Unclogging a Bathtub

I need some help in cleaning out my bathtub drain. I have used "Plumbers Helper" like it was going out of style but still no results. Plunging has been almost a daily chore and still no relief. How about a few ideas? Help!

Louis from Sarasota, FL

Answers:

Unclogging a Bathtub

If you have an old tub with the lever type stopper sometimes those get to the point where they don't go either open or closed all the way. This will cause it to drain slowly. My DH removed the plate where the lever is and pulled the stopper thingy out and put the plate back on. We bought a rubber stopper at the dollar store. It drains fine now. (02/19/2009)

By MartyD

Unclogging a Bathtub

Best of luck. Last summer, our tub wouldn't drain. The plumber found that our P-trap had disintegrated. We ended up taking backyard showers for 6 weeks (after dark of course) until we could find the $6000 to replace the trap and some rotted pipes under our 40 year old house. (02/20/2009)

By Leslie

Unclogging a Bathtub

Quick fix: Take a pair of needle-nose pliers and pull out the hair at the top of the drain. My bathtub was clogged and I blamed my white dog's bath; nope, the culprit was me! The proof is always in the drain, lots of brown hair. (02/21/2009)

By KLJohn

Unclogging a Bathtub

I just did mine yesterday. I put in the baking soda followed with vinegar. Let it sit about 15 minutes then followed up by turning on the hot water. Yet no results. Then I took a plunger, plunged it a couple of times and I heard gurgle, gurgle and now the water is draining beautifully. Hope this works for you. (02/21/2009)

By Kinga

Unclogging a Bathtub

As far as exactly how to get rid of the clog, I am not sure. I have heard a lot of theories about vinegar, baking soda, hot water from a tea kettle. I don't know. However, if it turns out your clog is caused by excess hair, invest in a small rubber mesh drain screen. I bought one for about $1.00 or $2.00 at Big Lots. $2.00 could save you hundreds in the future by keeping hair out of your drain. (02/21/2009)

By crazyliblady

Unclogging a Bathtub

If you have the kind of tub drain with an overflow fitting that has a lever on it to open or close the drain, just remove the screws and pull the whole shebang out of the overflow hole. Clean the hair and gunk off of that icky thing, then stuff a wet rag in the overflow hole and plunge like mad at the drain with hot water flowing till it runs freely. Now reassemble it and you should be good to go. (03/19/2009)

By Red Neck

Clearing a Clogged Bathtub Drain, Pulling Hair From Clogged Drain
Clearing a Clogged Bathtub Drain
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Photo of decals stuck to the bottom of a bathtub.
Removing Bathtub Decals
A bathtub.
Cleaning a Textured Bathtub Floor
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
🎉
🎄