Updating on Old Rock Fireplace

Updating on Old Rock Fireplace

We tore the fireplace insert out and are going to replace it with the old wood-stove that I had in my childhood home. I am looking for ideas; I am really into rustic, western, nature, and just old decor in general. It is a rock fireplace and pretty large, any ideas for this space? I have even thought about taking the shelves out of one or both sides.

BluHeelerz from Seagrove

Answers:

Updating on Old Rock Fireplace

A pair of old cowboy boots lashed together with leather cord, and used to hold wheat stalks, bittersweet, pheasant feathers, etc. makes a good western sit-about. Use horseshoes arranged in a quilt type pattern to decorate a wall. Use strips of calico to tie them together.

I once took colored buttons and glued them to cardstock to look like different fruits for a kitchen project, wonder if you could do this on cork board in a good barn wood frame, and make it look like a wild mustang head. Wow just found myself a new project too!
(01/28/2009)

By Dedeswrkshop

Updating on Old Rock Fireplace

Oh yeah, forgot this idea! Make an enclosed closet out of the existing shelving. You can use an old outhouse door, or a hutch type cabinet using framed chicken wire. (01/28/2009)

By Dedeswrkshop

Updating on Old Rock Fireplace

If you are ready to get rid of the fireplace, then go ahead and get rid of the shelving as well. Paint where the shelves were, you will be surprised at how much difference taking the shelves out will make. Good luck, and please post pictures, regardless of the final decision. We would all love to see the final outcome. (01/29/2009)

By TLin8632

Updating on Old Rock Fireplace

I wouldn't do anything except paint the mantel black. I might think about painting the bookcases black as well. If you don't like black, think about white. But I think black fits into your Western theme better. White can be prissy.

Most people are building bookcases alongside their fireplaces and TVs so I can't see removing those wonderful bookcases when you have them. They add value to your home as they look like built-ins.

Also, I was going to recommend painting your stone fireplace until I read further and saw you like the western type decorating. I think this stone work fits nicely.

Go with your gut feelings when making these decisions. No one else knows what you feel like inside and you are the only person you have to please. You know best what is good for you.

Good luck. (01/30/2009)

By Carol in PA

Updating on Old Rock Fireplace

I am sure whatever you do it will look great. Just adding a lightened version of the picture because I couldn't see it too well.
Good luck to you.

(01/31/2009)

By Monique :)

RE: Updating on Old Rock Fireplace

Rock Fireplace with a recliner in front
Updating on Old Rock Fireplace
Logs burning in a fireplace.
Cleaning Your Fireplace
Tile Backsplash
Updating a Tile Backsplash
Decorative Fireplace
Making a Decorative Fireplace
Homemade rock candy.
Homemade Rock Candy
🎄
🍂