Cat Pooping in Bathtub

Category Training
Sometimes our pets choose the wrong place to their duty inside the house. This guide is about cat pooping in the bathtub.

My 2 year old cat has been pooping in the bathtub for a year. I have used ammonia, vinegar, and orange scent to clean in the bathtub. All the products prevented her habits in the bathtub briefly. She used her litterbox for a week or 2, but the poo poo continues.

She's been checked at the vet, her litter box is kept clean, and I've tried different litters. It stains my tub, and I use a bleach solution to remove it, but then it continues. Any solutions or suggestions will be helpful. Thank you.

Brossi

Answers

Try putting the litter box in the bath tub. Maybe she will get the idea?

Yes, start with the litter box in the tub and then if she uses it there, wait a few days and move it to right beside the tub. After a few more days move it a few more feet away and continue this until the box is where you want it. Also just be glad she isn't pooping in the center of your bed. That's what my cat did and the moving the box thing cured her of it. Hope this helps :)

I have read most of the answers previously provided, but my situation is slightly different. We don't make use of a litter box - we have a massive garden on a golf estate. My cats (brother and sister) have a cat flap and have been doing their business outside since they were kitties (they are 9 years old now).

My male cat started pooping in the shower about 2 months ago, and this morning was the 3rd time. I want to stop this before it becomes a habit or help him if something is wrong. I cannot see anything abnormal in his stool. Any advise will be much appreciated?

Answers

Best Answer

if a vet or an external animal threat has been removed, and he happens to be an older cat, would you consider using a litter box for him? Maybe for some reason he's at the stage in his life where he doesn't want to go outside to do his business because it is too much work or something.

Best Answer

Several things come to mind. As previously mentioned, your cat may be afraid of something outside. He also may be arthritic, and it is easier to step over the shower edge than to go through the cat door. Thirdly, and most likely he may have an bladder infection. Cats very often will use a cool surface (tub, shower) because it feels soothing to them when they are in pain. Your cat is at the age when they can get urinary blockages from crystals in their urine.

If you find him unable to urinate, and in pain or distress know that it is a life threatening emergency. You have about 24 hours max to have him treated, often you have less than that. If the bladder ruptures there is nothing that can be done. I would start with a Vet visit to find out what is causing this change in your cats behavior. Early on it may turn out to be a much easier fix.

My cat is gonna be 5 years old and has recently been pooping in the tub. He has never done that before. The box is always clean and tub is as well. The poop is very wet and like a diarrhea color. My husband said he had just seen a little blood this week. Why do you think he is doing this since he has never done this before? Nothing has changed in our lifestyle.

Answers

Best Answer

He may have some kind of infection. His butt may be sore and the litter is irritating him. The tub is smooth. I would give the vet a call

Best Answer

Pooping or peeing in the bathtub is a pretty sure sign that your cat is having some pain. They think the cool smooth tub will make them feel better.

There can be any number of things that would cause the diarrhea. It could be and infection, a blockage, or hookworms. Some of these can be quite serious. You cat needs to see a Vet right away. Remember to take a stool sample.

We took in a cat, Charlotte, from someone not fit to take care of himself due to mental illness and laziness. We are angry about how badly he treated the cat. He never showed cat boundaries, never ever cleaned the litter box, let bad habits go on, ie. table jumping.

Charlotte got here 5 days ago and is doing great on everything - except she won't use the litter box. She was used to the bathtub and won't stop that. We're doing the careful - put poo in the right place and carefully admonish and show her where to go. We don't want to cause more problems. Our other dear cat is trying to convince her too, I swear. We are going to try to keep tub wet, but Charlotte never was taught or encouraged to use litter box.

She is around 4 yrs old. She is healthy. She is a sweet cat. We rescued her from his family taking her to the Humane Society. No one else will keep her. We understand it is going wrong because this is how he taught her, but we need this to end. We have 2 boxes, no room for another and she is getting along with our other 2 cats. Please advise how to deal with this.

Answers

Best Answer

Good on you for taking Charlotte in. She clearly needed a friend. I suggest a couple of things. Dont use covered boxes (they frighten some cats). Use big litter boxes. Limit or eliminate the scolding. Unless you correct her in 10 seconds she has no idea what you are getting at and can become more confused and frightened. Make sure the boxes are in a quiet, secure place the cats can get to easily. Perhaps one near the bathtub. With her new and very different environment she is dealing with a lot of stress. 5 days is not enough for this stress level to go down.

It will take a couple weeks at best. At that point she will be able to focus and change some habits with a little help. The more you do to help her relax the faster they will move along. My "grandkitten" came to stay for awhile and he is known for peeing on the rug. I got a litter called Dr. Elseys Cat Attract. He has been here 4 months now and has never missed the box. I recommend the product. You can get it from Chewy online or higher end pet stores. Be patient with Charlotte. You are doing a wonderful thing for her., and she knows it.

My cat recently had a litter of kittens (possibly the stressor to her recent problems?) and she has been having diarrhea in the bath tub as well as peeing on a bed. I don't know why she started peeing on the bed, but she has always pooped in the tub, it's just more recently.

I got her when she was roughly 3 months old off the street and she has always had diarrhea, but why has she been pooping in the tub and peeing on the bed?

She has two litter boxes - one in my bedroom where she sleeps and one outside of the bathroom - she has used both of them, but recently stopped using the one in my bedroom after I cleaned it out. She still uses the one outside of the bathroom occasionally.

She also does this thing where she'll poop in the litter box and then find a towel or plastic bag and pull it into the litter box to cover her poop instead of burying it in the litter and this only started after she gave birth.
Why is my cat doing this?

