Puppy is Not Eating

It can be disturbing when your puppy refuses to eat. This is a guide about puppy is not eating.

I have a 3 month old puppy that just stopped eating. She now weighs about 5lbs. She eats a can of dog food and then no more. Her feet have turned dark and I am afraid she's gonna die. I have tried Ensure and any kind of food I think she may like. But still nothing. Please help before she dies. Please.

By Alma from Georgia

Answers

Best Answer

Please take the dog to the vet ASAP! There is something seriously wrong with it.

Best Answer

Take the pup to a Vet right away. If money is a problem most vets will allow you to make payments. Some will treat you pet for nothing because they have funds just for that. Call your Vets in advance to see who has payment plans or free treatment. Good luck to you.

Best Answer

This sounds like organ failure, maybe kidney or liver. Or it could be an intestinal blockage so major it is actually shutting off circulation.

You are asking what to do online instead of taking it to the vet. I assume this means you can't afford vet care for your pet. You will need to find the money for the vet visit and medicine or other care. This is an emergency.

I got my puppy 2 days ago, I was told she is only 2 months old and so far all she does is drink a lot of water and won't touch her food. We gave her hard food that her owner was giving her and she will take a few pieces and eat them someplace else, but won't return. I'm afraid she's not getting the nutrients she needs to grow more and be healthy. I'm not sure what to do. I was going to buy her some soft food and see how that played out. This is my first puppy so of course I'm worried about every little thing, but any suggestions?

Answers

Best Answer

Please take your puppy to your veterinarian immediately as something is very wrong if she is not eating! If you delay the vet visit, she may die as she is not getting the food she needs.

My 4 or 5 week old pitbull will not eat. I have to force feed babby milk and it won't touch dog food. What should I do?

Sharon from Beaumont, TX

Answers

By Guest (Guest Post)

Please bring your puppy to a veterinarian! Puppies are not do-it-yourself projects. I'm sure you mean well but BRING THE DOG TO A VET.

By Susan (Guest Post)

Is the puppy's mom around? Puppies need to be their mothers/littermates untill they are 8 weeks old.

By (Guest Post)

the mom is not around she think i am the mom she is okay now

Typically pups are weaned from the mother at 6weeks. this is a very young pup to be weaned off mother but it can be done with a healthy pup and alot of patience . I'm assuming you are using a baby bottle and nipple to feed.

check that there's not a cleft palate. You should be using some sort of puppy formula(store bought) or a homemade formula with syrup and egg and pwd milk mix (you can look that up) A trip to the vet would not hurt.

By ROSA (Guest Post)

Your puppy is way too young to be taken away from mama -you will probably have to get a pet bottle feeder, and please call your vet for the proper food to feed him, WHY in the world did whoever you got the puppy from let go too early, Puppies should be at least 6 weeks and 8 weeks is preferable . PLEASE contact your family vet !

By Connie Robins (Guest Post)

First, your puppy may need a thorough check-up by a vet. It's expensive, but well worth the price if you want this puppy to live and be happy. Before the vet expense though, I would try cooked oatmeal. The puppy is not yet old enough to be eating solid dog/puppy foods. The oatmeal has nutrients that are good for it.

If the pup still won't eat, then it's best to let a vet check it to determine the cause. I have always started my puppies on oatmeal for at least a week, then gradually adding a bit of puppy dry food and increasing the dry food until they're no longer having the oatmeal. However, I've never had the same problem of them refusing to eat.

If you don't know that a puppy this young should not yet be weaned, why have you taken on this dog? What shots has the puppy had? Has he been wormed? Which vet was involved in this?

If you haven't been to a vet, go now, to set up his schedule of shots and see that he is microchipped as well.

Otherwise, a puppy with this poor start in life (early weaning and no socialization) may have serious psychological problems later in life.

A puppy is a dog, not a human.

O.

