Training a Dog to Poop on a Training Pad

Training a dog to use a puppy pad may be the best solution for a pet that stays inside for periods of time without access to a yard via a dog door. This is a guide about training a dog to poop on a training pad.

I have a 2 month old puppy and he won't poop on his puppy pad. He will pee on it, but when it comes to poop he always goes on a blanket, rug, or just on the floor. How do I train him to go on his pad?

By Khera from Sarasota, FL

Answers

One thing I would not do is train a dog to pee on a pad train him for outside or he will continue this habit for a long time. Take him outside make sure he does his business and praise him. If your set on the pad try to catch him while he is going take him to the pad repetition is key.

I agree with the other answer of going outside. This way, you walk your dog when it has to go so you get 2 birds with 1 stone. If you have to do the pads, it's just going to take time. Everytime it poos on the carpet, hold it by it's scruff (lightly) and say "NO." (or whatever word you want it to associate with bad behavior. Then, take the poo (while still holding the dog so it can see what you're doing) and put it on the pee pad.

Do it every time. It'll understand. Remember that you must praise the it as soon as it goes on the pad. If all else fails, there's really only one way to show your dog what you want....and that's to do it yourself for it to see. I hope it doesn't come to that for you. LOL.

I taught my dog how to roll over and all of the harder tricks by doing the tricks myself for it to see but I took by dog out every morning/night to do it's business so I didn't have to go there LOL.

Anonymous

I am assuming the pad is for while you're gone and the puppy is home alone and can't 'hold it' yet. Have you tried using two poddy pads? If not, give it a try but place them a few feet away from one another. Many dogs don't like to poopy where they've already gone pee or poo.

Scruffing of the neck does not work and is misleading the puppy thinking he is punished for a reason he does not know. Hopefully this is just a caution pad for when you are out. Place a piece of his poop on the pad and let him sniff and explore then get rid of the pad after about an hour, you might find he will remember the spot but always treat your baby to the great outdoors where nature calls.

How big the area is along with the size of the pad? Sometimes the pads have a slight smell of urine in them and the animals can smell way better than humans. If you catch the puppy in the act rush him to the pad and praise him along with petting him. I say what a good boy! I also would use more than one pad and a larger area in a corner. I also put newspaper under the pads incase they do not absorb like they promise. Also I know you do not want to hear this... He is young, how long have you had him and the breed.

There is nothing wrong with pad training! Hate when people don't address the actual question. Do you change the pad right away after use? I have a time of day issue - will go pee and poop first thing in the morning no problem but will hold it for hours and hours the rest of the day. I trained him like that a bit by accident and now I'm desperate to reverse it.

When I put puppy on pee pad,when I know she needs to poop I hold,her for a second or so and she stops and then takes off,,
She uses pee pads for peeing but won't poop on them ,what can I do so she will use pee,pads for poop as well as pee. She is only 11 week old havanese

Why is it sooo horrible to wanna have one's pet go on a specific, clean pad?

My dog is 3 months old and she will pee on the pee pad, but won't poop on the pee pad. She will go in the house somewhere and poop. I'm trying to get her to poop on the pee pad. Do I need to get two out for her?

By Laquita

Answers

Best Answer

I use a spray that i got from Walmart its called " GO HERE" spray it on the pads and i guarantee your pup will go on it, never had any issues. I only have them down when im not home.

Mattie uses her pad to pee, but refuses to use it to do do. What is the answer? She is a very excited animal and seems to do the do do bit for spite, when she doesn't get her own way. She is a miniature Schnauzer. She is 8 months old and a very lovable and good companion.

By Misty from OH

Answers

Anonymous

Perhaps try having a second pad for the poopy in a separate spot? My thought would be to not put it down until she has pooped once and then put that poopy on it as a hint that this is her poopy pad?

Oh and once she realizes it's for pooping be sure and keep the poop picked up because poochies don't like to step on their poop any more than humans do ;-)

This may be because dogs like to turn a lot before picking a spot. My dog did the same thing. We put down a larger area of pee pads and as she became use to it we removed them one at a time until she could hit her target. However, we still had to always keep two down at all times, because even though she is a small dog, she makes big turns before picking her spot.

