Frugal Ways To Save

There are so many creative ways to be thrifty and save time, resources, and money. This guide contains frugal ways to save.

I started reading about frugal living about 9 years ago. My main reason was to save us money for my husband and I who were living on our own for the first time. Now we just bought our first house (2 months ago) so I'm trying to learn even more about frugal living. Here are some things that I do to save money.

There are so many ways to save, you just have to start looking and see what is good for you. There are things I plan to do to save in the future like putting up a clothes line in our yard and planting my first food garden (I hope, I am not a green thumb here). I will learn new ways to help us save more money now that we have our own place. During the years, these ideas have saved us money and I hope this helps someone else!

Tonya from Illinois

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Every year I try to do a few more things to live more frugal and eco-friendly. In 2010, when we moved, we did not get a dryer. My Frugal LifeWe use the lines in the backyard or hang inside. We have not used any paper napkins or paper towels and do not drink soda pop. I use a woman-power (not gas) push mower.

During the garden off-season, we stretch our salsa by mixing it with a can of tomatoes and chiles. This new year, we will be making our own shampoos, laundry detergent, and household cleaners.

The craziest thing we've done is save all our dryer lint to use for crafts. We look forward to many more zany ways to save and live better.

By Bonnie from Waynesboro, PA

Here are some frugal ideas, we use in our home.

Always buy used when we can. We visit many garage sales, thrift shops and online resources like eBay. Just keep a "need" list in your car or purse for when your out and about hitting yard sales.

Repurpose just as much stuff as you can. For instance, maybe that ugly old dresser you have in your basement would make a nice coffee table. Simply cut it down to the proper height leaving (usually) the last drawer in place then adding a nice top, trim it out and you have a coffee table. I have a really nice one that receives many compliments to its unique look.

Trash pick old wood pieces of furniture and you'd be surprised what some Old English, paint or stain can do. Resell for profit in your yard/garage sale.

Turn the heat down and put on more clothing in the winter for noticeable savings on your heat bill.

Install a wood burning stove in your home and use as your primary heat. Wood is far less expensive compared to natural gas and propane and you can find free wood on Freecycle http://www.freecycle.org Join the group(s) in your local areas.

Cook in bulk eating leftovers and freezing meals for later use. I will make a big breakfast one day sometimes consisting of homemade biscuits, gravy, sausage and scrambled eggs. I will make extra sausage and scrambled eggs and save for the next day and I will make breakfast burritos with eggs, sausage, and cheese. So yummy.

Give your pets their shots. You can get everything except rabies for HUGE savings. Advantage flea preventive for dogs, the blue one for dogs 55 pounds can be broken down into 10 cat doses. You'd give .4 ml per cat. NOTE: the point before the 4. You can also split the larger dose between 2 smaller 27 pound dogs.

Don't replace your worn wiper blades yet. Just take a piece of fine grit sandpaper and run it on the edge of the blade about 10 times and the blades will be as good as new.

By Maryann Welden from Camden, MI. USA