Answers

Best Answer

You might want to hold off on worming your cat while she is nursing kittens. Some wormers can be passed onto the kittens and it can be harmful to them. Chronic diarrhea usually means a cat needs a change of diet. You might want to try a cat food for sensitive stomachs, or a hypoallergenic food. If you are feeding dry food try canned. That can make quite a difference. Your Vet might have suggestions too. Urinating outside the litter box is usually caused by a bladder infection. It sounds like she needs to be checked out.

My adolescent male cat keeps on pooping in the bath, it is starting to get rather annoying. He was a stray and turned up on our doorstep about 5 weeks ago (you know the old saying "cats choose you not the other way around"). I have tried bleach cleaning the bath in hope that he has no smell to go back to, the garage door is always slightly ajar so he can come and go as he pleases morning or night. I would shut the bathroom door, but I'm scared he will just find a more disastrous place to do his nasty business. People have said rub his nose in it, but I won't because I believe it will just make him anxious, and I think I would not like my nose rubbed in the mistakes I have ever made. Does anyone have any helpful advise for me to use?

Jonty from New Zealand

Answers

By Joyce (Guest Post)

I use to have a cat that did that everyday.I also had a litter box but he would still poop in the bath tub.One day I decided enough was enough.I fill the tub with water.I came home to a wet bathroom and cat but it stopped him for good.I did this a couple of weeks just to make sure he understood.He never pooped in the tub again.

By Sharylesley (Guest Post)

Bleach actually attracts a cat as it is like ammonia - I would suggest something with orange oil in it to detract it. Is it desexed at all - you may need to look at that aspect and provide as clean litter tray - once you show it where it is he may just start using that instead of the bath

This could be bad behavior, but it could be he has worms or parasites or something else. Cats are smarter than we give them credit for. He may be trying to call your attention to his stomach problem. It would probably be wise to have him checked by a Vet. If nothing is wrong, then I would advise the water in the tub, and keeping him pinned up in a room with his litterbox, so he could get the idea again.

By kidsNclutter (Guest Post)

Place the litter box in the bath tub until kitty is accustomed to using it. Show him how interesting it is by scratching your hands thru it to give him the idea. Confining kitty in the room w/ the litter box might help also. Then you can slowly move the box to the place in the house you wish it to be. Move it SLOWLY, a little at a time each day. Read this in a book.

Hi!
I have two female cats who read my signals and vice versa. They know exactly what I want or don't want and I know exactly what they want or don't want.
We often have a battle of wills and sometimes I let them win. Other times I will grab them by the scruff of their necks, show them why I am angry with them and escort them out the door. This usually works...or not ;-)

By (Guest Post)

Thankyou guys

I will give each and every one of your suggestions a go, Ill let you know what happens.

By (Guest Post)

well, do NOT rub his nose in it...they have no idea what you are doing that for they can not make that connect, their brains are simply not wired for that kind of thinking.
It is quite possible that where he lived before his liter box was placed in the bathtub, to keep the mess off the floor. Not a good idea, but people do some dumb things. I agree, put a little water in the tub, or put the litter box in there. Also, you can try shutting him in a room with the litter box.
Now you can train him by aversion training, but you have to catch him in the act everytime and spray him with a water spritzer...or in my cats' case crumble a plastic bag. Their brains can make that connection.
My mother had a cat that one day after 5 or 6 yrs. decided to forgo the litter box and pee at the top of the stairs. She eventually had to move the litter box to that area. Good luck

By Cathy (Guest Post)

You could also crumble some tin foil and place it in the tub, with newspaper on top. The idea is to make the cat feel safe with the newspaper, then, when he steps on it, the crunchiness of the crumpled foil, he can't stand it. One book I read suggested using those tiny mousetraps, set and then covered by the newspaper. Again, making a "safe" but scary environment out of your tub. These ideas would work in any place, and I used them to keep my cat out of a particular windowsill that he would climb over the couch with nasty paws to get to.

You sound like a very wonderful, good-hearted person. No wonder the kitty chose you. If you fill the bathtub, I think you'd want to be home for the kitty bath, just to be on the safe side.

By Lynda (Guest Post)

Remembering that cats like to poop in one place, urinate in another, for some odd reason. Spraying is marking "new" territory, so the cleaner it is, the more it will mark it. I'd wash all but a tiny amt. of the spray off, hopefully it will satisfy the cat? Also,
cats don't like green bean juice, lemon ju., or orange scent. Try those fragrances as odors to discourage the cat? Make sure that the cat can get to the "private" cat box, that it is changed often, and
that the floor is clean around it as well. God bless and help you. : )

Cats will mark their territory with poop as well as peeing. Neutered or not. Only males in my opinion but I am not totally sure. Maybe something has happened to make your cat uneasy. You maynot have noticed but it might be a big deal for him.

I had high hopes for a product called Feliway which is supposed to make them feel safe and secure. I see they even sell a plug in diffuser now. I just have too many other male cats in my neighborhood.

I dont know if it will work for you. But it's a suggestion.
http://www.feli  S=5&Key=null

By T J. (Guest Post)

I had the same problem with my male cat. He just one day started to pee in the bath tub. I tried everything from cleaning out the tub as best as I could, putting plastic in there to scare him away and finally I put the litter box in the tub. I let it stay in there a week or so and then moved it right outside the bathtub. That didn't work either. I finally put the litter box in the hallway and closed the bathroom door. When I started to open the bathroom door again he used it again. I finally put a piece of wood over most of the tub. There is still an opening he can get into the tub with but he doesn't try. Good luck!

My cat has been pooping in the bathtub lately. It's not cause she doesn't like her litter box, she uses it just as much as the bathtub. She has all my other pets scared, and usually tries to attack them. She's also very anti-social. I know she grew up in a very bad environment before I got her, so what should I do?

By jenny p