This sounds nasty and it is hard to do but when your puppy continues to keep pooping anywhere he/she likes, dab her nose in it and immediatley place her on her puppy pad wiping her nose on the pad then after 2 minutes clean her nose with a dog wipe it sounds cruel i know but believe me its pretty much the only thing that works i only had to do it 3 times and shes NEVER EVER poopd anywhere else apart from her pad. Hope this helps and stick with it!!

I have a 2 month old Maltese Terrier and it is too young to go out of the house. Currently she has a training pad where she only does pee.

When we realise that she is going to poop, we put her on the training pad and keep her there for one hour, but she still doesn't poop. As soon as we are convinced that she isn't going to poop she goes and does her business on the floor. What do I do to get her to poop on the training pad?

By massimac

Answers

I have a 9 week old shitzu that wees on pad but poops elsewhere. What can I do?

Put some of your puppy's fresh poop on the pad. Let him smell it. Don't rub his nose in it and tell him to "poop there". The praise him when he does..

We adopted her at 10 weeks and she took well to pad training in her puppy gate. She was praised and treated, etc. We started leaving the gate open and she even made a point to run in there and do #2 without being guided, till one day. Now she finds corners and other hiding spots. I don't know what to do or how to discipline? Any suggestions? Please.

Answers

Puppies aren't completely trained until 6 months. Make sure you put out a fresh pad each time. She may not poop on one that is soiled.

all I can think of is, time to retrain her again. Take her to the pad every now and again when you think it is time to 'go', and reward her when she does.

Maybe it's just too soon to let them out of the cage: "The most important part of house training is making sure that your puppy does not have any time that they are unsupervised when out of their crate. This can give them the opportunity to sneak away and have an accident. If your puppy is out then they need to have a responsible set of eyes on them at all times. If you cannot watch your puppy we recommend using an appropriately sized crate to help keep them safe and prevent them from having unwanted accidents. If you are having a hard time keeping an eye on your puppy when they are out you can place a long leash on them and always have your hand on the end of it so they cannot go too far." http://www.akc.  ty-pad-training/

the first thing to check is with the vet to see if there is any infections,,,. has any thing else changed.. are you now working and not before, is she/he staying alone more for any other erason ..if there is no medical reason , or other reason , you will have to start over with training....

My 4 year old Chi is still pooping in the house. I've tried keeping her in a gated room for over two months. Today I let her out and the first thing she does is go under the dining room table and poop. That is the only place that she has always pooped under. She will pee on her pads, but the whole time I've had her in her room for the last 2 months she has pooped in there.

I watch all the Dog Whisperer shows and have looked up everything online and thought I was doing everything right, but now today, after her first day out and seeing that she pooped the first chance she had I'm at my wit's end. She is a great companion and I love her to death as well as she does me. I just don't know what else to do. I need help.

Answers

Use Nature's Miracle to remove odor from the spot she poops in. It seems she has marked her territory.

Bought pads for puppy who lives in apartment with me. Most times he pre on pad but shits on carpet. Don't want to whip him. Ends with with him but I love him

My dog is 3 years old. She will pee all day long on her puppy pad, but will not poop on it. What do I do? I have tried everything. Help.

I was wondering if you could give me some tips. I have a 8 month old pup. She is a great dog, but she hardly does number 1 when she usually makes it to her wee-wee pad, but when she does number 2 she goes wherever she is. We take her outside, but I think she is confused and thinks it's play time ;-(. Please help.
Thanks.

I have a 14 month old Yorkie who has been potty trained to go on a training pad. Lately, only when I am not home, he will poop on the carpet. Please help!

How can I get my dog to pee and poo in the same place in the house?

By Larry

Answers

How to get my puppy to pee and poop on her wee wee pad?

I have a 14 week old Chi puppy and he will go pee on his potty pad, but for some reason he sneaks and will poop on the carpet by our door. I don't get why he's not pooping on his potty pad. How can I fix this?

