Updating Your Kitchen Cabinets

Category Kitchen
Updating your kitchen cabinets is one way to freshen up the room without the cost of replacing the cabinets. This is a guide about updating your kitchen cabinets.

I would like some ideas on up dating oak cabinets?

By tbone

Answers

Best Answer

Sanding and painting can be a good way to update. Just take the doors down so you can work on them outside. However, if you do not like the doors, you can just replace them with new ones. Changing hardware to something more modern will make a huge difference. Plus, to me what dates kitchen cabinets are the hinges. Adding the hinges that are hidden on the inside would really make a difference. You would have to fill the holes left on the outside and fine a stain to cover it.

Best Answer

You've gotten great ideas all ready. I would add that it is popular to use open shelving, leaving off the doors or even adding glass panels instead of the oak panels would give them a more undated look.

Also painting an island a different color is popular or adding bun feet to the cabinets make it look like a separate piece of furniture, you could also paint this a different color than the cabinets.

I need to update my kitchen and I do not want to replace the appliances. I currently have the old 70s dark walnut cabinets and doors have been painted white. The floor is white and I just removed all the wallpaper so the walls need painted. What should I do with the cabinet doors? What is a good color to paint the walls? Thanks for all your help.

By tracy from Big Lake, AK

Answers:

Updating My Kitchen Cabinets

I would go with white. You can always hang up decorations to make your walls look festive.

As for the kitchen cabinets: you could update them by getting thin plywood made to measure, and then glue it on, carefully. Then you can do anything you want to the cabinets, paint them, or decoupage them (love that technique on serving trays, too). Just cover the paper up with three coats of varnish and you are good to go. (07/05/2009)

By syl_ver

I need other ways to update my kitchen cabinets. I made the mistake of painting them brown. I will welcome any ideas.

Iliana from Chicago, IL

Answers:

Updating My Kitchen Cabinets

I'd think twice about trying to cut designs into them. Have you thought about how hard they'll be to keep clean? My cabinets in the house we have now have an inset finish with a lip all the way around. I have to brush/scrub with a tooth brush to clean the little ledges.

We bought a house with very old cabinets that were also cracking and bubbling (had been for a long time!) so I removed all the doors, stripped and refinished them. You have to do the facings also. I used the same pulls and knobs but you could get others to match your decor. You could paint rather than refinish. I prefer the wood look to ANY paint but that's just me. (03/16/2009)

By Judi

Updating My Kitchen Cabinets

You don't say what color of brown and whether you are able to repaint. If it is a dark brown, you could do a light coat of white over it and sand edges lightly for a distressed look. Or if you want to redo, remove doors, strip completely, sand and stain lightly with a washed oak stain (my personal favorite) that will lighten up the cupboards, seal with a good clear coat after though to repel dirt and stains or just repaint with a lighter color.

Test in an insignificant area first before committing. What kind of wood are they? That will determine how stains or glazes will show up. Also if they have a center panel, you could just strip that area, paint it a light color and add a stencil or rub on decal to each one. (03/17/2009)

By Mary Lou

These are my kitchen cabinets. They are at least 30 years old and have sort of a grayish pickled-look veneer, which is cracked, bubbling, and chipped in some places. I'd love to add trim, paint, glaze or otherwise accent them, but I'm stuck on where to begin. I like Tuscan and French Country designs. What type of saw would I need to get to cut basic lattice trim to frame the edges? And what type paint would be best -- oil or latex? Thanks everyone.

Melody T. from Arkansas

Answers:

Updating My Kitchen Cabinets

When I refinished my kitchen cabinets I took off the doors, removed the hardware, sanded the doors, and used a latex primer and paint. I would suggest a latex enamel, it is durable and can stand up to cleaning. Many of the shows that I watch on television actually remove some of the doors entirely and paint the inside of the cupboard, and then display some nice dishes, or glass containers filled with all sorts of dry food items. I think that may look very cute in a Tuscan style kitchen.

Have you ever thought about cutting out the centers of some of the doors and replacing them with glass or some fabric? I have seen some cabinets with cutouts and they used chicken wire to block the cutout and lined the back with a country fabric. I think that you really need to replace the hardware on the cabinets, just that small change alone will make a real difference. Just be prepared, there are SO many choices in hardware anymore that it is next to impossible to choose! Please take pictures of before and after to share with us when your project is all finished! Best of luck to you, Paula (06/18/2008)

By Paula

Updating My Kitchen Cabinets

This is what we did to our kitchen cabinets. They were really out dated. We took them off, glued bead board to them, framed around them with some corner pieces. I painted them then sanded around the edges then stained them (love the old antique look). Here is a picture of the remodel in progress. Also, for the drawer fronts we just used 1 inch pine painted the same and added the hardware. (they don't look as good in the picture, but you get the ideas) I couldn't have been more happier with the way they turned out. (06/18/2008)

By christy