Treating Poison Oak

My husband has poison oak on his leg. Any ideas on how to cure it?

By Elizabeth D.

This works on poison ivy. I have never tried it on poison oak. In half cup of rubbing alcohol add 6 crushed Beyer aspirin. I not sure if it must be Beyer or if another brand will work. Apply this to the area first thing in the morning, twice during the day and before bed,. Of course, be sure that everything that has touched at area is cleaned and that included chairs, bedding, car seat, and clothes. This should dry the blisters in about a day or two. Good luck. Would you let me know if it works? Thanks.

I know this works great for poison ivy, take a green tomatoe and cut it into wedges and rub it all over the poison oak/ivy and within a few days it will be completely dried up.

I don't know about the poison oak, but with poison ivy, if you can use alcohol on it immediately after exposure, this will take care of it. If not immediately, then use this as soon as possible. If you find that you did not catch it in time, take 3 to 4 grams of vitamin C every three to four hours, or when you feel that skin crawly sensation return. After 5 days of this treatment, the poison ivy should be completely gone. I hope this helps with poison oak as well!

My husband and I both have been inundated with poison oak. I had it so bad two years ago that my eyes were swollen shut! Anyway, I used plain rubbing alcohol on it to dry it out. Every time I started itching, I just took a cotton ball soak in the alcohol and rubbed it over the spots. My husband used this tip too, but he used all the alcohol and didn't tell me so we ran out. He tried straight bleach and that worked too. But, I'd be afraid of the bleach burning my skin if I was sensitive to it, which I am.

My husband can look at the stuff and break out. I buy Ivarest at the drug store and it works for him. Also, and I don't know for sure about this one but a doctor told my mom years and years ago to use Octagon soap on it. That would be an old timey cure.