Puppy is Not Eating

It can be disturbing when your puppy refuses to eat. This is a guide about puppy is not eating.

This is a guide about Shih Tzu puppy not eating. Puppies can sometimes be very picky eaters causing their people concern.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have a 3 month old puppy that just stopped eating. She now weighs about 5lbs. She eats a can of dog food and then no more. Her feet have turned dark and I am afraid she's gonna die. I have tried Ensure and any kind of food I think she may like. But still nothing. Please help before she dies. Please.

By Alma from Georgia

Answers

Best Answer

Please take the dog to the vet ASAP! There is something seriously wrong with it.

Best Answer

Take the pup to a Vet right away. If money is a problem most vets will allow you to make payments. Some will treat you pet for nothing because they have funds just for that. Call your Vets in advance to see who has payment plans or free treatment. Good luck to you.

Best Answer

This sounds like organ failure, maybe kidney or liver. Or it could be an intestinal blockage so major it is actually shutting off circulation.

You are asking what to do online instead of taking it to the vet. I assume this means you can't afford vet care for your pet. You will need to find the money for the vet visit and medicine or other care. This is an emergency.

I recently got a puppy and she won't eat her food or drink water. I gave her a fourth of the little Ceaser's wet food she tried eating it but lost interest, I tried giving her water and she didn't pay any attention to it even when I dipped my finger in the bowl. Do you think I should give her puppy milk instead?

By Melissa F.

I got my puppy 2 days ago, I was told she is only 2 months old and so far all she does is drink a lot of water and won't touch her food. We gave her hard food that her owner was giving her and she will take a few pieces and eat them someplace else, but won't return. I'm afraid she's not getting the nutrients she needs to grow more and be healthy. I'm not sure what to do. I was going to buy her some soft food and see how that played out. This is my first puppy so of course I'm worried about every little thing, but any suggestions?

Answers

Best Answer

Please take your puppy to your veterinarian immediately as something is very wrong if she is not eating! If you delay the vet visit, she may die as she is not getting the food she needs.

My 4 or 5 week old pitbull will not eat. I have to force feed babby milk and it won't touch dog food. What should I do?

Sharon from Beaumont, TX

Answers

Please bring your puppy to a veterinarian! Puppies are not do-it-yourself projects. I'm sure you mean well but BRING THE DOG TO A VET.

Is the puppy's mom around? Puppies need to be their mothers/littermates untill they are 8 weeks old.

the mom is not around she think i am the mom she is okay now

Typically pups are weaned from the mother at 6weeks. this is a very young pup to be weaned off mother but it can be done with a healthy pup and alot of patience . I'm assuming you are using a baby bottle and nipple to feed. check that there's not a cleft palate. You should be using some sort of puppy formula(store bought) or a homemade formula with syrup and egg and pwd milk mix (you can look that up) A trip to the vet would not hurt.

Your puppy is way too young to be taken away from mama -you will probably have to get a pet bottle feeder, and please call your vet for the proper food to feed him, WHY in the world did whoever you got the puppy from let go too early, Puppies should be at least 6 weeks and 8 weeks is preferable . PLEASE contact your family vet !

First, your puppy may need a thorough check-up by a vet. It's expensive, but well worth the price if you want this puppy to live and be happy. Before the vet expense though, I would try cooked oatmeal. The puppy is not yet old enough to be eating solid dog/puppy foods. The oatmeal has nutrients that are good for it. If the pup still won't eat, then it's best to let a vet check it to determine the cause. I have always started my puppies on oatmeal for at least a week, then gradually adding a bit of puppy dry food and increasing the dry food until they're no longer having the oatmeal. However, I've never had the same problem of them refusing to eat.

If you don't know that a puppy this young should not yet be weaned, why have you taken on this dog? What shots has the puppy had? Has he been wormed? Which vet was involved in this?

If you haven't been to a vet, go now, to set up his schedule of shots and see that he is microchipped as well.

Otherwise, a puppy with this poor start in life (early weaning and no socialization) may have serious psychological problems later in life.

A puppy is a dog, not a human.

O.

Anonymous

Holy cow!!! Who in the world allowed you to have such a young puppy?????
This baby is waaaaay too young to be away from it's mother. No wonder it won't eat!!!
Take your baby to the vet and they will advise you on what type of formula the puppy needs until it's old enough to eat solid food.
I also have another concern about the pup being taken away from it's mother and litter mates so soon. Unless your pup is exposed to other animals and people handling it, it's probably going to develop socialization problems. This is a very critical time in the development of the pup's life and without the needed exposure, your pup will grow into a dog with behavioral issues. Your puppy is a Pitt Bull and the last thing you need is a Pitt with people aggression and/or dog aggression issues. Your pup could also become just the opposite; shy, fearful of people and other animals and could possibly become a fear biter.
I don't mean to scare you but I am a professional dog trainer and many of the dogs I train are from shelters and rescues and many of the behavioral problems I see could have been avoided in the early developmental stage of their lives.
Good luck and please get your baby to the vet NOW.

