Tips for a Frugal Lifestyle

How to save money on everything? I consider myself frugal in some areas. But I'm looking to save even more money on everything in general. I want to be able to live more within my means, use what I have for other things I might need, learn how to cook healthy low costing meals, have fun without spending tons of money on going out to the movies, concerts, etc.

Do any of you have any useful tips that has saved you money? Any good websites, books I could read? Please do share. I'm wanting to truly live more of a frugal lifestyle.

By ChildGoddess from Thunder Bay, Ontario

Tips for a Frugal Lifestyle

I used to read many blogs included on the list below. After a while you start to hear the same things over and over so I stopped subscribing. But it never hurts to revisit and refresh the ideas in your head every now and then.

Also many of the money blogs deal with frugality. I like the Simple Dollar blog listed there and a few others.

You might also want to check out some blogs on "simple living":

Also, on specific things you might want to know just go to and put in things like:

• how to have fun without spending a lot of money
  • how to save money on groceries
  • how to save money on laundry
  • how to lower your heating costs
  • how to lower your cable bill
  • how to make your own cleaning supplies
  • how to reuse...
  • alternatives uses for..., etc.

and you will find tons of reading material. Always consider the source of info. Many sites are just trying to sell you something. You might want to put the inquiries in at google "blog" search too besides the web search.

By Kaelle

Tips for a Frugal Lifestyle

One thing that will help save money is using your clothes dryer as little as possible. Especially in the winter, when indoor air is so dry, hanging washed clothes on drying racks helps to add some humidity to the air, while you save on electricity you would normally have used by putting clothes in the dryer.

Whenever possible, cook in a microwave or toaster oven. Heating up the full-sized oven wastes electricity/gas.

Dilute shampoo with water. It works just as well, and you can cut your shampoo usage by half.

Go to your local library for entertainment! Check out books, music, and DVDs, so you don't need to purchase them.

Kaelle's suggestions are excellent, and I would add some of my favorite web links to the list:

Google "frugal living", and you'll get loads of results. (01/31/2010)

By WildIrish

Tips for a Frugal Lifestyle

Buy a tent. Seriously! For the price of a movie and popcorn and soda for two, you and your entire family can discover a world of wonder for the price of a campsite. Contact your state (and nearby states') website for parks and recreation and they will send you a list of state parks, amenities at each, cabins if available, and you can also request a pamphlet for festivals near you; there's one almost every weekend, and they are a lot cheaper than an amusement park.

One year, we spent about $600.00 in one day taking our kids to Six Flags over GA. Later, our family had a reunion at an old creek near where a church used to be, complete with old creaky plank diving board and rope dangling from a tree.

Next year, we saved and saved and asked the kids where they thought we should spend our vacation, and suggested Six Flags again. Their unanimous choice? Bluff Creek! (02/03/2010)

By dollyslaffn

Tips for a Frugal Lifestyle

Here's a couple I like: the dollar stretcher web site is, another is, (02/03/2010)

By suzin

Tips for a Frugal Lifestyle

And be sure to visit all the ThriftyFun archives ;-) There is such a wealth of information here and for all the topics you mention :-) Just click on "find" in the orange bar at the top of this page and type in what you would specifically like to know about :-) (02/03/2010)

By Deeli

Tips for a Frugal Lifestyle

Try or just google "frugal" and you will get a ton of good sites. Also, my favorite tip I learned lately is to use your old dryer sheets for taking off your nail polish instead of buying cotton balls. It works and you get more than one use from the dryer sheet. (02/04/2010)

By Cindy S.

Tips for a Frugal Lifestyle

Here is my favorite source of frugal tips, our "My Frugal Life" essays. These are written by our members and are all the ways that they live frugally. Take a look! (02/04/2010)

By jess

Tips for a Frugal Lifestyle

Websites I found that are awesome to help save money are and

Recipe key gets you to build an online pantry and then pulls recipes for items you already have on hand. 5 dollar dinners is also good for quick inexpensive recipes. These websites have cut my grocery bill by 1/2.

Annette (02/05/2010)

By neter

Tips for a Frugal Lifestyle

I forgot to add The Tightwad Gazette books there are 3 or 4 and can be purchased cheaply on They have recipes and frugal living tips that are awesome. I reread mine every couple of years!

Annette (02/05/2010)

By neter

Tips for a Frugal Lifestyle

The complete Tightwad Gazette (all 3 tightwad books in one edition) also a book by Jeff Yeager-forgot the name, but I think the word "skinflint" may be in the title, are all very good. Also, I make liquid laundry detergent (check the duggar family website). There are recipes for dry or liquid and it cost probably under 2 dollars to make 10 gallons and it really works and smells good.

Make a week's worth or a month's worth of dinners and freeze, if dinner is ready you are less likely to stop for fast food when you are too tired to cook. My list could go on and on. My husband says I should write a book, what do you think? (02/07/2010)

By crazy amy

Tips for a Frugal Lifestyle

My gosh, such good answers. Yes, I'm a frugal homemaker who's been saving money using various money saving techniques or many years.

You'll be surprised how much money you can save just by making some simple adjustments around your residence; especially with regard to home repairs and energy. Denise

By tdls17

Putting Money in Change Purse
Living a Frugal Lifestyle
organized pantry
Being Frugal and Organized
Photo of a lady yelling at a driver.
Avoiding Road Rage
A young child counting coins.
Teaching Your Kids About Frugal Living
Frugal Living Advice
Frugal Living Advice