House Training a Yorkie Puppy

House training a puppy is a necessary and sometimes trying part of pet ownership. The successful completion of this training is well worth the time invested. This is a guide about house training a Yorkie puppy.

My six month old male Yorkie isn't having problems peeing in the house. He goes outside for that. He even holds his urine all night from 10pm until 6:30 am. I take him out frequently because he doesn't let me know he needs to go out. I've moved him into another room and I think he doesn't like that and he pooped twice inside. I do reward him with a treat when we come from outside. I don't allow him to be to free inside. How can I teach how to let me know when he needs to go outside?

By Cynthia

Answers

Best Answer

I'm no expert but was talking to an owner of a young dog about potty training. She said she attached bells to the door; each time she took the pup out to go potty, the door "bells" would ring. It took once or twice to teach the dog to move the bells to ring when he wanted to go outside to potty and that's what he does now to let her know to let him out.

My son moved home and brought along his 1 year old female Yorkie/Chihuahua; she's mixed. She was never house trained before. I have a 4 year old well trained female Yorkie and I am having a horrible time training the Chihuahua. She peed all over my other son's bed and pees and poos every where in the house. I put her in one of the bathrooms along with a training pad and her bed, food, and water. I take her out in the morning with my Yorkie at 8 am for 15 -20 minutes and again later at 1pm for 30 minutes, at 6pm for 20 minutes and even at 9pm for 15 minutes.

I see her going pee and poo outside, but she still pees on her bed and the bathroom smells awful. I have to keep washing her bedding. She used to pee in carpet before she came to me. How can I train her? On top of this "now" my Yorkie is peeing inside too. Help I'm so desperate, but I love them both.

By Patty

Answers

Best Answer

I would have her checked out for urinary problems. Then I would consider crate training although with her willing to pee in her bed this may not be the right method. But be sure to have her checked out well by a Vet. They often have good ideas on house training too. Also the incontinence pads at WM are cheap and could save you a lot of laundry while you figure things out. Good luck!

I have a 6 month old female Yorkie. I can not get her to potty outside to save my life. She is pretty good using her pad, but lately she is starting to pee and poop on two areas of carpet in the house. I have shampooed these areas and tried the barrier spray, to no avail. I really want her to start going outside.

Signed,
Helpless in Columbia

Answers

Best Answer

have you tried putting the pads out when you go out with her? Put them next to a wall or kind of isolated area. I'll bet she just gets distracted when outdoors. If you can get her to use the pads outdoors, you can probably eventually remove the pads.

I have an 8 month old adopted Yorkie and she won't stay or go outside by herself. If you are out with her and go in she will keep jumping on the door to get in. I don't want her to get too stressed so I can't just leave her out there. What do I need to do to get her to spend some time outside by herself. She stays indoors, but I would like for her to go out and do her business without me having to walk her around.

By Rogers H.

Answers

Best Answer

Not knowing the dog's past history as to why it does not like being left alone for potty time outside, I can only encourage that you continue to stay out with the dog for awhile each time it goes outside until it is accustomed to and feels confident its master is there for it.

Maybe some animal tried to hurt the dog when it was a pup and it has fear of being outdoors alone, or because it is adopted, it had no owner and doesn't want to leave your side when its outside. You could stand at the door and watch the dog while its out there and hope it feels secure.

I'd try this a few times after being outside with the dog until it understands you are within sight until the dog gets over this fear. It's still a pup and it may grow out of this too. Just try to be patient a little longer.

After having my 8 month old female Yorkie outside for a potty break for over an hour, she will come inside the house and poop on the floor. I normally don't see her doing it until after the fact. My question is why does she do this after being outside for so long?

By DFS

Answers

Best Answer

You have to change the floor somehow. You can change the floor covering, or change the smell of it with Vic's VapoRub. We actually stopped my sister's Yorkie from doing that with loads of praise and treats for correctly pottying outside, and with letting her out hourly, combined with praise. Yorkies are really smart, and the praise will get them. Also we took up all the throw rugs she liked to potty on...

I recently got a 6 month old Yorkie pup. She was given to me because the original owners had problems potty training her. She also had a problem with chewing on things. CoCo Bean has only been with me for 2 days now, and I think she is doing fairly well. She has not chewed on anything except for toys. She has however, had some accidents and it seems as though it is a real bother to her to go outside.

Is there any hope that I can housebreak her? Please don't feel that I am already giving up, because I posted this after only 2 days working with her. I am in this for the long haul, I just wanted to see what advice someone might have to help me along.

Thanks. Lisa Marie from Friedens, PA

Answers:

Housetraining a Puppy

Try taking the poop and putting it outside in her designated toilet area. After nap and 20-30 minutes after she eats and drinks are musts for potty time. I would be cautious of taking her out every thirty minutes. You may be training her bladder to empty every thirty minutes.

Best of Luck. (11/14/2005)

By Jenna

Housetraining a Puppy

I have a 12 week old Pomeranian named Symba and I found that using housebreaking pads makes a huge difference. Although at times, Symba will potty where he feels he should potty when he can't find a pad to potty on. You can find these pads at online pet stores, Wal-Mart, and your local pet store.

