Treating Your Pet's Ringworms

Category Health
Cat's Ringworm
As most pet owners know ringworms are not actually a worm but rather a highly contagious fungal infection This is a guide about treating a dog with ringworms.

I just noticed my cat had patches on the side of its head. Where there is loss of hair it looks like ringworm. Can I safely get rid of these ringworms without going to the vet? I don't have the money, but I would do anything for my cat.

By Joann from Brooklyn, NY

Anonymous

Here is a link (with photos) that you should read:

http://www.cat-  ringworm-in-cats

And here's another link:

http://www.fabc  in/ringworm.html

If what you are seeing does not look like the photos in these two links and/or looks at all infected I suggest taking your baby to the vet even if it means begging to be able to make payments for the vet bill. Also, keep in mind that sometimes cats just rub their ears, head or mouth area on rough surfaces now and then because it simply feels good to them. I had a cat that did that and he would have little bald spots on his ears and broken whiskers once in awhile too because of it but since there was no infection or disease I knew there was nothing to worry about. He simply had bald ears and broken whiskers now and then ;-)

Cat hair is scant between ear and eye. Looks like half shot of hair. Ringworm is quite noticeable. Easy treated with athletes foot spray, but not right around the eye. Tinactin, Dr Scholls, any common known brand.

Thank you so much for the info.

Thank you.

You can buy the same cream men use for jock itch, believe it or not, ringworm IS the same fungal problem. Wash your very good after each time you put the cream on. About 3 to 4 times per day.

Diluted apple cider vinegar and water rinse after uou bathe cat keep them warm and dry

What do you use to get rid of a ringworm on dog's face?

By Barbara from KY

Answers

You need to use iodine, that is the ONLY product that really does work on animals. Always use a fresh, new q-tip to dip into the iodine and rub on the ringworm, never use the applicator included in the bottle! You will need to apply it at least 2 times a day for at least 7 days straight, 10 days would be even better.

Wash all bedding the dog has been on and be careful cuz you and your kids can catch it easily. If you do, use the same treatment! If any of it is near the dogs eyes, always put some mineral oil in his eyes before treating to protect them.

Dear Barbara, Please take you fur baby to his Veterinarian, he needs to have a skin scraping done to make sure it is ringworm and your Vet will prescribe the proper medication. Home Remedies do not work. Good luck

I understand the first poster only has your pets best interest in mind. With that said, I went to the vet and had my dogs tested for ringworm. It cost $50 per dog and took more than 2 weeks for the test to come back. It was ringworm and he gave me a $20.00 bottle of shampoo to wash them with. I would try the iodine first. It seems like it makes more sense to use the shampoo and if it works great if not then test.

Tea Tree Oil works wonders on ringworm. It's also very very safe for kids, pets, living things in general. Rub gently with a cotton swab dipped in tea tree oil two or three times a day until the spots are healed (you should be able to get this at rite aid, walgreens or a health food store; maybe GNC, too). I have used this on both pets and people with fantastic results.

Tea tree is very toxic to cats

My dog has ringworms. He has one lesion on the side of his belly by his back leg. I have been using Lotrimin cream and it is working, but he keeps trying to lick it off. What home remedy can I use to make sure he doesn't lick the medicine?

By Karen from Gulfport, MS

You could try Vet Wrap. It is a stretchy, tacky wrap on a roll. It is good at staying in place and it breathes. It comes under many names and is usually available at tack stores and sometimes the drugstore. Otherwise you need an elizabethan collar. If the ringworm doesn't clear quickly, see your Vet.

On vacation in Sept. my dog caught ringworm also, we were far from a vet, so we talked to a Pharmacist

that told us to use Miconazole Nitrate 2%, it's a anti-fungal cream, for athlete foot & relieves itching & ringworm. We used it & in less than a week 2x a day, the red was gone. Don't be surprised that your dog breaks out with more. Use for 2 weeks, just cover it lightly. Good Luck. I promise this stuff is great for $2.29. Don't worry they will fade after 2 weeks.

You need to get one of those plastic cones that go around the dog's head so the mouth can't reach the body. I have also seen a very thick padded collar that is supposed to do the same thing at pet stores.

I have a four month old Basset Hound puppy that the vet says has ringworms. I have bathed him in the medicated shampoo and used the cream she gave me, but he just doesn't seem to be getting better. Does anyone know of something to get rid of these things?

Patsy

Answers

Miconazole nitrate 2% anti-fungal cream works & is very inexpensive. My vet suggested it when we where on vacation.Tthe red spots were gone the next day, but you have to use it for 2 weeks.

Miconazole nitrate 2% is the active ingredient in yeast infection cream. Much cheaper than the vet prescription but you will still need to get a cone so your pet doesn't lick it off like mine does.