Anonymous

Holy cow!!! Who in the world allowed you to have such a young puppy?????
This baby is waaaaay too young to be away from it's mother. No wonder it won't eat!!!
Take your baby to the vet and they will advise you on what type of formula the puppy needs until it's old enough to eat solid food.
I also have another concern about the pup being taken away from it's mother and litter mates so soon. Unless your pup is exposed to other animals and people handling it, it's probably going to develop socialization problems. This is a very critical time in the development of the pup's life and without the needed exposure, your pup will grow into a dog with behavioral issues. Your puppy is a Pitt Bull and the last thing you need is a Pitt with people aggression and/or dog aggression issues. Your pup could also become just the opposite; shy, fearful of people and other animals and could possibly become a fear biter.
I don't mean to scare you but I am a professional dog trainer and many of the dogs I train are from shelters and rescues and many of the behavioral problems I see could have been avoided in the early developmental stage of their lives.
Good luck and please get your baby to the vet NOW.

By deeva (Guest Post)

Take it to the vet. I had a dog that wouldn't eat and it was because it had no shots and there was a virus going around.

By (Guest Post)

My nephew just purchased a puppy (4months old) and the same thing is happing. Stopped eating lost alot of weight, my nephew took it to the vet and updated the vaccines it needed. He started eating but not as much, he is still having problems with the puppies weight. Any advice in food to feed or puppy supplements that he can give would be greatly app.

By Katelin (Guest Post)

Yes, everyone is right. Pups should not be taken from their mothers before 6 weeks, personally, I won't ween or take a pup unless it is 8 weeks old. The pup needs to be with its mother and littermates for early development and nutrition. Take the pup to the vet immediately, they can get you headded in the right direction as far as nutritional needs. Bottle feeding will probably be a must, and I would recommend it.

By Krystal (Guest Post)

Yes this puppy is way too little to be away from its mother and siblings but don't freet you can do it and the puppy can be just fine it's just gonna take awhile for it to adjust you must give it attention and take to the vet ASAP! I breed Blue Pitbulls and I would recommend that you buy a really good puppy kibble and a good milk supplement/ puppy formula which can come in powder form or in liquid for puppies. Get the milk supplement and mix it according to the directions on the label then with a blender chop up some of the puppy kibble and add the puppy formula to it you can also mix some canned puppy food to the mixture as well. Feed this to your puppy hopefully it'll help put some weight on him/her.

By Jessica (Guest Post)

My husband and I got our Pups at 4 weeks because the mother was being relocated. We soaked PuppyChow in replacement milk (buy at any pet store) and they ate in less than 24 hours

By Patryk (Guest Post)

I love when people go on here to get help and somebody says take it to the vet and let them tell you what to do. Some people don't have 100s dollars to spend on a vet. Vets are horrible these days just like doctor you have to pay a load of money for everything.

By CARLOS (Guest Post)

Man after reading everything in here I feel guilty. I got a pit 4 weeks old that I got last Friday. He's been crying and barely eating and I had feeling why, but I didn't know that pups should be with mommy at least 6 or 7 weeks. I still have a chance to return it to mommy. I just hope that nothing harmful happens to my pup.

By (Guest Post)

I just wanted to say that puppies are ok to leave at 8 weeks.

My husband and I adopted a puppy from the pound and he has kennel cough. They gave us the medicine for him, but I still can't get him to eat like he should be eating.

They also told me he was 11 weeks old, but they found him as a stray so who knows. He is very tiny and malnourished. I just don't know what I should do or what kind of food to give him. Please help.

By krystle from Killeen, TX

My 4 week old Yorkie will not eat or drink. I was told to try and make him drink. Kits are not working. There have been no flu symptoms. All he wants to do is to lay down and sleep. Help.

My new puppy won't eat. What could be wrong?

By matt rivers from Green Cove Springs, FL

I have a 2 month old Lab mixed with a German Shepherd that I brought home from the pet store 2 days ago. However all it does is lie around and sleep. She also does not eat, other than a spoonful or 2 of wet food. However when she interacts with other dogs she seems fine, but still doesn't eat. Is she nervous and scared and need time to adjust since she's only been around other dogs. Or is taking it to the vet the best choice?

Load More