The Frugal Organizer

Category Storage
A change in housing and finances can trigger the need to find creative storage space in a much smaller home or apartment. It is amazing the solutions that present themselves. This is a guide about becoming the frugal organizer.

Being separated from my husband brought on many financial challenges. First, I had to find a place to live that I could afford. The apartment I found was very small but nice. The problem was I had so much craft "stuff", I didn't have room for everything. I couldn't afford a storage space so I became obsessed in finding places to hide things.

I had to decide what to keep and what to purge. I couldn't fathom getting rid of my clear glass ornaments, my beads, my tiny little embellishments, etc. Suddenly the light bulb came on! Since the ornament holder takes up space, why couldn't I fill those ornaments with "stuff" I had to keep? I started filling the clear glass ornaments with the smallest beads. It not only provided a place to store my beads, but I also came up with ideas of other things I could keep in them. The plastic ornament boxes slide under my bed nicely! When I get ready to use the ornament, I will simply find another creative place to store them. Ta Da!

I too live in a tiny apt. and recently decided that 540.00 a year was too much to spend on storage. I gave a lot away to my complex's "donation station" and to date am 27 boxes down from when I moved in.
I am a crafter as well and it is a challenge to find places. Here are some ideas you might try.

Medicine bottles are epic for every thing from needles and pins to buttons and beads.
When I find them second hand I get the little drawer units.
Shoe stores will often give you boxes you can label.
Another great ides is hanging shoe rack over the door and you can even get them clear at the dollar store so you can see what is inside.

Zip baggies are cheap and can be tossed into a "like" box so you know what's in the box and just have to go through little baggies. They also make them up to 2.5 gallon size you can binder clip to a hanger and see what's there.
You can also get the vacuum bags at the dollar stores for bulky things you need to store.

I hope those help. PBP

Actually, I did what you did, but I used color themes and sealed the caps with glue, added a hanger and gave them as gifts last Christmas. I am trying to use and purge in my craft area, so this was a step in right direction. I made two and still have clear ornaments to use.

As an avid crafter, I can empathize. Perhaps check with your landlord and offer to fix holes in the walls before you move ... putting up shelves above doors and windows is remarkably inexpensive (plain brackets at the hardware store, simple planks which the hardware fellows will cut to your specifications). Check various local dollar stores for front-opening stacking bins (terrific for yarn and crochet cotton: see the colours at a glance). Clear food containers, when empty (glass or plastic) look terrific on shelves when filled with colourful craft supplies (threads, sewing notions, beads, jewellery findings) and small plastic trays (with sides, again, from the dollar store) are ideal for projects in progress.