Training Puppy Not To Chew On Everything

We have adopted a 1 year old American Bulldog who is constantly chewing up everything! Can you please help me with some training tips?

Tracy from Westland, MI

Answers:

Give him lots of toys he can chew on. Every time you see him chewing on something he's not supposed to, give him a firm "no" and hand him one of his chew toys. (06/05/2008)

He is at the age he should start outgrowing it soon. You might want to get a clicker or just click w/your tongue. Any time he is chewing something you don't want him to. Click, say "leave it" and give him a reward for doing so. It has to be a positive loud noise. I went through it twice and I lost a lot of things, but now I can barely remember the things. Some people crate their dogs when they aren't home, but I think it's cruel. How could anyone be in a small confined space all day without going nuts? Dogs are the same. It wouldn't be unfair to gate him in the kitchen to reduce his destructiveness as long as he has the necessary water. (06/09/2008)

By Me

I put a very thin coat of Vicks Vapor Rub on the wooden corners of my couch which are now rounded because of chewing and hid in the doorway. My new pup jumped on the couch and took one bite of the corner and had the most surprised look on his face! Tried another corner with the same result. Hasn't chewed on anything since. Also used Vicks on the adhesive tape covering an injury with the same results. (06/09/2008)

By JoanDogs

RE: Training Puppy Not To Chew On Everything

Keep him confined in a pet carrier, large crate, or a room that he can't chew anything up in unless you are supervising him. Treat him like a 2 year old. You have to teach him what is good to play with and chew on and what he shouldn't. If you leave him unattended in the living room for even 10 minutes there is no telling what he can chew up. Keep up a baby gate so he is only in the room you are in so you have a constant eye on him. (06/09/2008)

By junebug_000

House Training a Pit Bull
House Training a Pit Bull Puppy
A dog in a crate
Dealing With a Dog That Chews
Puppy Chewing on Boot
Preventing Puppies From Chewing
Pit Bull Puppy
Training a Pit Bull Puppy
🎄