some of your creations. This is a guide about tips for selling crafts.

Solutions: Tips for Selling Crafts

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Use Onion Bag to Package Crafts

Photo of  Packaging TipSave colored onion bag netting for small items. If the bag is open ended, simply tie a knot in one end; fill, allowing approximately 6 inch excess; and cut off remainder.

Prepare a label or gift card on your computer, print, and glue to cardboard (it can be a circle, heart, animal shape, etc.). This card will be folded in half, so print accordingly. After folding card in half, use a hole punch to place one hole in the center (if hole punch won't reach, then fold card and punch on edge).

Open card, twist netting, and run the open end through the hole in the card (so it will be on the inside of the folded card). Twist netting again and tie a loose knot. Cut off any excess netting. Fold the card and use one staple to close. This would be great for craft shows or gifts.

By Ann from Mineola, TX

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Tips for Selling Crafts.

Question: Best Selling Crafts

What crafts are selling these days?

By Annie from NH

Most Recent Answer

By Sandi [391]09/28/2011

Good advice. Also ebay and look at handmade or home made. I will help with that right now.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Handcrafted ... _catref=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m1538

If you lose the linc, simply go to ebay and put "crafts" in the both search fields, then "handcrafted finished pieces". Also, fabric squares sell well, granny not as well but you can always try.

If you live in a colder clime, crochet or sew items for smaller dogs, kids, or elderly citizens. Anything for pets and kids or helping people stay organized is a great way to start out. Keep your costs down and sell them for less than they might find them, if they can, at discount stores. The holidays are coming and ornaments sell well.

Good luck and let us know how you did?

Question: Selling Crafts

Any ideas how to promote my hand crocheted items? I've been doing craft shows and I have a site on Etsy.com. It's notjusthats.etsy.com. I've put a lot of time and money into this, but I'm not seeing the rewards. Maybe I'm being a bit impatient, but it's been about 3 months now. Any suggestions how to get my name out there?

By Sheila from Burlington, NJ

Best Answers

By Trudy [19]03/25/2010

Have you tried selling them in a yard sale or have a stand at a local flea market?

Best Answers

By Karen, East Hampton Ct (Guest Post)01/28/2007

Hi Sandy; Have you tried visiting small shops (ie. florists, spas, boutiques) any store that would compliment your craft and ask to display them on consignment? They have nothing to lose and everything to gain if they sell. You can also make a brochure with pictures of your crafts with contact information; and then of course there are the craft fairs and ebay. Good Luck to you!

Best Answers

By Harlean from Arkansas [125]01/26/2007

I was an eBay seller for several years, and I could sell yard sale finds, small collectibles, clothing items,etc. but had no luck whatsoever in selling my crafts. If you sell them on eBay, you have to be willing to sell them at about 1/3 the price that you can get at a craft show. As a matter of fact, the last craft item that I advertised on eBay was Panoramic Sugar Eggs for Easter. They are large hollow eggs molded from sugar with a peephole in the end and a small figure inside. I started the bid at $4.00 and never got a bid. Craft shows, in my opinion, are the best outlet. And it is a good idea to visit the show and see what kind of attendance they have, take notice of how many people are carrying packages, speak with some of the vendors and ask a few questions before you reserve a space. Another outlet is some areas would be the Farmer's Markets. They primarily sell fresh vegetables, but many also invite you to sell handicraft items. Or another option might be to display your wares in an area that has traffic flow. Perhaps you can find a small business owner who will allow you to set up on the corner of his parking lot. You may have to pay a small fee to interest him, and you will have to check the local laws, because in some cities, you will need a peddler's permit. Depending on what type of crafts you do, you might display them in the beauty shop where you have your hair done. Small items suitable for baby gifts, shower, or wedding gifts would be appropriate. Flea markets and yard sales usually don't work out. People are looking for inexpensive bargains here, and you cannot get a fair price for your goods. I have been crafting for 40 years, and hope some of these tips are helpful to anyone wanting to get started. Many of the patterns that I have submitted to Thrifty Fun are things that I have made and sold at craft shows over the years.
Harlean from Arkansas

Question: Selling Heat and Cold Packs for Charity Fundraising

If you were making them to sell for a charity, how much would you ask for them? How much do they sell for?

