Training a Pit Bull

I am getting a pit bull puppy and i just want some advice on training her. Advice about potty training, chewing, biting, etc. would be great.

Loretta from Calgary, AB

Answers:

Training a Pit Bull

Never, never spank your puppy. Use the word "no" when it does something wrong. Praise the puppy when it does something right. Like Pete said provide lots of chew toys. We have had our puppy since it was 4 weeks old and have never spanked him. Changing the tone in our voice when saying "no" did the trick. He hasn't had an accident in the house since he was 4 months old. We now have a doggie door and he uses it all the time. Good luck and be patient and give your pup lots of love. Puppies are fun. (10/11/2005)

By rlf323

Training a Pit Bull

My husband and I raised our son's pit bull, Natasha, after he brought her home and then went off to school. She is almost 4 years old. She has always been very energetic to the point of getting into "mischief" if she doesn't get the exercise she needs. That means taking her outdoors several times a day to "do her business" and play fetch. She was easy to train, as we were careful to take her out shortly after meals, before bedtime and first thing in the morning.

The exercise and activity are good for us and essential for her! Remember that her genes gave her very strong jaws, body, legs, etc. In the excitement of playing fetch, if she gets a finger or hand by mistake, it hurts! Be patient, kind, and gentle and she will be a wonderful pet. But always remember the pit bull genes are for incredible strength, lightening fast reflexes, including chasing a neighbor's cat or child. You have undertaken a great responsibility and must provide the best protection of her and people and property around her as possible. (10/12/2005)

By wonfivegolf

Training a Pit Bull

I just got a 12 week old pit bull puppy from an animal shelter. She has accidents at night because she can not hold it that long, but we do not punish her for it. When a puppy is 10 months old, they will finally be able to hold it for 8 hours. When she bites, I either snap my fingers or say ouch, this seems to work. She has not bitten me since. Good luck in raising your new puppy. They are very intelligent animals. Mine learned to sit and shake hands in two days using hand signals. When mine bites on shoes, or the couch i tell her no and give her one of her toys to chew on. (05/09/2007)

By Melaniedawn

Training a Pit Bull
House Training a Pit Bull
House Training a Pit Bull Puppy
Pit Bull Puppy
Training a Pit Bull Puppy
Friendly Pit Bull
Raising a Friendly Pit Bull
Pit Bull
Training a Rescued Pit Bull
🎄
🍂