Updating My Kitchen Cabinets

I would like some ideas on up dating oak cabinets?

By tbone

Best Answer

Sanding and painting can be a good way to update. Just take the doors down so you can work on them outside. However, if you do not like the doors, you can just replace them with new ones. Changing hardware to something more modern will make a huge difference. Plus, to me what dates kitchen cabinets are the hinges. Adding the hinges that are hidden on the inside would really make a difference. You would have to fill the holes left on the outside and fine a stain to cover it.

Best Answer

You've gotten great ideas all ready. I would add that it is popular to use open shelving, leaving off the doors or even adding glass panels instead of the oak panels would give them a more undated look. Also painting an island a different color is popular or adding bun feet to the cabinets make it look like a separate piece of furniture, you could also paint this a different color than the cabinets.

Go to your local Lowes or Home Depot and look at the kitchen cabinets they have for sale. If you find a cabinet in a color or stain that you like. You can then go to the paint section of the store and buy a paint or stain the matches. Also check out the hinges and door pulls that are on the cabinets. Sometimes, just changing these items can make a big difference in your kitchen.