Having A Frugal Mindset

Enjoy being satisfied and content. Life is so much more comfortable when you stay within your budget and you are aware of the difference between what you need and what you want. This is a page about having a frugal mindset.

Being frugal is definitely a mindset whether it is a decision made by economic necessity or concern for planet Earth and its inhabitants. My frugality is a bit of both.

Being divorced and disabled with a part-time job left me with minimal income and two mouths besides my own to feed. Not to mention to pets we have that deserve decent care. So for 2010, I made a decision that if I am not making money any particular day, I will be finding ways to save $$$. Looking for ways to make my own kitty litter is how I stumbled across ThriftyFun.com.

Not only have I gained so much information of money saving measures, I have also discovered ways to work smarter and faster. I subscribe to the email newsletters and find them a great resource for new ideas. This year we started a tradition of having Banana Splits on Valentines Day, thanks to another member.

We are all in this together so being able to give advice/feedback to someone in need is a small, but very positive way of making the world a better place.

Thanks Thrifty Fun and thank you to all who post here.

Ann from Saint Peters, MO

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: My Frugal Life Essay Contest

I enjoy reading the articles on ThriftyFun and have picked up many, many tips to help make my life easier and less expensive. I'm amazed sometimes at the ideas that are shared and are so easy to do.

The greatest tip of all I think and I'd like to share it, is mindset (attitude). I don't just think of ways and means to save a few pennies, I live it. When I shop I think "do I need it or want it?", "can I get this cheaper somewhere else?", "is this worth an hour's pay?", "will buying this interfere with my budget?", "what if anything do I have to forego if I buy this item?", etc. Fairly regularly, I wonder "do I even need to go shopping or can I somehow make do?"

I shop at thrift stores and always check out the reduced table at the grocery store. I'm resourceful and find alternate uses for things; I don't throw away good stuff because it doesn't interest me anymore or it's in the way; friends and I sometimes trade clothes or household items; I don't buy anything on a whim; I practice the money savings tips I've learned from others including here on ThriftyFun. Being otherwise would be like leaving the water tap running for no reason.

I'm a practical person by nature; however, I know that once in a while I need to be practical and spoil myself with a tidbit. It keeps me from becoming a boring tightwad and thats being thrifty too. I'm investing in myself. Occasionally I'll treat myself to a finer cut of meat or I'll pay the extra (as long as it's not exorbitant) price for something I really, really like or could use.

I enjoy being satisfied and content; life is so much more comfortable when I don't impose financial worry on myself. That would be like hitting myself on the foot with a hammer just because I can do it. Where's the good sense in that? I have strong morals when it comes to my character and those I associate with and I extend that to what I call my money morals. I don't steal from myself by being frivolous and unreliable. I'm my own biggest asset.

With this all said, I don't mean to come across as being a know-it-all by any means. I'm simply sharing what I think to be as my thrifty tip ... invest in yourself first and foremost and the rest will all fall in place. It won't always be easy or fun; prudence needs to be exercised every single day in little ways over a long time; but the return is tremendous and feels so good.

Better Living Frugal Living AdviceDecember 28, 2018
🎂
🌻
🎃