Living a Frugal and Organized Life

One key to sustaining a frugal lifestyle is being organized and staying on track. This is a guide about being frugal and organized.

I have always been frugal. I am even more frugal as I get older and the economy has forced me to be more frugal, to stretch the almighty dollar. I access web sites, use coupons, go to clothes/food giveaways all in the effort to pay my bills and saving as much money as I can. Sometime it is a struggle. But in the end it is worth it.

The corner stone to my keeping me on track is organization. I have it down to a very manageable system. There are some days when things fall behind, but for the most part, it works, at least for me. Let me break down my schedule for you.

Sunday

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Now this schedule can change due to emergencies, appointments,outings or I am just to tire to move. There are times when I will tweak this schedule to fit my needs, but basically, this is it. It keeps me on my toes and lets everyone else know what to expect. Easy as pie.

By Georgetta Ruth from Waterloo, IA

Many people are overwhelmed with the thought of organizing their home let alone one specific area. A great "workplace" organization methodology you can follow in the home is called "5S", originally employed in Japanese manufacturing plants.

Loosely translated to English, the 5S model is as follows:

There are many sources of information on the internet for "5S" or maybe even in the mind of your spouse who has been involved in "5S events" at work.

Beyond 5S, simply avoid purchasing "stuff" that truly is not needed by you or your family. Start by understanding "wants" vs "needs". "Stuff" does not define us; it is the things we do and the lives we impact that defines us.

By Lean Machine from Cleveland, OH

A place for everything and everything in it's place helps my busy life run much smoother and it saves money too!

Financial Information

Organize a binder that contains all your important papers including investment statements, insurance (life, health, homeowners, auto, etc.), credit card, bank accounts, etc.

When new statements arive, replace the old and shred. In the event of a fire, natural disaster just pickup the binder and GO! If there is an unexpected death, theft of a wallet, accident or other tragedy you'll have all policy numbers and phone numbers at your finger tips. This will hasten the payments due to you in your time of need and give you great piece of mind. Include copies of your prescriptions too!

Bill Paying

Cooking List

Make Lists

And the most important . . .

This may seem a bit compulsive to you but I didn't start all these lists at the same time. Select the ONE that will simplify your life and give it a shot! You'll be glad you did

By Diana from Prospect, KY

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

A change in housing and finances can trigger the need to find creative storage space in a much smaller home or apartment. It is amazing the solutions that present themselves. This is a guide about becoming the frugal organizer.

A woman holding a pink piggy bank.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

If you have a frugal buddy (I have one who lives near a great independent dollar store.) - have them look out for new and interesting arrivals (and do the same for them, of course). . .