Also, don't feed her or give her water after 7pm. I've learned that Symba loves to be praised when he potties in his designated place. It's a trying process that takes a lot of patience, praise, and love. You can also use the pads for the outside because you don't want her to get use to eliminating on the inside and then you'll have to start the process of training her for the outside. So, try to mix it up a bit. Good Luck! (11/14/2005)

By Bridget

Housetraining a Puppy

I have a now, year old terrier and went through all that fun of training the little feller. One thing be patient and persistent with your puppy he will pick up what you want but don't give up. If your puppy is getting cold let him in and confine, then try 5 to 10 minutes later to take him out to finish. Mine got cold easily so had to take him out and he would do one thing and want in to get warm. We just held onto him for that time to get warm and try again. He usually would finish the second time.

Some puppies take longer than others to get the idea of what you want from them. My little terrier is great about going out. He has had only one accident in over 6 months and that was our fault. We did not let him out. Be patient and persistent, like your child it takes time and for him to learn control. (11/14/2005)

By Corkey

Housetraining a Puppy

Everyone I know who has had good success training a puppy used a cage or a pen such as a play pen. It to them becomes their bed which they don't want by nature to mess in. Good luck. (11/14/2005)

By April

Housetraining a Puppy

Try covering as large an area as possible with newspaper. Gradually reduce the amount of newspaper, leaving the area nearest the door until last. Finally put the newspaper outside. Takes a while, but it will get her used to using just the areas covered in paper. (11/14/2005)

By Veronica

Housetraining a Puppy

Housebreaking pads will help you but won't teach the puppy to go outside. Consider getting a doggy door. Take her out every 30 minutes and praise her when she goes poopy and crate her when she is inside and you are unavailable or busy. Also, as soon as she quits eating she needs to be taken outside. It's very inconvenient and time consuming at first but once they get it, it's there for life. Patience and consistency with lots of praise will bring success. Took me 3 months to break my Jack Russell. (11/15/2005)

By SNIGDIBBLY

Housetraining a Puppy

I have two dogs and both have been crate-trained and we rarely have any accident. When you get up in the morning, take her out of the crate and then outside immediately, then again after her breakfast and at regular times throughout the day. She might not 'perform' every time, but that's OK she'll be getting the idea of what you expect. Praise her when she does 'perform' and before you know it, Krissy will be completely trained. (11/15/2005)

By Claudia - MD

Housetraining a Puppy

Keeping your puppy in a crate is the best way, at night and when you can't keep an eye on her. The best way to train is to leash your puppy when you take her out, take her to where she should go in the yard and say, "potty", or whatever word you want to use. Don't look at the dog, don't say another word. Right now the only reason she should be in that part of the yard is to potty.

When you go for a walk, leave by another door or avoid that potty area. At 12 weeks, she is still a baby and it will take months to master this new trick because puppies go more often. Puppies usually go about 10-20 minutes after they eat, if you take her out and she doesn't go, watch her closely, watch for signs, wait 3-5 minutes and take her back out. After she begins to go a few times in her area of the yard she will begin to make the connection that that is what you want. Catching her in the act and shouting "no", then taking her out to her spot is helpful too. She will begin to realize how to please you. Never spank or beat a puppy for accidents, a sharp "no" is all you need.

The crate is good because they don't like to mess their bedding area, she may cry at first. I had to put the crate in my bedroom at first and then slowly move it farther away until it was in the basement. My now 7 year old Shepherd/Collie sleeps in her crate and it doesn't even have a door on it anymore. If your puppy does mess in the crate it's because she couldn't wait, make sure she has gone before crating. Good luck. (11/15/2005)

By Patricia L. Greer

Housetraining a Puppy

In my experience raising Labs I have found the best thing to do is take them out after eating or drinking and also, immediately after waking from naps. Kenneling at night will help as long as the kennel isn't too big. If they have the chance to soil one end and sleep in the other end they will. Praise when actually using the outdoors is highly recommended and be sure to show disappointment in you voice when they go inside.
Good Luck (11/20/2005)

By Barbie

Housetraining a Puppy

This is what I did with a 2 year old Maltese that had been in a kennel her whole life. I bought cheap hot dogs and cut them into small pieces. I would take her outside and when she did her business, I would give her a piece of hot dog. If she pooped, she got 2 pieces. This was the only time she got hot dogs. It only took about 5 days to house train her. Don't know if this helps, but she sure surprised me with how fast a two year old kennel kept dog got house trained. Good luck. (11/21/2005)

By Julia

Housetraining a Puppy

There's a misunderstanding. A crate should "never" be used as a punishment. It should be the dog's special place/den. They naturally like to have a special spot in the house whether it's on the bed, in a corner, in a crate or wherever they choose. They should be able to go into the crate if they want to, even when you're home. It's supposed to be a good place not a bad place. Also training should be fun and pleasurable for the human and the dog. Never punish while training, only rewards. Every step in the right direction should be rewarded with a treat or something the dog likes. (12/14/2005)

Housetraining a Puppy

I have a 10 week old Standard Poodle Puppy who is pooping and peeing in her crate every time i leave her to go anywhere. I have no clue what to do. Does anyone have any advice?

Editor's Note: It really depends on how long you are gone. 10 weeks is not very old and so I don't really think it is that unusual. You can try taking her out right before you leave and try not to leave her for more than an hour. If you are gone for hours, expect that this might be the case for a while until she is old enough to hold it. (05/09/2006)

By kara

Load More