By Brenda

Best Answer

By gem [149]02/15/2014

Depends on the size. If you make the mask ones for headache $5.00, then go up a couple dollars for each one until you get to the big ones. I sell big ones for $15.00 to $20.00. Make sure you have information to send with them for use. Hype it up like it is a new idea or breakthrough and you will sell more.

Question: Selling Crafts

I have a variety of craft items to sell, but not necessarily a large quantity and want to sell them as best as I can. Please advise. Thank you. Marian

Most Recent Answer

By Sandi [391]04/29/2013

If you know someone who has a craft website, you might be able to take some really good photos of your things and offer them 10% for their time.

Go to www.etsy.com and set up an account. It's very easy to work with them and they only take .20 each item, etc.

Look for local church bazaars or community markets that you can share a booth with someone.

And finally, advertise that you are selling crafts/supplies at a yard sale.

Good luck!

Question: Making Money from Crafting

I lost my job last year and haven't had any luck finding something else. I have recently had access to unlimited material in very old ratty looking clothing. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I can make from this recycled material to make money, at least for all of my medications? Thank you for your input.

By Karen

Most Recent Answer

By Sandi [391]01/29/2013

If you are going to use "old ratty clothing" this might be the last time you call it that. Then, wash some of it and see how it looks pressed. Then, yank on it pretty hard and see if it holds up to any stress. If it passes the test, you might be able to hot glue it into strips and make some hot pads out of it.

You can advertise them as "Re Purposed on Purpose" or "The Clothes Bin" as a way to let others know this is from clothing. Or, if you are craft challenged, you may want to launder it, cut out the seams and such, press it, cut it into squares for quilts and just sell it that way.

Here is a really good site to try out. Click on the image option and you will see hundreds of images on what to do with scrap fabric.
Good luck!

https://www.google.com/search?q=scr ... 0CAcQ_AUoAA&biw=1024&bih=677

Question: Best Selling Craft Ideas

What is a good item that I can make to sell at yard sales?

By Debra

Most Recent Answer

By Sandi [391]01/23/2012

You can also consult Craigslist and click on Arts and Crafts. It's either going to be supplies or things people make. That will give you an idea of what is selling in your area.

If you belong to a group like at a church, book club, etc, then pick peoples brains and find out if anyone tried and made it or didn't and why.

For instance, I wanted to see if my granny squares would sell well, so I kept track of eBay's sellers. Most didn't sell. But, when I clicked on fabric squares, it was a hole other story. Now, I know what will most likely sell and what is perhaps a waste of time.

If you crochet, you might start out with something simple like scrubbies or dish cloths. These are simple and cheap to make. I wouldn't make a ton, but perhaps 1 of each of the colors of the crayon boxes...red, green, purple, etc. Advertise them on CL and see what happens.

I have found that people are not looking for crafts at yard sales any more than they would look for second hand stuff at a craft shop. The two don't tend to mix. That said, see if you and some of your friends can get together and have a small "craft sale". Does someone have a nice garage? Perhaps a spare room they would rent out? How about a pretty and big porch on a nice busy street? Advertise on CL and facebook, and see what sells. Maybe you can make something, another person can make something else, etc and then find out at the end of the day who's sold.

I can tell you from a small business stand point, that "fast nickles are better than slow quarters". If you make something that takes you 3 hours and cost 30.00 for materials, you will lose money if you sell it for less than 60.00-75.00 dollars.
But, if you make something that costs you .25 and you can make 30 of them in an hour, you can sell them for 1.00 and make a pretty good profit.