By Alaysha B

I have a 6 year old Chihuahua and 3 of her babies from separate litters. The oldest will be 3 on March 14, then 2 years in October, and finally, 5 months. They are all trained to the puppy pads, but recently they are all pooing on the carpet in one room in the same spot. Please help!

By Chelle M from Beckley, WV

I have a 6 month old Boxer who I recently adopted from a shelter. She will pee on a puppy pad, but won't potty. I take her out frequently, but she refuses to do number two. She always goes to my daughter's room and uses it. Any ideas of how to get her to use it on puppy pad?

By Jordan

I got a puppy two days ago and I keep him on the back porch. He is only three months old. I bought him some dog pads to train him so that he will not go on the the floor. He will pee on the pads but not poop, why?

Nikky from Waycross, GA

Answers:

Puppy Will Not Poop on Training Pads

Oh please! Whatever you do don't rub your pup's nose in it if he has an accident or get really upset. I've been told by numerous people that once you do that to your puppy, you confuse them and scare them, so they start hiding little "presents" around the house (since they're scared you'll get mad if they have an accident).
Just thought I'd put that out there. Happy training :) and congrats on the new addition. (01/14/2009)

By stephanieee

Puppy Will Not Poop on Training Pads

Your dog needs to be trained to go outside. Like the child you want to potty train, they will not till you remove the diapers and place them in the bathroom.

Your pup will not soil their sleeping/keeping area. In 1 week we trained our 6 week pup that "outside" was the only place of elimination. She was kept in her pup carrier (to the dismay of the children) and they carried it to the door in the morning, opened it on the step, put the leash on her and walked to the designated spot. She would be held, played with, but if she were to be left alone, she was back in the carrier. Oh, she loved the masters of music, so she always had Mozart or Beethoven on.

If you don't train her for outdoors, your dog would not be acceptable company to go visit with. It would be like having a teenager in diapers peeing on your floor. Not acceptable. It is natural for a dog to go outside to eliminate. If you can't, invest in a good carpet cleaner and disinfectant. Poor manners from the dog is not a happy dog either.
Our dog comes to "tell you" when it is time to go out. She even jumps on the bed when I sleep, looks me face to face, and does her "Pee, right now!" cry. (01/14/2009)

By T&T Grandma

Puppy Will Not Poop on Training Pads

I noticed that by smearing a tiny bit of his poo on his training pad, he'll understand that's where he should go. I have had my Boxer puppy Hendrix for 2 weeks (he's about 9 weeks now) and it's worked well for him! He's great with peeing on the pads, but I still have to monitor him and bring him back to his training pads as a reminder. I watch while he goes poo to make sure it's in the right place (aka not all over my house! Haha) and he's catching on quickly :)

Another thing I notice is he doesn't go in the same spot. I laid out 5 training pads and he tends to go pee on one end and poo on the other. It might just be him, not all pups, but who knows! I hope that helps you a little. (01/14/2009)

By stephanieee

Puppy Will Not Poop on Training Pads

Your dog will not poop where he sleeps. Most pups will usually poop right after they eat. After feeding him, put him in a cardboard box that has just enough room for him to lie down and for the "poop" pad. Since he won't poop on his sleep area, he will poop on the pad. Praise him every time he poops on the pad. After 2-3 days use a larger cardboard box. Still praise him when he uses the pad.

After a while he will realize that the pad is the place to poop and all you have to do is show him where the poop pad is in the house. Show him where it is after feeding him and that's all you have to do. Good luck. (01/16/2009)

By Wes W.

Puppy Will Not Poop on Training Pads

I agree wholeheartedly with T&T Grandma. When my hubby brought our Tigger home, he was a maybe-six-week-old stray. Within three days, Tigger understood that outside was the place to eliminate. Since then, he runs back and forth to the door and whines to go out. Princess, on the other hand, will scratch and vocalize, something between a whine and a growl. Hubby trained her the same way, in the same time.

To make a long story short, patience and consistency are key. Getting upset and yelling or (even worse) hitting your pup will only frighten him. Show him the "boo-boo", say "no" in a firm but calm voice, and take him outdoors. Immediate praise and consequences both help. "Catch" him in the act either way, and you have a "teachable moment". (01/17/2009)

By JustPlainJo