Puppy Won't Poop on Puppy Pad

I have a 2 month old puppy and he won't poop on his puppy pad. He will pee on it, but when it comes to poop he always goes on a blanket, rug, or just on the floor. How do I train him to go on his pad?

By Khera Smith from Sarasota, FL

One thing I would not do is train a dog to pee on a pad train him for outside or he will continue this habit for a long time. Take him outside make sure he does his business and praise him. If your set on the pad try to catch him while he is going take him to the pad repetition is key.

Anonymous

When you have Chihuahuas and they have tiny bladders, they cannot hold it all night or fit nine hours in the day while I'm at work. Sometimes you have no choice but to pad train, I have no yard as I live in a condo and the community grass gave my dogs worms 3 times when they ate grass. There's lots of dog traffic here. Anyways if someone were at home most of the time they could be outside trained but they would ruin their kidneys trying to hold it all day.

Its a must for my mother for ptty pee pads

HI,I had the same problem.What I did one day I smeared a little of her poop on the pee pad and just left it there,on the same day no kidding she pooped on her pee pad. Good luck,hope it works for you.

But you cant let a puppy go out side 14 week

I agree with the other answer of going outside. This way, you walk your dog when it has to go so you get 2 birds with 1 stone. If you have to do the pads, it's just going to take time. Everytime it poos on the carpet, hold it by it's scruff (lightly) and say "NO." (or whatever word you want it to associate with bad behavior. Then, take the poo (while still holding the dog so it can see what you're doing) and put it on the pee pad.

Do it every time. It'll understand. Remember that you must praise the it as soon as it goes on the pad. If all else fails, there's really only one way to show your dog what you want....and that's to do it yourself for it to see. I hope it doesn't come to that for you. LOL.

I taught my dog how to roll over and all of the harder tricks by doing the tricks myself for it to see but I took by dog out every morning/night to do it's business so I didn't have to go there LOL.

I'm going to try this its driving me crazy she chews everything in sight. Bites in face please help me with some advice..Tulsa ok

Anonymous

I am assuming the pad is for while you're gone and the puppy is home alone and can't 'hold it' yet. Have you tried using two poddy pads?

If not, give it a try but place them a few feet away from one another. Many dogs don't like to poopy where they've already gone pee or poo.

My three year old dog was peeing on the pad then she just stopped. How do I get her to start using them again?

Scruffing of the neck does not work and is misleading the puppy thinking he is punished for a reason he does not know. Hopefully this is just a caution pad for when you are out. Place a piece of his poop on the pad and let him sniff and explore then get rid of the pad after about an hour, you might find he will remember the spot but always treat your baby to the great outdoors where nature calls.

Why is it sooo horrible to wanna have one's pet go on a specific, clean pad?

It's not,do what works for you and your dog.Dont let people decide for you,you decide.Good luck.

How big the area is along with the size of the pad? Sometimes the pads have a slight smell of urine in them and the animals can smell way better than humans. If you catch the puppy in the act rush him to the pad and praise him along with petting him.

I say what a good boy! I also would use more than one pad and a larger area in a corner. I also put newspaper under the pads incase they do not absorb like they promise. Also I know you do not want to hear this... He is young, how long have you had him and the breed.

3 month

There is nothing wrong with pad training! Hate when people don't address the actual question. Do you change the pad right away after use? I have a time of day issue - will go pee and poop first thing in the morning no problem but will hold it for hours and hours the rest of the day. I trained him like that a bit by accident and now I'm desperate to reverse it.

THANK YOU!!!!! I live in an apartment with many stairs and not much area outside.

So I WANT my puppy to be pad trained. I just needed some suggestions.

When I put puppy on pee pad,when I know she needs to poop I hold,her for a second or so and she stops and then takes off,,
She uses pee pads for peeing but won't poop on them ,what can I do so she will use pee,pads for poop as well as pee. She is only 11 week old havanese

My puppy does the same thing. Have you found a solution? Need to know