Another tip is to leave most of the Holidays alone. In other words, if you do only seasonal, you may be left in the dust with all the craft fairs etc that you find during the Holidays. But, if you pick things that are non seasonal, things that people would either need every day or want for occasions like for gifts and such, you have a wider variety.
Babies are everyday, and so are pets. Personalized items are popular.

I once crocheted a cell phone purse that can also hold id, money and such, for about .50 and it took me 1 hour. I sold it for 15.00 and I was sitting in front of my tv while I was doing it.

Do some research, find a niche and start small. I hope all this helps. Sandi/PBP

RE: Best Selling Craft Ideas

Question: Ideas for Selling Crafts

I am good in craft work; I produce some craft things, but I don't know what are the best ways to sell my product. Can someone please give me some ideas?

By Kalidas from Coimbatore, Tamilnadu

Most Recent Answer

By Marty [4]08/03/2011

I agree with By If you check on ebay you will find a lot of baby products that are hand made and really cute. One seller actually has patterns for sale if needed. They have made so many more things that weren't available two years ago. I'd check it out and then use your imagination. I've also seen jewelery that is hand made. Just check out crafts on ebay and see if anything is interesting. All types of organizations have craft shows and rent out tables if you'd rather stay local, or see if you can post items for sale in local stores.

Question: How Do I Display Children's Aprons at a Craft Market?

I'm looking for a way to display children's aprons and chef hats at my local market day. I looked into buying a mannequin, but they are very expensive. Is it possible to make one? I plan one having my daughters modeling them. I just don't know how to hang or display what I have for sale. Thanks in advance.

By Kristina from south TX

Most Recent Answer

By Ann Winberg [282]05/06/2010

If you want a head shape blow up a balloon cover it with paper mache, several layers, let dry, let the air out of the balloon. Paint a face on or cover with a cloth. Watch second hand stores for stryrofoam wig stands also.

From personnal experience, too much variety confuses customers, stick with a couple of related items and have a nicer variety. Poor But Proud had great ideas about shipping and ease of handling your product.

Question: Where Can I Sell Handcrafted Items?

Where do you sell handcrafted items? I need some ideas.

Most Recent Answer

By SILKFAIR (Guest Post)03/07/2008

Please visit SILKFAIR ( http://www.silkfair.com ). We are a new online general goods marketplace, and will be offering a new dedicated indie site shortly. Products for sale at indie site will be listed in our main marketplace.

Currently, we offer free store / listings, and you'll be able to forward your own domain name and be supported by our system. In addition, we support full PayPal and GoogleCheckout integration.

You can test-drive our system in our sandbox, which is accessible from our home page at http://www.silkfair.com .

Question: Selling Crafts in Front of Your House

Are there any laws against selling crafts in front of your house? Like a table full of koolaid handbags?

giftsandbags.com from Miami

Most Recent Answer

By Joan [13]08/23/2009

I would say how successful you would be would depend on your neighborhood. If it is high traffic you would probably do alright without advertising.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Selling Crafts

What's the best way to sell my handmade crafts?

Sandy from Bluff City, TN

RE: Selling Crafts

Visit eBay. You can sell anything on there and handmade, one of a kind crafts are hotcakes. Good luck. (01/25/2007)

By smcarney

RE: Selling Crafts

Try estsy.com. Of course, you can also sell them at local craft shows. (01/26/2007)

By Jean

RE: Selling Crafts

I don't know what the best way is, but there's several ways you can try. Ebay is a good choice of course, then you can do craft fairs. Also, seek out gift shops or even a gift shop at a local hospital. Some shops do consignment so that's something to consider. What kinds of crafts do you do? (01/26/2007)

By Debbie52

RE: Selling Crafts

I was an eBay seller for several years, and I could sell yard sale finds, small collectibles, clothing items, etc., but had no luck whatsoever in selling my crafts. If you sell them on eBay, you have to be willing to sell them at about 1/3 the price that you can get at a craft show. As a matter of fact, the last craft item that I advertised on eBay was Panoramic Sugar Eggs for Easter. They are large hollow eggs molded from sugar with a peephole in the end and a small figure inside. I started the bid at $4.00 and never got a bid.