Take it to the vet. I had a dog that wouldn't eat and it was because it had no shots and there was a virus going around.

My nephew just purchased a puppy (4months old) and the same thing is happing. Stopped eating lost alot of weight, my nephew took it to the vet and updated the vaccines it needed. He started eating but not as much, he is still having problems with the puppies weight. Any advice in food to feed or puppy supplements that he can give would be greatly app.

Yes, everyone is right. Pups should not be taken from their mothers before 6 weeks, personally, I won't ween or take a pup unless it is 8 weeks old. The pup needs to be with its mother and littermates for early development and nutrition. Take the pup to the vet immediately, they can get you headded in the right direction as far as nutritional needs. Bottle feeding will probably be a must, and I would recommend it.

Yes this puppy is way too little to be away from its mother and siblings but don't freet you can do it and the puppy can be just fine it's just gonna take awhile for it to adjust you must give it attention and take to the vet ASAP! I breed Blue Pitbulls and I would recommend that you buy a really good puppy kibble and a good milk supplement/ puppy formula which can come in powder form or in liquid for puppies. Get the milk supplement and mix it according to the directions on the label then with a blender chop up some of the puppy kibble and add the puppy formula to it you can also mix some canned puppy food to the mixture as well. Feed this to your puppy hopefully it'll help put some weight on him/her.

My husband and I got our Pups at 4 weeks because the mother was being relocated. We soaked PuppyChow in replacement milk (buy at any pet store) and they ate in less than 24 hours

I love when people go on here to get help and somebody says take it to the vet and let them tell you what to do. Some people don't have 100s dollars to spend on a vet. Vets are horrible these days just like doctor you have to pay a load of money for everything.

Man after reading everything in here I feel guilty. I got a pit 4 weeks old that I got last Friday. He's been crying and barely eating and I had feeling why, but I didn't know that pups should be with mommy at least 6 or 7 weeks. I still have a chance to return it to mommy. I just hope that nothing harmful happens to my pup.

I just wanted to say that puppies are ok to leave at 8 weeks.

I just got my almost 5 week old pit bull puppy yesterday. I thought it was too young but the breeder asssured me she was doing great. I hesitated but brought her home and she eats alot!!! I am mixing in some wet puppy food and some small bites puppy kibble together and she chows down. I am feeding her 5-6 times daily small amounts and she is drinking water too. She sleeps in the bed with me since my husband and I also let our 15 month old puggle sleep with us too. They love each other (the dogs) and she seems to be doing great. During the day she naps in a laundry basket on a pillow. She seems very happy and content.

Make sure if you rescue your puppy you need to make sure you know what food they were eating previously to you owning them. A change in their diet can make them very sick. If they are not eating trying putting them on a low residue puppy food. I know IAMS makes a really good one. Try using half wet half dry. If they still aren't eating after all that you should definitely take them to the vet and let them know what is going on. It is important for your puppy to get the food and water they need.

What should I feed him and how long?

hey well baby food might work but normaly they dont eat dog food till they r 6 weeks good luck i hope it starts eating soon

4 weeks is entirely too early to release puppies. They need their mothers milk for strength and antibodies against infection and sickness. They can be put on milk replacer and wet food combined to help, but the milk should at least still be there for them until week 5 if not later. Their 1st shots will help, but mothers milk is best.

I've just brought home a 10 week old Shih Tzu Jack Russel X. She's a good weight and seems well. I bought the same puppy food she had been on, Optimum, but she won't eat anything. I have had her for 2 days now and she's only drinking. Can I give her anything else like rice?

I have a 11 week old Pomeranian mixed with Maltese, who's giving me trouble with eating. Please advise.

My husband and I adopted a puppy from the pound and he has kennel cough. They gave us the medicine for him, but I still can't get him to eat like he should be eating.

They also told me he was 11 weeks old, but they found him as a stray so who knows. He is very tiny and malnourished. I just don't know what I should do or what kind of food to give him. Please help.

By Krystle from Killeen, TX

Three days ago my dog started acting sick. She will drink water, but won't eat. I tried deworming her yesterday. Now she throws up just a little bit of the water, maybe the size of a quarter, some of the times when she drinks.

