Browsing: Training a Dog to Not Run Away

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Training a Dog to Not Run Away

Keeping your dog next to you with out a leash can be a challenge, until you and your pup are trained. This is a guide about training a dog to not run away.

Trained Dog Not Running Away
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 28, 2008 Flag

My 8 month old male Sheltie has recently decided that he likes to run around the neighborhood, and not respond to return commands. I follow him on foot, get a couple feet from him and he just takes off running! I have never physically hit or spanked him. It's becoming very frustrating.

He stays in the backyard all day by himself. I think he is just at the age where he wants to play and socialize with the neighbor kids and dogs. My husband is furious! He wants to get a shock collar, but I refuse. He was neutered just 10 days ago, but he has done this before that. I need help!

Annie from Severance, CO

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'd like to add a note about shock collars: they are inconsistent and can fail and lead to bigger problems. They can malfunction and punish dogs at the wrong time at the wrong level. They can malfunction to the point of burning holes in dog's skin. They can cause behavioural issues like aggression, fear biting, and skittishness. They can cause dogs to fear or dislike things they associate with the collar: like things they see when they get shocked or the person who puts the collar on.

Just some food for thought.

I agree with dog winning. I had a yorkie and he would tear out of house like a bat. He loved for me to chase him. Thankfully we were in a quiet neighborhood so I would walk to end of driveway with his favorite squeak toy and would squeak away and he would coming right back! Once he ran up to this dog that looked like a mini horse huge and barked at dog yorkie all of 6 pounds thinking he was tough I went out squeaking toy he ran inside and had no more desire to run out the front door. The big dog scared him. good luck

My dog does the same thing. She is 16 months old and in heat. She will only ignore vocal commands when off leash in public dog park. I only use a small mesh harness on her and never any collar of any kind. If we are in the bush or on a logging road, alone, she can be exploring ahead or behind but when I call she comes. She will walk right beside me out there too when I tell her to heal. In public, it is a totally different story. It is like she is distracted.It is frustrating. I can't have her off leash successfully yet.

What I am doing now is that when I take her to a park, I hook the 6' leash on her harness instead of the 16' zip line leash. I drop the leash and we walk. I call her and run with her in the field at the park. This way if she sees something more interesting than my calling her or telling her to come, I can grab the leash when she is taking off in the opposite direction, before she runs into any sort of dangerous situation, like a big aggressive dog, traffic or a bicycle etc.

So far I think this is working. I am constantly praising her when she comes and I ignore her when she doesn't. Except to get her leash and lead her in the direction I want her to go in.

I am hoping that once she is spayed that her behavior will change somewhat, a bit calmer, less investigative perhaps. Hopefully listen better. Once she is healed from her spay, Roxy is going to obedience classes for basic command training. I sure hope that helps. She dislikes her harness and I dislike having to put it on her but right now it is for her own good.

Especially in heat and at a dog park.. lol. I am confident that Roxy will come around and listen even better than she does right now, most of the time. When we are in the dog park and she has played catch me if you can, it is when other small dogs were around that she was playing with.

Roxy loves kids too and when she hears them playing in the park, they attract her, just like other dogs do. The park I am practicing in right now has kids as well as the occasional dog. I think within time, Roxy will come on command, whether there are other dogs around or not. I am determined to teach her.

Shelties as a breed have a tendency to bolt (run away). They are also often chasers (anything they see from squirrels to cars sometimes)...this is part of their instincts as dogs of pasture so it's hard to train them not to (even though otherwise they are very obedient breeds). It's not just a puppy thing; it's likely you have bolter and it may be difficult to change that. A fenced yard is usually recommended to the point where some breeders will not sell someone a Sheltie without a fenced yard.

Read More Answers...

July 29, 2010 Flag

My neighbor has a white American Bulldog, Holly, that is spayed and two years old. Every time someone comes in their house Holly runs past and then runs amok in the neighborhood. I am afraid something is going to happen to her. She is a beautiful and sweet dog, but does seem to need discipline.

What is the suggested advice to break this running out of the door, not listening and then running amok till someone can catch her? Thanks

By Michelle from Des Moines, IA

Keep a leash close by. When someone comes to the door put the leash on the dog. Make it sit until the person is inside and the door is closed. With practice, you can make the dog sit without the leash.

I completely agree with Danialle! Keep a leash by the door. When the doorbell rings put the leash on the dog and make her sit as the visitors enter (have the visitors ignore her at first, to much excitement will only make things harder.) Repeat this behavior at the door when the guests leave. The leash and the command to sit are equally important. It's tempting to just put a leash on her, but she needs something to do while at the door. So make sure to tell her to sit. It will take a ton of practice, but it will stop her from running away immediately. Someday, hopefully soon, she'll be able to greet visitors with no leash and in a calm sit pose. Good luck! :)

Since dogs are food motivated I'd make a cluck sound when she sits and give her a treat. You'll have to practice this before someone comes to the door. Use the leash during practice sessions so she will know a treat will soon be coming.

As soon as someone comes through the door throw out a doggie bone. Make sure the dog sees it. Once the treat has been eaten teach the dog that there is another treat waiting just as soon as the dog returns into the house. Maybe let the guest give the dog the return bone.

Read More Answers...

January 4, 2010 Flag

How can I get my dog to stop running away and not coming back when not on a lead?

By Ricky from Wagga Wagga, NSW

First rule: Never, never, never call a dog to you and then tell him/her off. If you need to tell him/her off go to them. Remember that their understanding is that the telling off is directly related to the last thing they did (or if you are good, they are doing).

Practise your recall & really reward it when they get it right. Until you have a good recall your dog should not be off lead in a public area. You can give them running space by using an extenda lead.

And do join a training club please. You and your dog will have a much happier and enjoyable life together if trained.

BTW I am a trained trainer and breeder of GSDs and Golden Retrievers - dogs are my life.

I am not a dog trainer but I remember reading the following. Put dog on a long rope and let him run away. Then tell him "come " if he does not respond, rope him in saying come and when he has reached you, give him a treat. Do this several times every day until he understands what come means and comes without being roped in. After a while you can quit the treat and just pet him when he comes to you.

How do I stop my small chihuahua and terrier mix from running away?

September 2, 2008 Flag

What do you do if your dog keeps running away?

Christina from St.Louis, MO

For my Dachshund, he likes to run out to the street when he can, he isn't two years yet but I want to neuter him. Anyways, he likes us to chase him! One day I just looked at him and just walked my way home (he knows where he lives, he always comes back home with a big smile on his face) and he followed me after a minute that I didn't come back. And he followed me home, safely. Sometimes it's just a game for them, if that's so, give them more exercise! That was my mistake.

Our dog was a runner. He was a sneaky one. He got out. We don't know how. The gate was secured and the door was shut. He would get out so much that the neighbors just brought him back this time. Then dog catchers got him. We could not afford to get him out. The thing was, he is chipped. The animal shelter never called us or them. I had to call up and ask if they picked him up. For all those who deal with a runner god bless you. We tried it all to keep him from getting out. Nothing worked.

Pets TrainingMarch 20, 2014
pug in a crate
Crate Training a Dog
A hole in a pair of pantyhose.
Fixing a Run in Your Stockings
Pug looking guilty.
Training a Dog to Poop on a Training Pad
agility training for your dog
Agility Training for Your Dog
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 2:33:26 PM on 10.0.1.53 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.