My New Puppy Won't Eat

There are a variety of reasons a new puppy won't eat. A check with the previous owner or your vet may help eliminate reasons other than just needing to settle in. This is a guide about my new puppy won't eat.

I've just brought home a 10 week old Shih Tzu Jack Russel X. She's a good weight and seems well. I bought the same puppy food she had been on, Optimum, but she won't eat anything. I have had her for 2 days now and she's only drinking. Can I give her anything else like rice?

Answers

Best Answer

Unfortunately, you might consider taking her to the vet. Loss of appetite can very frequently mean disease - anything from cancer to kidney disease. As well, it could indicate that she's having dental problems, becuase something is making her uncomfortable in her mouth.

There's a chance that the change of circumstances is stressing her out which has made her lose her appetite, but she should really recover it very soon. Since they're so fragile at this young age, I would consult with a vet very soon.

Best Answer

Puppies frequently freak out when changing hands. It isn't just the new environment, it's the loss of mom and siblings. Consider being away from your family for the first time as a child.

You can feed your puppy boiled rice with boiled unseasoned chicken.
If she won't eat that or becomes weak or doesn't play, see what the vet has to say.

8 week old puppy who is not eating, but is drinking water.

By Donna

Answers

Best Answer

Check with whoever you got the puppy from. What were they feeding him/her? How long has it been since the puppy has eaten? There may be underlying issues. You can get a free puppy exam at the vet inside the Pet Smart store. The puppy may have been taken away from its mother too early. Have you tried formula?

My puppy is 8 weeks old. I got her two days ago. She hasn't eaten any food on her own since I've had her. I've been giving her nutritive paste every two hours to keep her blood sugar up and she has been drinking water.

She is active and alert, but just won't eat any food. I've tried giving her two different kinds of wet food and added some plain chicken in as well and she has no interest. Should I take her to the vet at this point?

Answers

I would take her to the vet or at least call for his or her advice

I would also call the vet. It is possible, that there is a medical reason for her not to eat.

But there could also be other reasons. Maybe you could also find out what kind of food your puppy ate before? My dog rarely eats when she is in a new environment. Because this is stressful (something exciting is also a form of stress). She eats at home. So with your puppy, moving into a new home with new people or even animals is a huge stress. Try to make her feel comfortable and try to give her food she knows.

YES!! A vet trip is warranted! ASAP!

Pups this young are often very fragile. They may need more of a mothers milk diet and the vet can give you the exact amounts and best brand to purchase.

Prayers for the fur baby and you!! Post back with updates!! Sending up lots of good wishes for your pupster!!

Yes do take her to a vet for a check-up. Have you tried bottle feeding her with warm milk, it is possible she is missing being nipple feed from her mother. The vet will help you decide what to do.

You could try skipping one of the supplement feedings to see if she gets hungry. But I would see the Vet right away. They can give you advice on how to get her started off right. I would try and get information from the previous owner as to what she was eating (if anything) if she was just nursing she may need some help getting started on solid food. Be sure and get her scheduled for vaccinations right away too.

My 7 week old pit puppy will not eat and has lost weight.

By liz from Concord, NC

Answers:

My New Puppy Won't Eat

Please take you fur baby to the vet asap, not eating in a small puppy is very serious. Pit Bulls are more prone to get Parvo virus. Good luck. (11/05/2009)

By Sherri

My New Puppy Won't Eat

Take your puppy to the vet ASAP. All new pets should be seen by a vet regardless if there's a problem or not. In this case, I would have him/her checked out immediately. (11/05/2009)

By Maryeileen

My New Puppy Won't Eat

Try feeding him baby cereal with milk. This is what I give my pups when I have a mom that can't handle feeding them all. (11/05/2009)

By debbie

I am living in Saudi Arabia. I bought new dog, it's a German Sheppard puppy and it's just 45 days old. He was in a farm with his sister and his health was so good, I bought it before yesterday and until now he is refusing to eat. At the farm he was eating very well, dry food mixed with water. With me, I try many kinds of food (dry food mixed with water, wet food pedigree for puppy, mixed dry and wet food, even milk he refuse to drink it), but he just drinks water.

I took him to a doctor and they give him vitamins and antibiotics and still he refuses to eat. He will play with me and walk with me in and outside of the house. I need to know what his problem with eating is and if someone can help me.

Mohed

Answers:

My New Puppy Won't Eat

That's awfully young for a puppy to leave it's mother. Has he/she been weaned? Usually the moms don't wean the babies until they are about 8 weeks old. You may call the farm and ask what the puppy was eating, and see if he/she was still nursing. You may have to give puppy formula. Good luck! He is a cutie! Also, as everyone else said, it takes several days for a dog to adjust to new surroundings, and they may refuse to eat for several days. Keep trying! (04/03/2008)

By Krystyna

My New Puppy Won't Eat

A dog's potty area has to be separate from where he eats and sleeps. He's very young to be removed from his mother. A vet can sell you puppy formula similar to his mother's milk. (04/03/2008)

By Nan Corpe

My New Puppy Won't Eat

I know it's not the same, but when my son was young we bought him an iguana and the iguana refused to eat. The vet and pet store said this happens some times to "stressed-out" animals (Maybe the plane ride from the US to Saudi, or leaving his mom, who knows?). But this poor iguana would neither eat NOR drink ANYTHING and sadly he died not too long after we got him. Don't believe the saying "If they're hungry eventually they'll eat", because a stressed-out animal doesn't think with his or her right mind. Yes, I agree, call the place you bought him and see what they fed him. Maybe you can have some of that food shipped to your location, then IF he eats that food slowly add another brand you can buy locally to it. Good luck! (04/03/2008)

By Cyinda

My New Puppy Won't Eat

(sent by email)

I would try some canned dog food they make for puppies. Give him some of that then try putting into dry food. Mix it good for a few days, then try to just give him dry slowly.

Cheryl (04/04/2008)

By ThriftyFun

My New Puppy Won't Eat

Try putting the pup in a quiet room all alone with the puppy food. Put out several different choices. Let him hang out in there for about 30 minutes. If he doesn't eat go sit in the floor with him and talk to him quietly and try to hand feed him some dog food. If that doesn't work, try a piece of bread. Once he gets used to his new home hopefully he will start eating. (04/05/2008)

By Candy

My New Puppy Won't Eat

This puppy was much too young to be weaned. You can get specialized milk at pet stores and a small bottle to bottle feed your baby. Put a little corn syrup on your finger before feedings to help get him interested in something, then put some on the bottle nipple. That should help with some nutrition until 8 weeks old. During this time also attempt the moistened puppy food by putting corn syrup on your finger and allowing one lick then put that finger into the mushy food, he should follow it and eat a bit.

Switch to dry puppy food at about 6 - 8 weeks if he's eating better. Puppies eat 1 cup of food per day per 10 lbs of weight, so if your puppy weighs 15 lbs today he gets 1.5 cups of food per day split up into 3 meals. Every 2 weeks take him to the vet and borrow the scale to check his weight (this shouldn't cost anything) so that you can adjust his daily amount of food as he gets heavier. (10/11/2008)

By Camille

Why isn't my puppy eating or drinking? it was her first real day home.