Craft shows, in my opinion, are the best outlet. And it is a good idea to visit the show and see what kind of attendance they have, take notice of how many people are carrying packages, speak with some of the vendors and ask a few questions before you reserve a space. Another outlet is some areas would be the Farmer's Markets. They primarily sell fresh vegetables, but many also invite you to sell handicraft items. Or another option might be to display your wares in an area that has traffic flow.

Perhaps you can find a small business owner who will allow you to set up on the corner of his parking lot. You may have to pay a small fee to interest him, and you will have to check the local laws, because in some cities, you will need a peddler's permit. Depending on what type of crafts you do, you might display them in the beauty shop where you have your hair done. Small items suitable for baby gifts, showers, or wedding gifts would be appropriate.

Flea markets and yard sales usually don't work out. People are looking for inexpensive bargains here, and you cannot get a fair price for your goods. I have been crafting for 40 years, and hope some of these tips are helpful to anyone wanting to get started. Many of the patterns that I have submitted to Thrifty Fun are things that I have made and sold at craft shows over the years. Harlean from Arkansas (01/26/2007)

By Harlean from AR

RE: Selling Crafts

I have a local store and my advice would be, "word of mouth". I do agree that if it is homemade people shopping for regular items just don't want to cut loose with the money. They will if it's word of mouth, or in a gift store. My friend sells pecans and gets $2.00 for my hand painted letter openers in her gift shop, but I sell them in my store and can only get a dollar, go figure. Also, if it is a useful item you might want to try the local auction if you have one. Hope this helps. (01/27/2007)

By DeniseW

RE: Selling Crafts

www.etsy.com is the best place on the internet to sell craft goods. You can also get customers through www.craftster.org by posting your wares and getting feedback.

I find it is great to use the items you sell and have business cards on hand for when people ask about the item. If you go to craft shows make sure your items are reasonably priced and that you have plenty of stock. You'll find that most of your business will build up by word of mouth. And if you want to sell your item try to make something that hasn't been made yet, or change something so it will be needed.

You'll find items won't sell if people can just get them anywhere. I find my crafty items sell really high on eBay. There is a woman who sells crocheted scarves of food items, and she makes an absolute fortune on eBay selling them. ($400 USD for a scarf of cupcakes). It's all about making something that people want enough to pay for it. Just my thoughts. (01/27/2007)

By Alicia

RE: Selling Crafts

If you have enough, attend craft shows. Setting up a booth is a job at first, but once you do it a couple of times you fine tune it and it becomes much easier. I always enjoy the socialization at the shows myself. The fees for the booths vary.

You can also sell them through existing internet businesses to dropship. This is where you agree on a price with the business, they then advertise and list your item at a price that they will make a dollar or two. When it sells, they notify you, pay you the agreed upon price and you ship the item to the customer. It works out well, too. You only have the responsibility of photographing the items and describing them and then shipping them to the purchaser. A lot of work at home moms, like our business, do this type of transaction. You might want to check out yahoo groups for WAHM's. Hope this helps. Cheryl (01/28/2007)

By hvnlyhills

Archive: Selling Crafts

Has anyone had any luck with selling your home-made crafts? I am looking for a way to make extra income.

By suzieq71 from Horton, AL

RE: Selling Crafts

Do you have any places close to you where they have events that would be complementary to your crafts. Okay like the city I live in is Quilt City, USA and a lot of people set up booths when quilt week is here. People come from all over the world for this week, so people set up booths to sell they homemade items and do a really good business at it. (05/20/2009)

By micksgirl

RE: Selling Crafts

My aunt and I wanted to sell our crafty makes also. What we do is we have a monthly "yard sale" and put our things out. People love buying one of a kind, homemade things, specially if they're useful and don't look homemade at all. (08/02/2009)

By keiry06