I have a 6 week old puppy. I've had her for 2 weeks because her mom died. I started off giving her milk, but she started doing great with eating regular puppy food. She is a Chihuahua and my mom accidentally stepped on her. Her equilibrium is off, but I have been giving her water throughout the day. She can't walk she only gets up to go pee. She won't take any dog food though. I have no way of getting her to the vet. What can I do for her? Will she be okay if she doesn't eat for a couple days, but I keep her hydrated? Help!

My dog had a litter of pups 6 weeks ago Saturday and now a few of them are not eating or drinking water. We dewormed them and one pooped worms and is doing fine, but now the other 2 males are getting sick. Any advice before I call a vet?

My 4 week old Yorkie will not eat or drink. I was told to try and make him drink. Kits are not working. There have been no flu symptoms. All he wants to do is to lay down and sleep. Help.

I have a 10 week old female Pit Bull that my adult pit birthed. She used to be the biggest of 11 pups throughout the nursing and weaning process. After introducing soft puppy food at 7 1/2 weeks she did great and was still host of the pack. For the last week or 10 days she absolutely will not eat her food, table food, or anything at all. She drinks plenty of water, but when she pees it's a thicker consistency than normal. Anyone ever experience this? What's her deal cuz my vet won't be back in the office till the 13th. Any suggestions or home remedies?

My new puppy won't eat. What could be wrong?

By Matt from Green Cove Springs, FL

I have a 12 week old German Shepherd puppy that has stopped eating, but drinks a lot of water. He did eat yesterday, but I came in to find that he had thrown-up his food. He is now eating very little compared to what he usually eats. I will be taking him to the vet tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what may be the problem.

I have a three months old GSD puppy. She stopped eating as of 3 days ago and she has lost a lot of weight and also reduced in size. Please what do I do to help her condition?

I have a puppy that will be 6 weeks old on March 2nd. The mother started weening her at 4 weeks. The person I got her from said she has been eating puppy food and drinking, but I haven't been able to get her to drink any water or eat very much. What should I do?

I have a 2 month old Lab mixed with a German Shepherd that I brought home from the pet store 2 days ago. However all it does is lie around and sleep. She also does not eat, other than a spoonful or 2 of wet food. However when she interacts with other dogs she seems fine, but still doesn't eat. Is she nervous and scared and need time to adjust since she's only been around other dogs. Or is taking it to the vet the best choice?

8 week old puppy who is not eating, but is drinking water.

By Donna

I have an Indian Spitz puppy who has just turned 3 months old. Yesterday, she was very playful and had enough food and was clearly healthy. We used to feed her with Drools (S) and yesterday we started giving her Drools (M). This morning she refused to eat or drink anything. She vomited 3 times and on contacting the vet, he has said it must be because of the sudden change in her food or because she hasn't been dewormed. In the morning, we gave milk in a dropper and that seems to work. But she's always sleeping and biting if we try to feed her. Can someone help?

Thanks

I got a puppy almost a week ago. She went to the vet the next day and had her first shots and the vet wormed her too. She didn't seem to want to eat too much when we got her, but was weighed at 3.70kg. She will be 8 weeks old on Sunday and she doesn't seem to want to eat and has had soft stools for 2 days. She is still drinking and is very playful and she will eat occasionally, but seems to be losing weight. I can see her hip bones when she is standing. Please help. I am very worried and not sure if she could be fretting for her mum and siblings.

Although, my father has an income, it has been maxed out due to medical bills, medication, two funerals, and furnace replacement. This is on top of a mortgage that has gone backwards. He doesn't qualify for home improvement loans, and the house is unlivable without them. He is presently in a nursing home and facing bankruptcy if an answer isn't found soon. We have offered to move in with him and make arrangements for the repairs and pay the loan payments ourselves, but we do not qualify for such a large loan either. Is there any hope?

My dad's friend gave me a six week old puppy and he will not eat at all. He drinks water, but won't eat. I even tried milk. I don't know what to do.

We have just recently been given a, 6-8 week old puppy, that the vet has given medicines for hookworms and roundworms. That seems to be taking care of getting rid of them, but she is still not wanting to eat. She drinks lots of water and will eat when we force feed her as the vet showed us, but not on her own. Any suggestions?

My dog is a full bred Shih Tzu and is about 6 months old. He recently entered puberty, I believe, and has not been eating and is calmer than usual. Is this normal, could something be wrong with him? He still plays and runs, but just hasn't been eating much and gets lazy at some points in the day.

By Johana

I have a 6 week old pup that has stopped eating. She had been doing fine eating mush kibble from 4 weeks. The pup is still with her mum, brother, and sister. The rest of the pups are eating fine. Please help. They are Yorkie pups.

By kq