Developing a Frugal Lifestyle

Did you know that a frugal lifestyle can become a way of life that allows more time for relaxation, less stress over money, and daily expenses in general? Budget, organize your home, reuse and recycle. This is a page about developing a frugal lifestyle.

Hello again, I am back to let you know what I have been up to lately to try and save some pennies - after all, in the UK we say "look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves". Well I have been at my new job (after being made redundant) for 4 months now and I have had my days reduced to 3 days a week from 5. I am not a happy bunny but as the job is pants, its forcing me to look for something else, which is good. But jobs are difficult to come by, so extra determination will be required.

I've been using my breadmaker every day and brown bagging lunches for darling husband (DH) and me. When I go out, my choice of refreshment is a bottle of water and quosh for db. We have stopped going out for the occasional beer and meal (saving us £25pw) and using our garden more to eat our meal in, as the summer is so good this year in the UK. Instead of going out with all my mates as a group twice a month, I only go once with one of them. Saves me shedloads. My friends are coming round for home made pizza next week, and someone is bring the starter, another the pudding. Seems it's more fun this way! That's what everyone tells me!

I recently broke a bench in the garden, so I flipped it over and saw it only needed a support piece of wood, easy peasy! I am going to have a go at getting that mended. I have the three screws, the shape of the wood and will try and cut this myself. I am busy painting the benches for my garden, as dh and myself like to sit and watch the wildlife. Have now lagged all my heating pipes indoors, new heating jacket on the hot water cylinder to keep hot water hot, installed the heat reflector plates behind the radiators so heat is pushed back into the room, and also installed the chimney balloon so none of the heat is lost up our chimney, as it is not in use anymore. My third watebutt is being installed by dh, and we should be self sufficient in watering the garden. These items were very kindly supplied by my local council to help make your house greener and cheaper to run.

I have two bags of old clothes waiting to go the the thrift store, but I will look through them again and see if I can reutilize them. I am thinking of rug making and possible card making. The yogurt making is going well, and cooking from scratch? I have been doing this all my life. I recently met a girl in the UK who spent nearly £1600 having her hair, nails, and beauty treatment per year. So far this year, I have spent £12 on one haircut and I do my own trims. I guess you could say that I have a low maintenance hair style!

We're coming to the end of our frozen apples, blackberries, loganberries etc. The apples came from our neighbours trees which I picked as they didn't want them, and the berries grew wild, so foraging is free. I have now found walnut and cherry trees for foraging, and cherries will be ready soon. Yippee! The sloes are looking to be a bumper crop this year so a large store of sloe gin will be waiting to be enjoyed, another foraging delight. I can't be perfect in all aspects of frugal living, I admit to ordering a new book on amazon last night although it was half price and free delivery - my one fall down, books. Yes, I belong to the library, what would I do without it, and I also get my books from charity/thrift shops, but occasionally, the smell, feel, and look of a new reading book is a crave I have to supplement.

Well time for me to close now. I could go on and on, but I will leave it till my next post. Take care, good bye and smile, cos the world smiles back at a smiler. M

By meshelle from Haverhill, Suffolk

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

2 More Solutions

I used to think that frugal living centered around clipping coupons and buying items on sale. I have come to realize that frugal living is a lifestyle that can be developed by adopting specific money-saving habits. Getting and staying organized can be the foundation upon which the many other frugal living habits such as simplifying, scheduling and budgeting, can be successfully implemented.

A pantry full of cans of food.

I am frugal and learning every day. I budget every cent I have on pen and paper. When I spend it, I keep my receipt and log in down. I pay a little more on each bill as often as possible.

Two shirts on sale.

Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeDecember 7, 2018
😷
🍂
🎄
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Developing-a-Frugal-Lifestyle.html